Razer Hate?

Papa P

I sometimes don't get why everyone thinks of Razer as the absolute piece of shit and that they don't make a good product at all. I recently got my first Razer product, which was the Chroma Blackwidow. This keyboard feels like it's built well, the matte finish on this keyboard looks extremely nice, and the lights are nice and vibrant.The software is easy to use, and with the new Chroma Configurator that came out today, I can even customize it more now. As much as it is plastic and not aluminum that everyone seems to make a big deal over, it's still a great keyboard. Yeah, sure, it uses "Chinese cheap shit switches", but nobody ever wants to try new things and give stuff a chance. Kailh has been making mechanical switches for quite some time, I would just give them a chance as they just recently started manufacturing switches of that design. 

The thing about Razer is, is that they are capable of making a great product and do make a great product. It is just that they have poor quality control, so usually it is a hit or miss. I don't hate Razer at all, I just think that they need to take customer feedback and start to improve in order to start rebuilding their reputation. Nevertheless, Razer is a great company that makes better products than other companies that I have bought things from - it's just that a lot of their products are prone to failure due to quality control. I am 100% sure they are capable of making a great product though, and I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind all the "Razer hate" and "Apple hate."

I don't think you should be comparing Razer to Apple. People complain that Razer has terrible build quality, and look at the iPhone. It has the aluminum that everyone is hyped for, yet they still hate it. Honestly, if Razer made their products aluminum, made them with Cherry MX switches, and added media keys, than a lot less people would be hating on their keyboards. It's all about aluminum finishes, and apparently plastic is inferior. 

I have many peripherals from different brands.

Keyboards: Ducky, CM Storm, Cherry, SteelSeries

Mice: Logitech, Razer, SteelSeries, CM Storm

Mouse pad: Razer, SteelSeries, CM Storm

With Razer the only things I would ever consider from them are some mice and mouse pads. I'd never get their keyboards as I know there are different brands out there that offer way better quality for the price. I only like some of their mice, and surprisingly they're from the "entry-level" tier of their products....

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

I had a rosewill keyboard for a while.  Best membrane keyboard for sub $20. Now it's just G710+ with steelseries diablo III mouse and siberia V2.

I own a Razer Blade 14", it's probably my favourite piece of electronics in the house. Their mousemats are the only ones I use these days too. My Hammerhead Pro's are great for their price and have stood up well to almost constant daily usage over the past year. The Razer CEO interacts with the community on a personal basis via Insider and Facebook, which is a nice touch.

However, I wouldn't buy Razer for my mouse (logitech), nor keyboard (either logitech or Corsair). My next headphone purchase will be HyperX also. 

Razer's laptops, software, earphones, and other independent physical hardware all seem be to great (Forge TV is an excellent push by Razer). But they do seem to lack these days in terms of M/KB quality (which is unfortunately their primary area).

I honestly don't get all of the hate, they're not apple (they don't treat their consumers like idiots), and most of their products are actually quite good.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

IMO its because razer is like the Apple of Gaming Peripherals, like apple they advertise the heck out of their products so people who are not familiar with gaming stuff will see razers products because it is marketed well and razer offers their peripherals in a wide list of countries, build quality is a bit of a hit or miss for me, yes most of their products use cheap feeling plastic yet some offer good build quality like the kraken forged

thats just me...

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Mother Board: ASUS P8B75-M LE GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Thermaltake LT-500NL2NL 500W

PERIPHERALS: Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Headphones: Superlux HD 668B

First problem with razer is very few of their mice have a respectable optical sensor and the ones that do have my least favorite optical sensor.

2nd problem is they do treat their customers like idiots, they took the deathadder, which is their enthusiast mouse, interpolated it to 10,000 dpi and is like, hey look,more accurate sensor.

3rd problem very questionable build quality and quality control.

4th is poor customer support

5th problem is they obviously market a lot. They rely less on word of mouth that their products are good. Marketing costs a lot of money, so to be profitable which all companies need to be, you almost always get significantly less for your money because you're paying for that marketing. Not to mention all the stupid shit that marketing adds to the mouse, the 10k dpi, the chroma bullshit. Finally marketing means the quality of the final product is less important because you're primarily relying on marketing to sell the product, not word of mouth. That is why if you have a choice between some brand that spends very little on marketing but has a good reputation in enthusiast communities, you're almost always going to get a better product then buying some product heavily hyped by the company that made it. $300 Hifiman headphones are way better then $300 Beats headphones because most of Beats' money goes into marketing, not into their products.

Razers Products are more for gimmicky looks rather than durability and function. 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

I got a Razer Kraken Pro as a birthday gift last year, and I haven't had any bad experiences with it breaking or not working. From what I gather, Razer has issues with the quality of their products and many people have had issues with them breaking quickly. One of my friends had his Kraken Pro break and had to send Razer a photo of the cut cable so they would send him a new headset. That's the closest I've personally come to a negative experience. I'm not planning on buying more Razer products based on what I've learned.

Using a Naga 2014 right handed and like it alot. Going to keep it for as long as i can. 

Also using a Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with actual Cherry switches. I'm skeptical about the Razer switches. 

Also if you look after your stuff it lasts for a long time.

Anything that isn't from Corsair, Fractal or Noctua isn't good enough for you guys. The circle jerk is rather aggressive. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I buy products from companies that aren't only dedicated to creating "gaming gear", or I at least try. Logitech, Filco, two companies that don't just, or don't at all make gaming gear and they are far superior for the money. 

The issue I have with Razer isn't that their products are terrible, because they aren't that bad, it's the price they are marketed at, usually because they are a "gaming" keyboard, mouse, for example. The most recent iteration of their Blackwidow should not be priced at what it is priced at. Kaihl switches, compared to Cherry are so much cheaper to manufacture and from what I have used of them, there are noticeable differences between each keyboard using them. And what does Razer do? Charge exactly the same as they did before when their Blackwidow used Cherry MX switch. A switch that judging by the Cherry tour that Linus did, goes through vigorous QC, over and over, just to make sure that the switch is not only functioning, but are as identical as possible. I can, like with many other Chinese products, guarantee that Kaihl don't do such a thing.

As with this "designed by Razer" guff. Throwing a logo of your company onto someone else's product doesn't mean it's designed by yourself. Get over yourself, Razer.  

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I am a minority when it comes to Razer products.  Here are the products I've owned from them:

Razer Deathadder 3.5:  Had it for 3+ years with no issues before retiring it.

Razer Abyssus:  Used for 1 year at work before giving it to a coworker.

Razer Deathadder 2013:  Used for over a year with no issues, just hated the green color LED.  Still use for my laptop.

Razer Blackwidow:  Owned for over 2 years and still use it.  Might upgrade it to a k70 though.

Razer Atrox:  Owned since it was released and love it.  Use it for USF4 on PC.

Razer Deathadder Chroma:  No difference over the 2013 model except better lighting.  Works great.

Razer Orbweaver:  Bought just to try one and hated it.  Works great, but uncomfortable to me for gaming.  Collecting dust in closet.

Haven't had a single device fail on me yet and hope I don't.

Razer = overpriced brand recognition. Their name is half the price of the product they sell.

Why?

Because there's plenty of people out there that go "Oooh, Razer made it!" And ignore all logic, blindly buying their products.

And don't hate. If Linus sold tech branded with his name, you'd probably buy it blindly too!

Bet he could sell reference GTX 980s for 1,000 a pop with his custom color scheme, his signature and by adding "Linus Edition" to the name. :P

Not all branded products are bad, but they are overpriced simply because loyal fans will eat the name brand up. Just like 5 - year-olds and corn flakes.

- Alston

I am a Razer fan boy. I'm just gonna get that out there. I haven't tried any other companies.I haven't been a PC gamer that long. Take my opinions with a grain of salt. But I have two razer products, the naga epic chroma and the orbweaver. I have had them since Christmas. They perform beautifully. The synapse interface is easy. They were overpriced, but razer can do that because they have a level of devotion to gamers that others don't have, and they have some pretty unique innovations, economic and otherwise. I had lots of razer haters who haven't tried razer. But, as said above, I haven't tried anything but razer. Think of this what you want.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Well, @waggythegeek I can assure you that there are other brands that are even more devoted to "gamers" than Razer.

I mean, there's a difference in having the same product every year, slapping a new name on it (DA 2013 -> DA 2014 ...) and then ask the same price or even more if almost nothing has changed about it.

I've had a razer headset (carcharias first edition) and it lasted me for just over 2 years, then a cable fault and yeah... no warranty anymore so that was gone.

Then I've also had a razer imperator quite a long time ago because I thought it looked quite cool etc... started having double click malfunction after 5 or 6 months.

I don't know why but when it comes to mice I've always chosen for Logitech and tbh, they're quite a lot better than Razer when it comes to quality control and build quality itself. All I can advise is, don't be a fanboy, don't buy entire sets of peripherals from just one company but look what a company excels in.

Logitech for example is great with mice, but (imo) their headsets suck, break easy and the sound is ok-ish. Get sennheiser instead or Audiotechnica and if you really want a headset get Qpad, those guys make top-notch quality stuff (even their mice and keyboards are good) Keyboards is also something else, you've got Filco, Ducky, Daskeyboard, ... all great quality keyboard manufacturers that are quite a lot better than razer, logitech or any "gaming" brand tbh.

And yeah, I'm repeating myself here buy Razer's customer support kinda sucks imo. I've read a lot of stories that people bought their deathadder, blackwidow, headset, ..... from Razer, had to RMA it because it broke within the first 6 months of usage and not only once but multiple times. Every single time they had to RMA it and pay the shipping costs as well. I mean, look at Logitech. They don't even care about a repair service, they just go like "ok, your product is broken, you're still within warranty so please choose a product from our store which you'd like to replace your broken one with (within the price range of course!) and we'll send it to you." The only thing they have you do is cut the end of the USB cable or the whole cable including the Serialnumber and give that with the courier when he delivers the new product (for free).

Razer should simply quit hyping that much and call itself "innovative", "best in the world" and stuff like that and start focus more on the quality and pricing (lower!) of their products. Then they can gain the respect of most people back but until then... 

Brand X has a far superior build quality compared to Razer and imo the customer support(s) of other companies are better as well.

True as that is, ask anyone who's had to deal with Asus customer experience and they'll tell you how bad it is. And what is one of the first brands for the forum to recommend.... Asus....

It's a bandwagon, nothing more

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

for my kb I went all out and got myself a cm and my mouse is a cheap no-brander but its been one of those devices where it works well enough for me not to be concerned with changing it.

I have to go with Razer because they are the only company(that im awear of) that sells left handed MMO mouses, they are mega usefull for games like WoW :P

• 11 months later...

if razer made a mamba TE with the deathadder sensor and improved the quality to the level of their prime they could corner the market on gaming mice that look good and perform great. but they wont do that they'll just keep making mice knowing that people will believe their marketing and keep buying them.

wan

if razer made a mamba TE with the deathadder sensor and improved the quality to the level of their prime they could corner the market on gaming mice that look good and perform great. but they wont do that they'll just keep making mice knowing that people will believe their marketing and keep buying them.

BUT MUH 16K DPI.

Why they are using the flawed Phillips Twin Eye sensor instead of a good optical one is beyond me. I also love how they name a product as Tournament Edition and don't add onboard memory to save the settings, so you must install Synapse and log in on every PC you plug the mouse in.

If they make a cheaper Deathadder without the gimmicky lights, tighten their QC and add on board memory, a lot more enthusiasts will consider buying them. They had almost achieved that with the Deathadder Black

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

BUT MUH 16K DPI.

Why they are using the flawed Phillips Twin Eye sensor instead of a good optical one is beyond me. I also love how they name a product as Tournament Edition and don't add onboard memory to save the settings, so you must install Synapse and log in on every PC you plug the mouse in.

If they make a cheaper Deathadder without the gimmicky lights, tighten their QC and add on board memory, a lot more enthusiasts will consider buying them. They had almost achieved that with the Deathadder Black

the onboard memory isnt going to happen as long as synapse is required to change settings

wan

the onboard memory isnt going to happen as long as synapse is required to change settings

True, but on board memory is mandatory to make a product truly tournament grade. The fact that Synapse has to be running all the time to keep the settings you've selected makes their drivers a joke.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

True, but on board memory is mandatory to make a product truly tournament grade. The fact that Synapse has to be running all the time to keep the settings you've selected makes their drivers a joke.

Actually one Product saves the settings, why the others dont is a mytery considering that the possibility is there by default,

I find the build quality of Razer products to be lacking. Had problems with 2 separate DeathAdder 2013s. I'm sticking to Corsair and Logitech from now on.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE