Good or Bad Idea for College?

JakeMnz

I fully intend on bringing my PC to college, there's no way I'm selling it. The only issue is that it's a little big.. With that being said, I'd like to keep the ATX mobo I have and not have to switch to mATX (I know there really aren't any disadvantages, I just like my setup). I was looking around for a while and found the Cooler Master HAF XB EVO. It's a small cube-like ATX case that makes up for a lack of vertical space with horizontal space. It's a little more dorm friendly and won't cost me too much (just under $100). Well what I want to know is: Would it be bad for me to get this as my case for the next several years?

Because I know it will help you help me, these are the things that take up the most space in my case:

ASUS r9 290

ASUS M5A97 R.20

Cooler Master 212 Evo

Corsair CX600M

So that's it, be as thorough in your response as you want. Just say yes, just say no, type me an essay, I don't mind. If you have any other suggestions, I'll give them a good look. Thanks!

What you need is a cramped atx case like NZXT Source 210. That cube is bigger than any atx case.

This is the smallest ATX case. But 290 would die inside of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119262

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I liked the idea of a cube case, I know it's not as small as a mATX, but it's definitely easier to store than a full sized ATX case. Putting my case down sideways would work vertically, but would be hard to find a good spot for. I'd switch to mATX but my biggest issue is airflow. I have an FX-8350 and an r9 290, those get pretty hot and mATX cases aren't exactly known for great cooling. If the majority (which usually knows more than me) thinks it's a bad idea though, then I'll gladly explore different options.

The HAF actually looks pretty decent, however if you did end up going with matx, the best idea would be to grab an AIO cooler for the CPU to reduce the CPU's heat output, but that would end up with you having to spend even more money... So the HAF is probably the best solution as of now

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Well do you know which university you are going to? Do you know how big the dorm is actually going to be?

If your current case fits under the table you might put it on some kind of creeper dolly and move it under the desk if you do not use it. So you might have no clearance issues when it is not turned on.

As a former dorm-dweller (not technically but kinda similar) I do not think that the missing 2 or 4 inches are that big of a deal. You'll find space somewhere.

The HAF actually looks pretty decent, however if you did end up going with matx, the best idea would be to grab an AIO cooler for the CPU to reduce the CPU's heat output, but that would end up with you having to spend even more money... So the HAF is probably the best solution as of now

Cpu cooler won't reduce heat output

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That HAF, or the Air 540 I think would be good if you wanted to change to something smaller but still with lots of room inside.

That's the one I want, however the price is a bit too much for my budget.

I've seen my dorm room and although it's a pretty nice size, I'd still rather have my area as clutter free as possible. Along with the more manageable size, it's also much easier to transport and move around. It has 2 handles and is the perfect shape to fit under the smallest of desks. I think it's smarter anyways for me to get this case seeing as how the one I have now doesn't support 240mm rads (despite it being a decent sized mid tower..), which will make the upgrade to liquid cooling not really worth it since the 212 evo is just about as good as most 120mm rads. I think I'll go with my gut on this one and get the HAF and hope for the best. Thanks for the help guys.

It would reduce heat released into the case by moving it directly outside the case, if that's what he means?

It would reduce heat released into the case by moving it directly outside the case, if that's what he means?

Yeah.

I don't like when people think bigger heatsinks or watercooling makes room cooler.

Or when people don't understand air flow, and #of fans doesn't equal amount of cooling. Some fans can have an adverse effect on cooling, such as the front most top fan slot. Never use that, unless water cooling

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah.

I don't like when people think bigger heatsinks or watercooling makes room cooler.

Or when people don't understand air flow, and #of fans doesn't equal amount of cooling. Some fans can have an adverse effect on cooling, such as the front most top fan slot. Never use that, unless water cooling

People going on about how their NH-D15 makes their CPU 5 degrees cooler than their room omg! I spin my fans at 30% because of the DEW POINT! And other words that people with only a rudimentary capacity of googling have picked up xD

No I mean, a radiator can move that heat output out of the case and away from the gpu

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You could  have told us that you had already made up your mind ;)

Well I'm in the market for a new case so that I can eventually upgrade to a 240mm rad because my current case doesn't support it. I was looking for opinions and suggestions. No one really had anything bad to say about the idea, just that they thought it wouldn't be any better for space. With that being the case, this seems like the best option considering I don't want to downsize to mATX.