Replacement Headphones

MrImnotMLG
Go to solution Solved by NannerBeans,

I wasn't worried about price. I was looking to do it myself but found they didn't sell that part separately .

They sell every part separately you just have to call them up. They don't list it any where. I've done it before when I was trying to source some DT990 earcups. The only problem is some parts they have to ship from Germany so it might not be that cheap but it should still be cheaper than getting a new headphone. 

So I just pulled my headphones out of my backpack just 10 minutes ago and found one of the plastic parts that I can't find a replacement for destroyed. I loved my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros for the last 2 years I've had them. I can't believe I have to get rid of them. So I've come to you guys to suggest what I should get next. Should I get something new? Should I stick with Custom One Pro family(I see that they now have a family surrounding it)? I'm willing to go up to $220-ish for a new pair. I want something that is closed and has a detachable cable. For reference, I listen to EDM(and its sub-genres) and Rock(and its sub-genres) for the most part. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I personally love the durability and build quality of the V-Moda headphones. they are built like tanks. I used to own the Crossfade LP until I had to sell them(for a profit) because my ears stick out too much for them.

if V-Moda's headphones fit you, the M100 would be a worthy consideration

Hold on a damn minute, what exactly broke? How do you know Beyer won't fix it for you?

Hold on a damn minute, what exactly broke? How do you know Beyer won't fix it for you?

They have a two year warranty. I just past the end date so I have to do it myself.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

They have a two year warranty. I just past the end date so I have to do it myself.

I didn't mean warranty support. Beyer will still repair headphones after warranty, you just have to pay for it. If you love em so much, seems like you would rather go that route than shell out for a whole new phone. What was the piece that broke?

I didn't mean warranty support. Beyer will still repair headphones after warranty, you just have to pay for it. If you love em so much, seems like you would rather go that route than shell out for a whole new phone. What was the piece that broke?

I guess I will contact customer support to see what I can do. It was the little piece of plastic that connects the fork that houses the headphones to the headband.

I guess I will contact customer support to see what I can do. It was the little piece of plastic that connects the fork that houses the headphones to the headband.

Can't imagine that would be very expensive to repair.

Can't imagine that would be very expensive to repair.

I wasn't worried about price. I was looking to do it myself but found they didn't sell that part separately .

I wonder if the DT one might fit?

They sell every part separately you just have to call them up. They don't list it any where. I've done it before when I was trying to source some DT990 earcups. The only problem is some parts they have to ship from Germany so it might not be that cheap but it should still be cheaper than getting a new headphone. 

Alright once I get my next paycheck I'll call them and order the part and maybe some other pieces because I also just realized how bad the ear pads and headband are doing.

+1 on this. Consumer electronic service centers actually got pretty much every tiny parts ready in stock, mostly for servicing purposes. Some good brands don't mind selling it to you. They don't advertise them, or put the list on their website, because they're not exactly for public consuming. You just got to ask them.

Happened to me once with a Canon camera tiny part. Emailed them, turned out they're willing to sell it to me, with a fairly cheap price. Perhaps he thought I'm a camera servicing guy or something :)

Happened to me again on the Aune T1 amp. Fried the headphone amp part (a separate PCB from the main PCB). Emailed them, and they're willing to sell it to me for a mere $8, fully functional, just plug and play. 

+1 on this. Consumer electronic service centers actually got pretty much every tiny parts ready in stock, mostly for servicing purposes. Some good brands don't mind selling it to you. They don't advertise them, or put the list on their website, because they're not exactly for public consuming. You just got to ask them.

Happened to me once with a Canon camera tiny part. Emailed them, turned out they're willing to sell it to me, with a fairly cheap price. Perhaps he thought I'm a camera servicing guy or something :)

Happened to me again on the Aune T1 amp. Fried the headphone amp part (a separate PCB from the main PCB). Emailed them, and they're willing to sell it to me for a mere $8, fully functional, just plug and play.

Makes me wider if it would be cheaper to buy the parts separately and assemble yourself....

Makes me wider if it would be cheaper to buy the parts separately and assemble yourself....

I think that would have to be an experiment someone here on the forum tries one day.

I think that would have to be an experiment someone here on the forum tries one day.

I know for certain it's not feasible with Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, but I haven't looked into amplifiers.

Definitely cheaper. For example, buy an already printed PCB of an amp from ebay or something, and get the parts, and do the assembly.  But of course gotta consider a few things, such as:

- gotta have basic soldering skill

- gotta know where to get the parts needed

- gotta account for the risks or possibility of frying the whole set, starting all over, and of course wasting more time, money, and effort. I fried 3 PCBs of that T1 in my attempt to de-solder and solder new caps set. It's $8/pc, but I ended up spending $40+