A few questions about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...any of you guys have them?

Whorax

Hey everyone.

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro headphones are one of two headphones I'm considering buying. I've got some questions about them though, and hopefully someone that owns them/has experience using them could answer some of my questions.

1) Are they comfortable? Do the ear cups completely surround the ears, and are they deep enough that my ears won't touch the foam/mesh in the ear cups that's covering the drivers?

2) I see on Amazon they're advertised as being closed headphones, but they can be changed to semi open/open. Does this actually affect the soundstage? Or is this just some gimmick?

3) How is the actual soundstage? I like to get pretty competitive in CS:GO, will these have a large enough soundstage for me to have good directional audio?

4) How breathable are these being closed headphones? How breathable are they with the DT770 velour ear pads that you can replace the stock pads with? I'll most likely get the velour because I don't like that faux leather stuff. It gets way too hot and uncomfortable for me.

5) How is the overall sound quality? I'm no audiophile; I'm actually coming from garbage Turtle Beaches, so anything should be an upgrade. I'm just curious.

I think that's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of other questions I'll go ahead and add them to my list. Please don't make other recommendations. I'm currently deciding between the Sennheiser HD558s and these, and I just want some more information that I can't seem to find anywhere else, so I'm asking you guys.

Thanks. :)

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I've owned them since august of 2013

1) Are they comfortable? Do the ear cups completely surround the ears, and are they deep enough that my ears won't touch the foam/mesh in the ear cups that's covering the drivers?

- They are comfortable and completely surrounds the ears, but for me after a few hours of use my ears will touch the foam.

2) I see on Amazon they're advertised as being closed headphones, but they can be changed to semi open/open. Does this actually affect the soundstage? Or is this just some gimmick?

- They are closed, the semi open part might be because of the bass ports. For me it doesn't affect the soundstage, just the bass response.

3) How is the actual soundstage? I like to get pretty competitive in CS:GO, will these have a large enough soundstage for me to have good directional audio?

- The soundstage isn't that bad but the HD558 is better in that area. For my experience in CS:GO, sometimes I can't tell if the enemy is on the same for floor as me or above/below for the bombsite in nuke.

4) How breathable are these being closed headphones? How breathable are they with the DT770 velour ear pads that you can replace the stock pads with? I'll most likely get the velour because I don't like that faux leather stuff. It gets way too hot and uncomfortable for me.

- Since I don't have speakers and use these most of the time when on the computer, my ears will sweat in about 3 or 4 hours of use depending on the temperature in the room. I have no experience with the DT770 velour ear pads.

5) How is the overall sound quality? I'm no audiophile; I'm actually coming from garbage Turtle Beaches, so anything should be an upgrade. I'm just curious.

- For me the Custom One Pro has a better overall sound quality over the HD558. The advantage of the HD558 is the open design for sound stage and my ears can breathe.

Note: I only used/compared the Custom One Pro to the HD 558 for about 30 mins give or take.

they are basically overpriced dt770s i would get those and a standalone mic or some dt990s and a standalone mic if you want better positional audio since the 770s are closed and the 990s are open

Yeah, I'm still sort of considering the DT990s but I'm concerned about whether or not a mic will pick up leakage from them. I'm really considering the COPs because I think they're some of the best looking headphones I've ever seen, and that sort of thing matters to me. :P

I just want to see how good they are and some other stuff that I haven't been able to find with a quick Google search.

I plan on getting a ModMic 4.0, and eventually an Audio-Technica AT2020, so my mic situation is pretty much set as of now. Just need to choose between some headphones I want.

Привет товарищ ))))

I've owned them since august of 2013

Hmm... Possible accidental post before you finished typing your reply? :P

no I don't think your mic will pick up the headphones most mics are designed to cancel out other noises in the background and if it does pick up you can use software to only activate the mic when a certain level of db is reached. I reccomend you getting a at2020 USB and some dt990s

That's good to hear. I'll definitely consider that, but I still want to keep my options open and get some information on some other potential headphones I'm looking into.

Привет товарищ ))))

they are basically overpriced dt770s i would get those and a standalone mic or some dt990s and a standalone mic if you want better positional audio since the 770s are closed and the 990s are open

Don't they cost less than the DT770's ($180 on Amazon)?

Hmm... Possible accidental post before you finished typing your reply? :P

Yeah, accidentally pressed something on my keyboard.

Yeah, accidentally pressed something on my keyboard.

Thanks for that! I'm still not entirely sure. I guess it comes down to whether or not I think the amazing looks and neat personalization the COPs have to offer outweigh the things that the DT990 Pros and the Sennheiser HD558s have over it. :P

Привет товарищ ))))

That was true when the 770s could be had easily for under $200, now the COPs are not terribly priced compared to other options.

Thanks for that! I'm still not entirely sure. I guess it comes down to whether or not I think the amazing looks and neat personalization the COPs have to offer outweigh the things that the DT990 Pros and the Sennheiser HD558s have over it. :P

COPs are going to have a lot more deep bass than the 990s, if that is something you care about; 990s have a broad peak in the midbass up through the low mids, not to mention the notorious Beyer treble spike.

Hey everyone.

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro headphones are one of two headphones I'm considering buying. I've got some questions about them though, and hopefully someone that owns them/has experience using them could answer some of my questions.

I think that's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of other questions I'll go ahead and add them to my list. Please don't make other recommendations. I'm currently deciding between the Sennheiser HD558s and these, and I just want some more information that I can't seem to find anywhere else, so I'm asking you guys.

I have them and I can answer most of your question.

1) They are definitely comfortable, the issue I had is definitely clamping force, I have been stretching them since then. As for depth is actually depends on how big are your ears. Mine touches a little but no discomfort at the contact points.

2) The adjustable bass ports turns the headphone into semi-open by revealing some air holes. I have never experience the sound stage of an open headphone due to my background and the shop I shop at is not conducive to test out open headphones due to the crowd. I doubt you can increase the sound stage as there are only about 6 air holes (3 on each side), but the bass increase is significant for anyone to pick up.

3) I have never used open ear headphone, so I can't really answer you on sound stage. But you are able to pin-point the location of your opponent in CS GO with Razer Surround software. Is either front, left, right or back, so it also depends on your map awareness to know where your enemies are coming from. (E.G 1 CT left, you solo planted the bomb at B site Dust 2, and you are watching window after smoking off the doors at the entrance of Tunnel, you hear footsteps from your right side, he is definitely at upper tunnel. He won't be dumb enough to charge through smoke)

4) They are leather pads = Don't breathe well, but I never sweat my ears though.

5) You will love these! I'm not sure about the sound of Turtle Beach, from what I know is that people who first started with garbage will comment on how lacking the bass are on the higher grade headphones. The fact is due to the bass muffling overall sound thus created a long term effect. I think Custom One Pro is the best starter headphone for anyone new, it is pretty all rounded and a fun headphone to use. Alternative would be AKG K551

2) The adjustable bass ports turns the headphone into semi-open by revealing some air holes. I have never experience the sound stage of an open headphone due to my background and the shop I shop at is not conducive to test out open headphones due to the crowd. I doubt you can increase the sound stage as there are only about 6 air holes (3 on each side), but the bass increase is significant for anyone to pick up.

The port serves only to boost bass, not increase soundstage. The 770 also has a bass port, it just isn't adjustable.

-snip-

Cool, thanks! :)

The port serves only to boost bass, not increase soundstage. The 770 also has a bass port, it just isn't adjustable.

You'd really think Amazon would take the open, semi open, or closed thing off of the features list. Kind of misleading, especially when Beyerdynamic's website doesn't even have that on there as far as I'm seeing.

Привет товарищ ))))

@h264 had a pair and is in the audiophile club.

Does that mean the COPs get the seal of audiophile approval? :lol:

Also, I don't know if you'd be the right person to ask, but is it a good idea to look on Ebay for used headphones? I can get a used pair of COPS for like $80-$100 less than what they're going for on Amazon, and that money I saved could go to replacing the faux leather ear pads with some velour ones.

Привет товарищ ))))

Hey everyone.

1. Yes. They completely surround mine, but no idea how big your dumbo flaps are. They do touch my ears, but it's not uncomfortable.

2. Yes, it affects the bass response a hell of a lot.  If you like a "natural" bass sound with a lot of "bloom" (that's very low frequency response), you'll like this headphone.  It's a normal Beyer V shaped sound signature.  Lots of highs, lots of lows, less mids.

3.  It's one of the better "soundstaged" headphones I know which is why I recommend it so much for people who want dual game/music headphones.  Everything sounds very well placed as the drivers are well angled.  If soundstage is really the most important thing to you, the AKG K7 is a better option.

4. They ARE plethor pads, but they have a breathable mesh lining on the bottom which makes them very comfortable over even long periods of time, but I still get sweaty in the summer.

5. thatsnazzyiphoneguy is convinced it sounds terrible.  I'm convinced it sounds like a Beyerdynamic headphone, only more advanced and with 21st century drivers.  Trust me or him, I don't care.

Between these and the Sennheiser HD558s for what you want?  If gaming is more important than audio, the Sennheisers.  They have better pads for longer sessions.  If audio, then the Beyers.  Up to you, they're both good headphones.  I'd just look for a replacement cable for the HD558s because the one it comes with is incredibly unruly.

is it a good idea to look on Ebay for used headphones?

I got my COPs on Ebay.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."