Can GPU sag damage the PCI slot?

TrickyWitcher

I have a Maximus VII Hero, so I really don't want to damage it at all. I currently have an XFX R9 280 3GB. It sags a little, but not that much as to damage the PCI slot, IMO. If you line up your view with the PCI Slot, you can see the card fills in the whole left of the slot, but a little of inside slot is visible to the right of it. Like maybe 2-3MM. I'm going to replace it in two months, would I be fine until then? I'll try and get pictures.

Also, would the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 be a good choice? For it's backplate, to help with the sag? I also have a H440.

I'm also interested, I have some sag on my 970. @SillyNewb says that all graphics cards do tho'

Not unless it is really sagging. There really shouldnt be any issue because the screws on the backplate should keep it from a damaging angle.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

No, unless you transport it and shake it during the transport, normally no.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Eventualy it could cause issues but that is like in 6-7 years it would cause damage to the card.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Not unless it is really sagging. There really shouldnt be any issue because the screws on the backplate should keep it from a damaging angle.

Is there anyway to just prop it up?

You could use the 6/8 pin power cables to help support it.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Fishing line. Or tie up your cables to pull up a little.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes It can damage the port if you pull it out while sagged. You can pull of the plastic connector and leave just the prongs like this? Easily can be avoided by not being an idiot and removing it when it's aligned with the slot.

sany0001hx.jpg

Yes It can damage the port if you pull it out while sagged. You can pull of the plastic connector and leave just the prongs like this? Easily can be avoided by not being an idiot and removing it when it's aligned with the slot.

sany0001hx.jpg

When I remove it, I align it properly, and then pull it out.

I've broken a PCI-E slot just by picking up my PC and moving it a couple of feet. I wasn't rough or anything.

What motherboard did you have? I'd assume the Maximus VII Hero has a better build quality.

I had a piece of wood supporting my card in my old system #GhettoLife

I had a piece of wood supporting my card in my old system #GhettoLife

You know how the Gigabyte 970 is abnormally large? It 's long enough that I have to remove a drive cage, but if it were to sag, can I not put the drive cage back for it to lean on?

You know how the Gigabyte 970 is abnormally large? It 's long enough that I have to remove a drive cage, but if it were to sag, can I not put the drive cage back for it to lean on?

Anything that supports the weight of the graphics card would work, just make sure it's not conductive.

If the drive cage is metal then no, unless you cover the surface of contact with the card with something like electric tape.

Anything that supports the weight of the graphics card would work, just make sure it's not conductive.

If the drive cage is metal then no, unless you cover the surface of contact with the card with something like electric tape.

Well shit, it is metal. Can he just wrap the part the he drive cage that it'll lean on with the electrical tape?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

You can get acrylic braces for graphics cards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can get acrylic braces for graphics cards.

Can I put a statue under the card? I have a sweet monogatari one I wouldn't mind in my PC.