Performance gain from higher res display?

I`ve been having issues with my setup, specifically with my graphics cards.

My R9 290 Crossfire setup hasn`t been performing as well as it should, I have been getting low fps in games that my setup should run smoothly.

Currently both my Graphics cards are running on a 1920x1080 display, and I was wondering if this is holding them back.

Sooo in short, would I see an increase in fps from changing my display from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440?

+ a more detailed version is in my profile

No

Bigger resolution -> more pixels -> harder to work with all of them

@BoogieBeats no? That's not how this works..

First of all follow your topics, to be notified of replies..

What is your setup? Your CPU might bottleneck it? Maybe..

EDIT: I saw your CPU is the "i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz".

I don't know much about bottlenecking, so maybe someone else can help out with that.

What games are you playing?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The higher the resolution the harder it is to run at not the other way around. And the reason you setup isn't performing well is because your cpu is bottlenecking.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

I know i won`t see a fps gain, but I was thinking that my graphics cards weren`t properly being taken advantage of because of the low resolution.

I have an i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

that's not bottlenecking

I know i won`t see a fps gain, but I was thinking that my graphics cards weren`t properly being taken advantage of because of the low resolution.

I have an i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

If you are getting low fps in 1080p there is no way you are getting higher fps in 1440p that it. Also if you know there won't be a fps gain then why you ask " would I see an increase in fps from changing my display from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440?" ?

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

W h a t   g a m e s ?

Are your GPUs overclocked?  Try defaulting, or even lowering them to reference clock/mem speeds.

Wow, nice build by the way. :)

If you are getting low fps in 1080p there is no way you are getting higher fps in 1440p that it. Also if you know there won't be a fps gain then why you ask " would I see an increase in fps from changing my display from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440?" ?

I should have written that in a different way. sorry for the confusion. thanks for all the answers. :D

What FPS you are getting?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

W h a t   g a m e s ?

Are your GPUs overclocked?  Try defaulting, or even lowering them to reference clock/mem speeds.

Almost every game i play seem to have I seem to have a issue with fps. ( bf3-4, Skyrim, Saints row 4)

But benchmarking programs like Valley seem to give me accurate fps and scores, which is why im so confused.

Try using AMD VSR (downscaling) and see if it helps. no need  to buy a new display just to test that.

Also make sure to manually add a games exe file in CCC, and select the appropriate CrossfireX profile for that game.

*edit* for the record, I play on 1080p display, downscaled from 1440p on most games that have crossfire profiles, definitely smoother imo, due to less work for the cpu.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Try using AMD VSR (downscaling) and see if it helps. no need  to buy a new display just to test that.

Also make sure to manually add a games exe file in CCC, and select the appropriate CrossfireX profile for that game.

How do you enable AMD VSR? 

MMO's tend to be quite demanding on CPU's in certain situations.  It can't be avoided no matter how high your clock is, or what CPU you have.  Better CPUs do better of course.  The R9 290's won't play a role in MMO FPS dips.

Even a heavily modded Skyrim should run great on your system.  So, yeah... something is going on if you are not ripping through Skyrim at way over 60 average fps.

How do you enable AMD VSR? 

in Catalyst control center, select "My digital flatpanels" tab and click "enable virtual super resolution" checkbox in the properties sub-tab.

once loaded into a game, you can select higher resolutions than your monitor supports. can even disable AA in games because VSR works better.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

in Catalyst control center, select "My digital flatpanels" tab and click "enable virtual super resolution" checkbox in the properties sub-tab.

once loaded into a game, you can select higher resolutions than your monitor supports. can even disable AA in games because VSR works better.

Do you mean GPU upscaling?

Do you mean GPU upscaling?

Nah, thats technology that the new Gaming consoles use, to take a lower resolution and upscale it to your display. I use that as well, works great for old youtube videos, but not all AMD GPU's will have a VSR checkbox.

AMD-Catalyst-Omega-Driver-14.50_AMD-4K-V

In Saints Row 4 i get the same fps in 1920x1080 as in 2560x1440, but framerate from Valley`s 1st scene changed from 110fps to 80fps.

Nah, thats technology that the new Gaming consoles use, to take a lower resolution and upscale it to your display. I use that as well, works great for old youtube videos, but not all AMD GPU's will have a VSR checkbox.

Ah, so Hawaii, or Tonga.