Can't Get PS3 controller working

Hieb

"other junk?"

The driver included to apply to the PS3 controller (Windows said I was already at the latest driver).

The dotNetFx40_Full_setup (already included in Windows 8.1)

The dxwebsetup (unsuccessful, as shown in pic above)

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Hmmm, I noticed in devices and printers there's a trouble shoot icon /!\ on the icon for my computer.

When I select it, at the bottom it says:

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology | Status: Needs troubleshooting

Model: Z97X-SLI | Status: Driver is unavailable

Category: Desktop PC

When I right click and choose troubleshoot, it says "There is a problem with the driver for Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." o__0 why is this happening after a fresh reinstall, and what would this affect? I'm not using integrated graphics

Well according to Windows I went through their steps and chose to reinstall the drivers, and it still says that the issue is not fixed and it's still missing drivers for this. Dont think this is related to the PS3 issues... Windows says the drivers are display related (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and Simple PCI-e Controller).

god i hate this operating system

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

What does the log say? Seems like this is the issue you are having with the controller.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

the dxerror log doesn't exist.

the directx log looks normal (i can only assume). lots of "installing" "installed" "target file", source file, stuff about being installed already. maybe it's already installed and windows just can't pick an error message that properly describes what happened, lol.

This might seem daft, but are the USB drivers installed properly for your motherboard from Gigabyte?

I've installed everything from http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4957#dl applicable to Windows 8.1 aside from the non-essential stuff like Intel rapid storage etc.

I installed the realtek audio drivers, intel INF, and intel LAN driver from that page.

Can you post a picture of your device manager up? If there is anything with a warning symbol in there, make sure it is fully visible in the pic.

http://i.imgur.com/rv9BS6X.png?1

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and PCI Simple Communications Controller

looks like i should've installed Intel Management Engine Interface, google suggests it's related to the PCI Simple Communications Controller issue. I wish it was more clearly labelled which stuff is the necessary stuff and which is the stuff that just uses resources or isn't useful :f although it's under chipset so I suppose I just derped

ok thanks lalyrn, turns out that missing driver solved the issue. Dx setup went as intended :)

wow i'm a dunce, lol.

installed everything, gonna test it out in a game.

Which driver was it, the USB? or the Intel Management engine in your other post?

hmm seems installation of the SCP tool didn't work as intended. It didn't install the "SCP DS3 Service", only "Bus Driver" and "DS3 USB Driver"

Which driver was it, the USB? or the Intel Management engine in your other post?

Intel Management engine

There is no USB driver

Righto, just wanted a clear answer in case anyone else has this issue. It will help them out if they suffer the exact same problem on an Intel based motherboard.

Alright found the problem. Windows was blocking it since it came from a different computer.

Cheers everyone who chimed in here, and for lalyrn thanks for getting me to check board drivers ^_^