Can't Get PS3 controller working

Hieb

I did a fresh installation of Windows this morning and now I can't get my PS3 controller to work with my PC. Prior to reinstallation (I moved to a new hard drive because I had file corruption that couldn't be repaired before) I was playing without issues using MotionInJoy, and now I can't get it working by any method.

I don't think Windows is installing the drivers as when I plug in the PS3 controller via USB, it doesn't install anything.

Anyways, when I try to load the driver in MotionInJoy, I get an error message:

INFO:InstallDriver start...

SUCCESS:Set Selected Device.

SUCCESS:Get Device Install Params.

SUCCESS:Set Device Install Params.

SUCCESS:Building Driver Info List.

SUCCESS:Call Class Installer.

SUCCESS:Get MotioninJoy Driver.

SUCCESS:Install MotioninJoy Driver start......

ERROR:Install MotioninJoy Driver fail.. Error code:0X-1ffffdb9

So I tried another method that doesn't involve MotionInJoy, the one found at this video: youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8

The DX installer failed with the error message "Internal System Error" but then everything else went smoothly... but it doesn't detect my PS3 controller which is plugged in even after following all the steps aside from the bluetooth steps since I'm using it wired.

Really at a loss here...

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I did a fresh installation of Windows this morning and now I can't get my PS3 controller to work with my PC. Prior to reinstallation (I moved to a new hard drive because I had file corruption that couldn't be repaired before) I was playing without issues using MotionInJoy, and now I can't get it working by any method.

I don't think Windows is installing the drivers as when I plug in the PS3 controller via USB, it doesn't install anything.

Anyways, when I try to load the driver in MotionInJoy, I get an error message:

So I tried another method that doesn't involve MotionInJoy, the one found at this video: youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8

The DX installer failed with the error message "Internal System Error" but then everything else went smoothly... but it doesn't detect my PS3 controller which is plugged in even after following all the steps aside from the bluetooth steps since I'm using it wired.

Really at a loss here...

I have the perfect solution for you. Spend half a day struggling with shitty MIJ before I found this. Basically it permanently fools windows into thinking you have an XBOX360 controller plugged in. 

Benefit: most games work flawlessly with XBOX360 controllers, so they'll work flawlessly with your PS3 controller. Downside: you'll have to know/learn the XBOX360 buttons as games refer to them also. Although this isn't really a downside, just google a XBOX360 controller button map.

Download latest version, connect your PS3 controller, follow the instructions on the forum under 'new install' to open the right .exe file and run it.

PS3 controller must be connected to PC and default drivers (those windows downloads through windows update) must be installed before you run the .exe or else it won't work.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=186161#pid186161

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I don't think Windows has installed any drivers. It never brought up the little download/installation things when I plugged in the PS3 controller and it seems MIJ is failing because it can't locate any driver for it :S

Actually it looks like that's the method I linked in the video, which isn't working for me.

It didn't properly install.

When I did that, under --Install Summary-- there was no SCP DS3 service listed.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I don't think Windows has installed any drivers. It never brought up the little download/installation things when I plugged in the PS3 controller and it seems MIJ is failing because it can't locate any driver for it :S

Actually it looks like that's the method I linked in the video, which isn't working for me.

It didn't properly install.

When I did that, under --Install Summary-- there was no SCP DS3 service listed.

Did you try the Force Install option? Sometimes it can get it to work.

To get it to work for me after getting that error, I uninstalled MotionInJoy, uninstalled my PS3 drivers (you should see the controller regardless of it being picked up in your device manager), restart and then redo the process in the video. First installing default drivers for the controller (I use a wire in a 2.0 USB port). I also made sure to make the folder in the Program Files and place the files into the folder, making sure that when right clicking it doesn't say "Blocked". Ran it as admin, installed and it came up.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yeah use SCP. MIJ is crap. Make sure at least one controller is physically plugged into the computer (lights flashing on gamepad) and force install (even on 8, won't hurt it anyway).

Make sure you have a bluetooth for wireless use. It will "eat" the bluetooth driver (basically take over the whole bluetooth device not allowing anything else to use it).

Once it's running, all ps3 controllers to be bound by bluetooth just need to be usb connected then turned on by pressing the PS button.

Completely emulates xinput, and gamepad mapping should be seamless with it.

Also, windows 7 make sure you download the xbox 360 gamepad drivers. Win8 already has them but win7 doesnt.

- Alston

SCP Monitor is what I use and it is soooo much better than MIJ. No ads, no crap GUI, just plug in and play.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

SCP Monitor is what I use and it is soooo much better than MIJ. No ads, no crap GUI, just plug in and play.

I use it too .... as easy as pie

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Now if someone would code some software that would behave like ps3 ' s ps button menú (quit, controller, etc, maybe add some options), then design a bluetooth receiver that works specifically for ds3/4 controllers, with a passthru cable for atx or power on pins... I could get a full console pc goin... :)

- Alston

Did you try the Force Install option? Sometimes it can get it to work.

To get it to work for me after getting that error, I uninstalled MotionInJoy, uninstalled my PS3 drivers (you should see the controller regardless of it being picked up in your device manager), restart and then redo the process in the video. First installing default drivers for the controller (I use a wire in a 2.0 USB port). I also made sure to make the folder in the Program Files and place the files into the folder, making sure that when right clicking it doesn't say "Blocked". Ran it as admin, installed and it came up.

It doesn't show up in device manager.

No drivers installed, doesn't show up anywhere

Could you take a snapshot of the devices and printers (not device manager)? Sometimes it won't be called "PLAYSTATION®3 Controller".

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Could you take a snapshot of the devices and printers (not device manager)? Sometimes it won't be called "PLAYSTATION®3 Controller".

oh, its there. just didnt show up in device manager.

oh, its there. just didnt show up in device manager.

Okay. Try uninstalling it and then do a search to make sure it and MotionInJoy does not still exist on the computer. Reboot. Try installation again of the SCP DS3. But first make sure the exes, especially SCPDriver.exe, is not blocked by right clicking them and going to properties (you can try the archive trick if you want). Also make sure to run as Admin and Windows 7 compatibility.

Also, just to be sure, try placing the SCP files in program files or, if that's where you have them already, try the desktop (where I have it right now).

should show up as an Xbox controller

- Alston

should show up as an Xbox controller

No, there should be a PS3 and a Xbox controller in the devices and printers—should he have installed the Xbox drivers correctly.

Now I'm having a dif issue.

Using the method in this video, at the 3 min mark they go to properties > hardware > and under device functions is "MotioninJoy Virtual Xinput device for Windows"

I don't have this option though. Under properties > hardware there are two device functions, neither of which match this.

"HID-compliant game controller"

"USB input device"

I did a fresh install of Windows since making this thread, motioninjoy hasn't been installed.

No, there should be a PS3 and a Xbox controller in the devices and printers—should he have installed the Xbox drivers correctly.

really? Doesn't do that for me.

- Alston

Now I'm having a dif issue.

Using the method in

, at the 3 min mark they go to properties > hardware > and under device functions is "MotioninJoy Virtual Xinput device for Windows"

I don't have this option though. Under properties > hardware there are two device functions, neither of which match this.

"HID-compliant game controller"

"USB input device"

junk motioninjoy. Use SCP as mentioned above.

- Alston

Hmmm, I noticed in devices and printers there's a trouble shoot icon /!\ on the icon for my computer.

When I select it, at the bottom it says:

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology | Status: Needs troubleshooting

Model: Z97X-SLI | Status: Driver is unavailable

Category: Desktop PC

When I right click and choose troubleshoot, it says "There is a problem with the driver for Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." o__0 why is this happening after a fresh reinstall, and what would this affect? I'm not using integrated graphics

junk motioninjoy. Use SCP as mentioned above.

motioninjoy isn't installed, and the method in the video I linked doesn't use motioninjoy and uses SCP

motioninjoy isn't installed, and the method in the video I linked doesn't use motioninjoy and uses SCP

just reread. I'm getting confused. Late night for me. I'll let you guys handle it.

- Alston

just reread. I'm getting confused. Late night for me. I'll let you guys handle it.

no worries i edited that post after you quoted it, sorry ^^

oh f me, apparently I just use the USB input device option. alright continuing with rest of the steps

*sigh*

When using the dxsetup included with the SCP package:

pwk9F00.jpg

no worries i edited that post after you quoted it, sorry ^^

by the way, just to make sure, you got the ps3 controller plugged in while running the scp install right? Did it show as successful?

- Alston

by the way, just to make sure, you got the ps3 controller plugged in while running the scp install right? Did it show as successful?

It's been plugged in the whole time, not up to the SCP install yet, trying to install the other junk

It's been plugged in the whole time, not up to the SCP install yet, trying to install the other junk

"other junk?"

- Alston