Best solution for storing media files

Red Harbinger

hey guys, was wondering if someone could give me some help on the best solution for storing movies and streaming them to my tv. Not sure if a NAS is the best solution, or something like a WD mycloud. My budget is around $500 

If you want the cheapest possible solution (which is what I use) - get a Raspberry Pi, and a hard drive enclosure that plugs into something via USB. If you happen to have a spare hard drive lying around (I did), then pop it into the enclosure, and assuming your router has some USB ports, plug it into that. Setup your Pi and connect it to your home network either using the onboard Ethernet (if you got that model) or by buying a cheap Wifi adapter. Install XBMC or OpenELEC onto your Pi, and boom, there you have it - pretty much the cheapest "media PC" you can get.

I can stream 1080p movies with a high bitrate with absolutely no stuttering whatsoever. The Pi has a built in hardware H.264 decoder which helps a ton with video playback. I use Ethernet though, so your experiences on Wifi may differ from mine.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

hey guys, was wondering if someone could give me some help on the best solution for storing movies and streaming them to my tv. Not sure if a NAS is the best solution, or something like a WD mycloud. My budget is around $500 

Hey Red Harbinger,

Would you like to do the streaming over the network (wireless) or do you have a USB port on your TV and would like to simply use a portable HDD?

Since you have been looking at WD My Cloud, I could say it is great for a home environment to share files over the network and access them from the Internet as well as stream videos on your devices. You can check the other NAS devices that WD offers and see if any of them would also fit your requirements: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/default.aspx?segment=4#jump5

Are you looking for any redundancy, multiple HDD bays, other features? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Red Harbinger,

Would you like to do the streaming over the network (wireless) or do you have a USB port on your TV and would like to simply use a portable HDD?

Since you have been looking at WD My Cloud, I could say it is great for a home environment to share files over the network and access them from the Internet as well as stream videos on your devices. You can check the other NAS devices that WD offers and see if any of them would also fit your requirements: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/default.aspx?segment=4#jump5

Are you looking for any redundancy, multiple HDD bays, other features? 

Captain_WD.

Thank you for the reply, and i am looking for multiply hdd bays. I have a usb on my tv and are currently using a external hardrive, but it get tiresome constantly dragging it back and forth from the computer to the tv and got problems with the cables, so yes i want to stream wirelessly. Looking only at WD, the my cloud ex4 seems to be the only solution that includes multiple hdd bays, but its kind of out of my price range at $780.

Thank you for the reply, and i am looking for multiply hdd bays. I have a usb on my tv and are currently using a external hardrive, but it get tiresome constantly dragging it back and forth from the computer to the tv and got problems with the cables, so yes i want to stream wirelessly. Looking only at WD, the my cloud ex4 seems to be the only solution that includes multiple hdd bays, but its kind of out of my price range at $780.

WD My Cloud Mirror, WD My Cloud EX2 and My Book Live Duo also have multiple HDD bays. All of them have two bays and support RAID0, RAID1 and JBOD. They can also stream to your TV and be used as a media server for file sharing. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Have a try on CloudBacko Pro for backing up your music, videos, photos, etc. means every type of data. You can download CloudBacko pro for free for 30 days and No credit card or personal information are required. Now I'm using this software and its provides us full security and protection to my data.