Galaxy Note needs JTAG repair!

vt3c

Hey guys, I've got a galaxy note SGH-i717. It's bricked. Flashed a bad ROM. I was running Liquidsmooth Jellybean RC7, but had a bug with the camera. It wouldn't record video, and when it did, it came out as a static-y and fart sounding mess. I heard the bug was fixed in RC8, but I couldn't find a working ZIP download on the XDA Developer forum. So I used one from AndroidJinn which was claimed to be for the US AT&T model. I was a noob to rooting, and I bought the phone rooted/jailbroken. I learned the hard way that if the Zip ends in D2ATT rather than QuincyATT, it will permabrick your phone. 

Anyone here willing to do a JTAG repair on it, and install an OS on it? Stock JB OS uses 500MB RAM at idle doing nothing. LiquidSmooth RC7 ran like a master on it but unfortunately the camera bug got to me. It could have just been the Gapps, but I dunno. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Hey guys, I've got a galaxy note SGH-i717. It's bricked. Flashed a bad ROM. I was running Liquidsmooth Jellybean RC7, but had a bug with the camera. It wouldn't record video, and when it did, it came out as a static-y and fart sounding mess. I heard the bug was fixed in RC8, but I couldn't find a working ZIP download on the XDA Developer forum. So I used one from AndroidJinn which was claimed to be for the US AT&T model. I was a noob to rooting, and I bought the phone rooted/jailbroken. I learned the hard way that if the Zip ends in D2ATT rather than QuincyATT, it will permabrick your phone. 

Anyone here willing to do a JTAG repair on it, and install an OS on it? Stock JB OS uses 500MB RAM at idle doing nothing. LiquidSmooth RC7 ran like a master on it but unfortunately the camera bug got to me. It could have just been the Gapps, but I dunno. 

Can you still get in download mode? You can try to make a USB jig yourself and try that.

Step 1. Put your Galaxy Note SGH-i717 into download mode by holding down Volume Down button and Power button.  When your screen goes off, keep holding down Volume Down button but let go of Power button.

att-galaxynote-unroot-sgh-i717-2-690x420

Step 2. When you see the warning sign, hit Volume Up button to enter download mode.

att-galaxynote-unroot-sgh-i717-3-690x463

if you can get to download mode, then you can recover your phone using ODIN. I stole those instructions from here. they should have what else you need there:

http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-i717/how-to-unrootunbrick-att-galaxy-note-sgh-i717-android-2-3-6/

Step 1. Put your Galaxy Note SGH-i717 into download mode by holding down Volume Down button and Power button.  When your screen goes off, keep holding down Volume Down button but let go of Power button.

Step 2. When you see the warning sign, hit Volume Up button to enter download mode.

if you can get to download mode, then you can recover your phone using ODIN. I stole those instructions from here. they should have what else you need there:

http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-i717/how-to-unrootunbrick-att-galaxy-note-sgh-i717-android-2-3-6/

Recovery doesn't work. Even with a Jig. That's where a JTAG repair is necessary. It forces it into recovery and wipes the corrupted BIOS placed into it by a bad flash. 

:( It's annoying.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

have you tried ODIN?

Yes. I have. It doesn't even recognize it. Appears in my device manager as a Qualcomm USB Device.

Can you still get in download mode? You can try to make a USB jig yourself and try that.

Can't get into download mode, unfortunately. USB Jig wields no response.

You are basically f*cked to say, there aren't many places that do jtag these days and on an older phone like this it isn't even worth it try go get one from like ebay with a cracked screen or something like that.