Looking for a new mouse

Virgule

Hi,

My Genius mouse is slowly dying ; I need to find another mouse. I have this mouse (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826179097) which at first I found was a bit big. I got used to it and loved it for the full 2 years I played with it. Now, the right click has lost its response and requires a lot of force to press. I need your suggestions for a new one.

Gaming habits : I play LoL, SC2 and some FPS

Stance : I am right handed.

Looks : I don't care much about the looks although discrete customisable color zones are nice. I don't like over-the-top-trying-too-hard-to-be-gaming-peripherals mouse (ex. : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826618022CVF&cm_re=gaming_mouse-_-26-618-022CVF-_-Product). I want something with simple looks.

Size : I have somewhat big hands (7 1/2'' from top of middle finger to bottom of palm). I think in retrospective my Genius mouse was a bit too big, but I got used to it and a small mouse would be a more shocking contrast now that I've made the adjustment, especially when using other buttons on it.

Functionality : I would like something with side buttons since these were probably the only ones I would use with the Genius mouse. I think I feel like the more there are, the more it's confusing to use in-game. You program a button or two for keyboard shortcuts and if you have a 4X4 grid of buttons to choose from, you get lost in the action and miss-click. I would like something that can be fully customisable with macros and keyboard shortcuts. I don't have to have a DPI switch, although if I have, an even number of DPI settings is always better since I would use it to switch between 2 modes if I ever do use it.

Sensor : I had a 5700 dpi laser sensor that was set at around 2500 dpi with mouse speed settings (3) at about 6/10. I don't need 8200 but I would like something along those lines (5700) and I prefer a sensor that is more sensitive than what I need than not enough. I would prefer a laser sensor. I despise mice that have a bit of back-movement when you hover it over a surface.

Weight : I am using 2 of the 6 4.5g weights in my mouse and would like something that is adjustable or weights around what I'm using. A mouse too light might be difficult adjusting to.

Budget : No particular budget. I think a mice that is 100$ + is a bit suspicious since there are a lot of very praised ones at around 70$.

That's about it. I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks

Spoiler

Laser sensors are inferior to optical btw.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Is that right ?

Spoiler

Well, I just recently got a Logitech G600 MMO and I love it. It's not too flashy, has fairly customisable backlighting, and has enough buttons to allow you to play games suitably with just the mouse itself (though I don't recommend it).

Logitech G600 MMO

a1FrAAE.jpg

The mouse I use is the Shogun Bros Ballista MK1 (it is quite light which could be a problem) I really like the button positioning as well as the the independently configurable X and Y axis 

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

Well, I just recently got a Logitech G600 MMO and I love it. It's not too flashy, has fairly customisable backlighting, and has enough buttons to allow you to play games suitably with just the mouse itself (though I don't recommend it).

Logitech G600 MMO

Yeah, I think that's a bit too much side buttons for me. Don't you feel weird hold it on the button grid and don't you accidentally press some at times ?

Spoiler

The mouse I use is the Shogun Bros Ballista MK1 (it is quite light which could be a problem) I really like the button positioning as well as the the independently configurable X and Y axis 

Pretty nice ! Is there possibility of adding weight ?

Spoiler

Pretty nice ! Is there possibility of adding weight ?

Nope afraid not also forgot to mention the sensor is directly under the left mouse button, I don't even notice the difference, just letting you know

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

Nope afraid not also forgot to mention the sensor is directly under the left mouse button, I don't even notice the difference, just letting you know

Will look into it and read reviews. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep 'em coming.

Spoiler

23567890-

Yeah, I think that's a bit too much side buttons for me. Don't you feel weird hold it on the button grid and don't you accidentally press some at times ?

Usually for my purposes like selecting hotbar spaces it's not too much of an issue. I have smal fingers though.

Usually for my purposes like selecting hotbar spaces it's not too much of an issue. I have smal fingers though.

Thanks for the suggestion

Spoiler

I would take a look at Zowie mice (AM, FK or EC lines). Logitech G502 (or G402) are always "safe options". If you want to stick with the bigger mice then I would recommend Mionix Naos 7000 or SteelSeries Rival.

I would take a look at Zowie mice (AM, FK or EC lines). Logitech G502 (or G402) are always "safe options". If you want to stick with the bigger mice then I would recommend Mionix Naos 7000 or SteelSeries Rival.

Thanks. I will check them out.

Spoiler

That is totally false. Laser mice have high DPI - which is a must in gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298711-28-laser-mouse-optical-good-gaming

Before you say something like that, check for bullshit.

OP- I like to go to Best Buy/Future Shop and try the mice out - see how they feel in my hand (lol). I can definitely recommend SteelSeries or Logitech

OP- I like to go to Best Buy/Future Shop and try the mice out - see how they feel in my hand (lol). I can definitely recommend SteelSeries or Logitech

A high DPI in gaming would just make your mouse cursor fly all over the screen which isn't a good thing. Most professional gamers of CS:GO or some fashion of FPS games play on the lowest DPI possible. Huge adjust-ability is always a plus though.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just FYI, and for everyone to write it down:

A3050: low Variance, jitter above 1000cpi

A3060: low Variance, Angle Snapping, high LOD depending on implementation

A3080: low Variance, Angle Snapping, high LOD depending on implementation

A3090/S3888/S3095: low Variance, generally rather high LOD, exceptions depending on implementation

A3090/S3095 "6x"(4000cpi) SROM: low Variance, Smoothing, generally rather high LOD

AM010: low Variance, very low amount of smoothing

AM010 4000cpi: low Variance, adaptive Smoothing(only above 2080cpi)

PMW3310: low Variance, early SROM´s had a rather noticeable amount of smoothing

PMW3320: nothing released with it yet

S3988: low Variance, early SROM´s had a rather noticeable amount of smoothing

A6010/S6008/S6018: low Variance, low Malfunction Speed

A6090: low Variance, moderate Malfunction Speed

A9500/S9500: high Variance, sometimes bugged LOD depending on implementation

A9800/S9808/S9818/S9819: high Variance, early SROM´s had a rather noticeable amount of smoothing

high dpi is the worst thing for gaming because small adjustments are incredibly inaccurate with high dpi, the cursor shakes like crazy.

fXEbw4L.png

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No, its not its completely right, laser sensors often suffer from build in acceleration issues

and you will find most pro gamers/ youtube gamers use 400-800 DPI 

Dont forget, your mouse can only move 1 pixel at a time on your monitor, so having 1000000 DPI, is pointless since it will just move extremely fast,  and it will skip over half the information

Optical sensors generally have less issues such as acceleration and angle snapping et

Think of it this way, you have a monitor that is 1920x1200 and you have a DPI of 600, that means it takes 2" to move from the bottom to the top, and about 3 inches to move from left to right, If you had the DPI set at 1200, it would only take 1" and 1.5" , which is really hard to do

Most people set a low DPI and change the speed of the curser using the in game settings, so the mouse is consistently accurate 

Obviously in game FOV, and plenty of other factors come into play, but that is the basics 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

DPI has nothing to do with accuracy. That is a common misconception. Currently, the best sensors are optical. There are bad optical sensors, too, of course.

I recommend you read the Mouse Guide 2.0 and educate yourself on how sensors work and what makes a good sensor good (hint: its not the DPI number like the marketing people would have you believe).

I have had a MadCatz RAT 7 for about 2 years now. Despite impressions you may have of the brand, this mouse is built very solid!
DPI adjustments are in intervals of 25.

You can adjust the shape of the mouse.

You can adjust dpi independent of profiles.

GL!

I just bought a G602, I have not opened it yet.  I went from a wired (optical Microsoft Sidewinder), to wireless (laser MS Sidewinder X8), to my current wired (laser CM Storm Inferno) which I love...but I feel two years is the ave lifespan of my mice.  Found the G602 for $50 and figured let me pick it up.  The CM Storm has 8 programmable buttons (not including the DPI +/-), I got used to having things on my mouse.  The two extra buttons on the superior face (button, main left click, middle mouse, main right click, button) are the best placed two extra buttons ever...for me at least.

Ok so... WOW... I just returned to the thread and it's been highjacked and let me tell you right away I'm not going to pay any ransom.

UPDATE : I now bought, received and tested a Steelseries Rival. Overall, I like the mouse a lot but there is one problem I didn't think of at first : I use the claw grip.

steelseries-rival-3.jpg

This mouse is very confortable but it's a little too long. The width is perfect for my hand but in order to reach the front side button, my thumb has to advance in a way I now see my whole hand needs to be in a palm grip for this mouse to make sense. Also, since it's so long, it bumbs into my palm quickly when bringing the cursor downwards. I want to love this mouse since it's so confortable, the switches are really neat and the software is really well designed. However, I think I'll have to at least try something else. I think I'd have that same problem with the Mionix Naos 7000. The Zowie mouse has caught my eye. I'll still give it a few weeks to get used to it and report back.

Spoiler

what a good mmo mouse I have the naga 2014 and is jumps all over the place I like the buttons on the side a lot so I don't have to use my key board. im not sure what the best ones are so if some one could help me out that would be great