Website for church

Maximation

So a local church asked me to make them a new website. I gladly accepted to make them a website, but I have no idea how much I should charge for it. The site will be about the size of a site for a small/medium bussiness. I will use wordpress for this, as they want to be able to add posts and edit different notices on the site when they should be available, should I even use Wordpress for this, or is it overkill? If you have some more general tips & tricks, I would like to hear them.

They also need a new hosting service. Should I go with shared hosting or set up a VPS for them from a reliable hosting company? (which ones do you recommend?)

Thank you in advance!

Learning

-snip-

SquareSpace might be something to look into.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Use Linus' code and get a deal on squarespace.  Very reliable - I've sent many clients their way and I've never been burned.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

how much to charge the church for your service or how much to pay for the website?

How much to charge for his service.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

I don't go to the church, a friend of mine does however and he suggested his church to let me make the website.

Learning

And yes, I am questioning how much to charge the church in question for my services.

And I would like the development to be somewhat of a challenge, I am proficient enough to create these kinds of websites, in other words, I am not really into squarespace.

Learning

I don't go to the church, a friend of mine does however and he suggested his church to let me make the website.

I'm not really religious, hell, i identify as an Atheist  (my friends think this it's paradoxal since i was born on Christmas....) :) Well, let's see, i don't know how much it usually is, but i'd charge nothing less than 50 euros! :D

I'm not really religious, hell, i identify as an Atheist (my friend this it's paradoxal since i was born on Christmas....) :) Well, let's see, i don't know how much it usually is, but i'd charge nothing less than 50 euros! :D

I am also not religious, I'm too rational for that stuff.

A time ago I read somewhere that the average costs of having a small/medium business website made for you are about 600$, that seems a little bit expensive to me, but I'm thinking one fourth of it would be acceptable?

Learning

I am also not religious, I'm too rational for that stuff.

A time ago I read somewhere that the average costs of having a small/medium business website made for you are about 600$, that seems a little bit expensive to me, but I'm thinking one fourth of it would be acceptable?

Yup, i always say, if you believe in gods, believe in all of them! I like science :)

Hmmm, it is a church, so i'd lower it a little bit, so you wouldn't become infamous as someone that ripped of THE church... Rumours are a bitch...

Just a quick question? Are you living in a really religious environment, or they don't care O.o

Yup, i always say, if you believe in gods, believe in all of them! I like science :)

Hmmm, it is a church, so i'd lower it a little bit, so you wouldn't become infamous as someone that ripped of THE church... Rumours are a bitch...

Just a quick question? Are you living in a really religious environment, or they don't care O.o

But maybe that is a rumour that I want to be spread... :P

The village where the church is located is pretty religious, according to my friend. I live in a big city next to it though. So the local folks will probably not know me. And I don't think the church would just publish their expenses on a website in a local newspaper.

Learning

But maybe that is a rumour that I want to be spread... :P

The village where the church is located is pretty religious, according to my friend. I live in a big city next to it though. So the local folks will probably not know me. And I don't think the church would just publish their expenses on a website in a local newspaper.

Hmm, if that's so, then somewhere around 150-200 euros should be enough, but make them a good, responsive one :D If you do make a good one, churches are pretty influential, so you might earn a lot more :)

Hmm, if that's so, then somewhere around 150-200 euros should be enough, but make them a good, responsive one :D If you do make a good one, churches are pretty influential, so you might earn a lot more :)

I'll make a very good, responsive site for them. I hope they will pay well :)

Learning

Posted ImageI'll remember it when making them an offer, haha.

Learning

I'll remember it when making them an offer, haha.

just don't be greedy

edit: having a job these days is a luxury

</badjokes>

Remember to hide some easter eggs around the website.

But as for charging the church. It is only fair that you get paid for your work, even if it is easy mode with modern stuff like bootstrap etc. You could probably even host it for free with github pages. Just remember, your brain is your money machine, it is not free to maintain it.

Just treat them like any other costumer, maybe contact them to discuss what they're looking for and what their budget is? Then adjust your service accordingly.

should I even use Wordpress for this, or is it overkill? If you have some more general tips & tricks, I would like to hear them.

I think it would be more simple for them just to have a simple page with a WYSIWYG editor, and just store the content as html in the database.

you could use: TinyMCE, Redactor or something like that as your editor.

VPS for them from a reliable hosting company? (which ones do you recommend?)

digitalocean.com - is awesome for VPS :)

just don't be greedy

edit: having a job these days is a luxury

Haha oh my thought was to not be so greedy as the church was during that time, that's what I mean to remember.

Learning

Remember to hide some easter eggs around the website.

But as for charging the church. It is only fair that you get paid for your work, even if it is easy mode with modern stuff like bootstrap etc. You could probably even host it for free with github pages. Just remember, your brain is your money machine, it is not free to maintain it.

But should I charge less when I go the easy route? Also, is it worth it to just host it on Github pages?

Learning

Just treat them like any other costumer, maybe contact them to discuss what they're looking for and what their budget is? Then adjust your service accordingly.

The problem is, they are my first customer, so I have no idea how to treat them, at least not from past experiences. I have read a lot about it though.

I'm now waiting for them to discuss this with each other, they'll be doing that soon, there they will set a budget.

Learning

I think it would be more simple for them just to have a simple page with a WYSIWYG editor, and just store the content as html in the database.

you could use: TinyMCE, Redactor or something like that as your editor.

digitalocean.com - is awesome for VPS :)

Mh those WYSIWYG editors look really interesting. I will have a closer look at them.

Ah yes, digital ocean, I know they are great. I'll definitely consider them.

Learning