GS30 from Linus video of CES

Its all great but something is just wrong.

Only thing that connects laptop and dock is pcie 16x but dock has few usb ports, audio ports, killer lan. So as expected those ports need to be connected somehow to laptop? So if they are connected to laptop via same pcie than gpu can't take all 16x. But nobody mentioned that in videos about this laptop. 

The gpu wouldn't be able to use all 16 lanes anyways. And as to what msi is planning on doing, no clue. 

The gpu wouldn't be able to use all 16 lanes anyways. And as to what msi is planning on doing, no clue. 

But why they persistently say things like "omg you have full 16x for gpu". pcper did same thing

Laptops with external graphics - we have been chasing this ghost for a long time everyone. We have seen them attempted through ExpressCard slots and more recently through Thunderbolt. MSI has a different plan with the GS30 Shadow - a physical PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot.

If this is what you are referring to. It does say a physical pci express 3.0 x16 slot. Meaning the slot isn't a x1, x4, x8 slot. But it doesn't mention that it will give the graphics card unneeded amounts of lanes. It will distribute them as needed most likely. 

If this is what you are referring to. It does say a physical pci express 3.0 x16 slot. Meaning the slot isn't a x1, x4, x8 slot. But it doesn't mention that it will give the graphics card unneeded amounts of lanes. It will distribute them as needed most likely. 

In one part he says "Compared to alienware solution this is 4 times faster because alienware one runs at pcie 4x" So he basically says that in this config gpu runs at 16x.

In one part he says "Compared to alienware solution this is 4 times faster because alienware one runs at pcie 4x" So he basically says that in this config gpu runs at 16x.

x8 is faster than x4....

x8 is faster than x4....

But not 4 times.

He said 4 times.

But not 4 times.

He said 4 times.

Okay here, the alienware amp provides a pcie x16 slot that runs in pcie x4. That being said, msi provides a x16 slot running in x16. So it can theoretically provide up to 4x the bandwidth that the alienware amp can deliver. Now I am not sure if msi is giving us 16 lanes, along with the 8 lanes the processor itself should have, but the gpu will most likely either be given full 16 lanes while the accessories are given 8 lanes, or vice versa. Either way they decide to go, it won't effect performance. 

Okay here, the alienware amp provides a pcie x16 slot that runs in pcie x4. That being said, msi provides a x16 slot running in x16. So it can theoretically provide up to 4x the bandwidth that the alienware amp can deliver. Now I am not sure if msi is giving us 16 lanes, along with the 8 lanes the processor itself should have, but the gpu will most likely either be given full 16 lanes while the accessories are given 8 lanes, or vice versa. Either way they decide to go, it won't effect performance. 

if accesories are given 8 than gpu can have only 8. It wont affect much performance but it looks like they are misleading us that there is 16x for gpu.

Im talking about whats electrically connected not about type of connector.

if accesories are given 8 than gpu can have only 8. It wont affect much performance but it looks like they are misleading us that there is 16x for gpu.

Im talking about whats electrically connected not about type of connector.

As far as I am able to tell, they aren't telling us that there are full 16 lanes for just the gpu. I think it may be something that linus himself added. 

As far as I am able to tell, they aren't telling us that there are full 16 lanes for just the gpu. I think it may be something that linus himself added. 

Whoever added it can be misleading.

You relize that audio and USB will have no effect on the speed? They won't even use up a full lane.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You relize that audio and USB will have no effect on the speed? They won't even use up a full lane.

Even if they made advanced circuit that splits communication over one lane to usb/audio/lan/gpu thats misleading. They should say more.

Even if they made advanced circuit that splits communication over one lane to usb/audio/lan/gpu thats misleading. They should say more.

Who knows, I don't think it's just a x16 slot on the back of the laptop.

I think it's a custom connector, with audio, USB, and x16

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."