Router bottleneck?

TheCake

I am fortunate enough to have a 100 Mb Up and Down speed in my area, but i recently got a new Belkin AC900 DB router. I am connected to it via ethernet cable, but when i run a speed test i only get about 70 down and 60 up. I'm pretty sure this is a router issue as i used to have a linksys e3200 that would give me 95 down and 90 up on a speedtest, but unfortunately it had stopped working. So is there anyway to speed this up? or did i just pick a bad router?

Try DD-WRT on it, might work.

But if your really want up your performance, get an old PC and install pf-sense on it.

I am fortunate enough to have a 100 Mb Up and Down speed in my area' date=' but i recently got a new Belkin AC900 DB router. I am connected to it via ethernet cable, but when i run a speed test i only get about 70 down and 60 up. I'm pretty sure this is a router issue as i used to have a linksys e3200 that would give me 95 down and 90 up on a speedtest, but unfortunately it had stopped working. So is there anyway to speed this up? or did i just pick a bad router?[/quote']

It would seem that your router is your bottleneck. If you are trying to get the most out of your bandwidth I would go with Ssoele's suggestion and run an old PC with pfSense on it as your router. This would be substantially better than any consumer router on the market, and plus there is a ton of customization options.

Ya, a 100 up/down is a lot more then most home connections and most consumer units won't be able to handle it well. Another option I will throw out there is Untangle - same thing, uses a PC to act as a firewall...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The best advice I can think to add other than rolling your own like Whaler_99 mentioned (I rolled a Smoothwall for a while ran in a virtual machine on my server, but that is another tale for another time)...is to make sure whatever you replace your router with has Gigabit ports on both the LAN ports AND on the WAN(Internet) port. This is a good way to ensure that it has enough power to push that data around. After that you could begin knitpicking actual processing power & features of models that at least meet that requirement.

The AC900 does have Gigabit LAN, but I could not find anything saying whether or not the WAN port was Giga or Fast. It is usually called out pretty loudly when a I don't think it will be THAT soon.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D