Cablemod Individually Sleeved Cable Set

VSG

Cablemod came out hard and strong mid Dec last year with a relatively large line up of aftermarket individually sleeved cables for 3 PSU brands and 10 PSU lines (Corsair AXi/HXi/RM, EVGA G2/P2/T2 and Seasonic XP2/XP3/KM3/FL2). By now you may even have seen videos from OC3D and HardwareCanucks about them. Thanks to the Cablemod community manager and Performance PCs, I got a chance to take a look at one of their kits. I chose the E2 set in red to compare with the EVGA kit I checked out last year: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179218-evga-g2p2t2-individually-sleeved-cable-kit/

jzxFT9ql.jpg

MMx9G0jl.jpg

The outer cover is pretty clean and gives you the brand name as well as the series name and color type, along with the UPC/EAN codes. I must note here that this is a sample set and not a retail kit. Retail versions will have the box sealed in plastic and each cable will also be sealed in a plastic pouch instead of being tied in place using cable ties. A retail set will be coming to my hands at a later point and I will be sure to point out any difference(s) I spot then.

9UaJpO1l.jpg

xRwGjlxl.jpg

Sliding out the cover reveals the box that contains everything.

oLougDAl.jpg

0ukAFv6l.jpg

UilRKYTl.jpg

1ITlqiol.jpg

Opening it up, you are greeted by a drawstring pouch bag and a certificate of assurance below it. While I have yet to hear any reports of aftermarket cables from a half decent brand going bad, it is always good to see this- especially after seeing first hand the level of involvement that the Cablemod team does in various online communities and across social media platforms. Some would say this is something to be expected from a start-up brand and I would agree, so here's to hoping the same level of commitment stays with time and success.

1MqMQIpl.jpg

Opening up the pouch, we see a heap of cables and...

eYlyWipl.jpg

This thing. I understand that Cablemod was referencing the stock cables provided with the PSU(s) when making their own cables but this just seems so out of place here. Anyone with an EVGA G2/P2/T2 PSU will have one of these anyway so I am a bit indifferent to the inclusion of this as-is. Either sleeve it, or omit it fully. But then again, it is a small molex-floppy drive adapter that one can just put back in the pouch with any unused cables so I will stop making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

0Y5597tl.jpg

Now we come to why I felt that adapter was so out of place. I wish I could actually show properly how the sleeving felt because these cables are proper paracord and feel great compared to any of the nylon/microcord cables I have handled before. This 20+4 pin cable comes in at 60 cm long- same as the stock EVGA ATX cable as well as their own individually sleeved ATX cable. In fact, this is the same story for all common cables used and thus helps remove any suprises of cables being too short/long.

VeVedlYl.jpg

Now for the EPS cables. There are 2 4+4 CPU power cables which are both 70 cm long. Notice there isn't any indicator to distinguish these from the PCI-E cables. This is something I would like to see implemented in the next revision just to cater to everyone. In the meantime, to distinguish these from the PCI-E cables, just remember that the latter come in 6+2 type (or just 6 pin):

l3L6yyyl.jpg

Going back to the EPS cables, I noticed they implemented an interlocking connector for the 4+4 pins:

6jFjcTDl.jpg

R8bTNMJl.jpg

bPRtn1Il.jpg

This is not a unique connector to them but again another example of a small thing that can help out end users and one that isn't commonly used.

Now on to the PCI-E cables:

aWh4l7jl.jpg

There are 4 6+2 pin cables that are 60 cm long and 2 daisychained dual 6+2 pin cables that extend to 75 cm long for the additional connector. As usual- these are ok if sticking close to the theoretical PCI-E power limits (150w for 8 pin, 75w for 6 pin) but I recommend using discrete cables if overvolting/overclocking past these power delivery limits.

3ekRWaxl.jpg

The 2 pin part just clips on and does not interlock, and is also separated right at the PSU side itself just as with the EVGA individually sleeved kit. This way you can hide it completely if not needed.

sIaFWBvl.jpg

There are 2 4x SATA cables (one 85 cm long and the other 70 cm long) and 2 2x SATA cables (50 cm long). I liked this a lot since this caters to people with large and small cases and also helps power storage drives as well as other accessories that use SATA for power without feeling like you are running out of options.

aaOKJYnl.jpg

On the full size Molex end, you are more limited. What's included is a 3 Molex cable (75 cm long) and a 2 Molex cable (50 cm long). To be frank, I would like to see everyone migrate from Molex to SATA anyway so I am all for it personally. But I can see how people with pumps/fan controllers/LEDs might want to get more- not in terms of the number of connectors but more so in terms of cables themselves to route to different places. I can't fault them for this much though since the EVGA kit itself has the same configuration.

Now speaking of the EVGA cables,

xXO1FqKl.jpg

kzAS0b7l.jpg

These paracord sleeved cables are softer and bend to a tigher radius (top) compared to the EVGA cables (bottom).

YwXCTxsl.jpg

ROp4k1Pl.jpg

Both are heatshrink-less and the wires are crimped into the connector rather than being flame sealed. I didn't find any loose wires after a tug of each cable but time will tell how well they last.

xdHHweal.jpg

wlynXlHl.jpg

Excuse the order being swapped around in these two pictures, but you can see the Cablemod cables have a lighter shade of red compared to the EVGA ones. This is completely a personal thing and both go great with the Asus ROG red in the two Asus boards I have here.

One specific thing about these cables for the EVGA PSUs- the stock cables have capacitors on some of them to help lower the ripples further. But neither these nor the EVGA individually sleeved kit has them. EVGA said it matters very little and I have not found any differences when hooking these up to my EVGA PSUs to power a hungry rig, so I can definitely recommend these without issues. 

Would I buy these? Currently, they are going for $89.95 over at Performance PCs in the USA. The EVGA kit is also the same price. Customer support from both companies is excellent as well. So it comes down to the actual cables themselves and I truly feel these cables are on a higher quality tier. So yes, I would buy these if I was looking for aftermarket cables.

[Addendum] I will have a professional sleever take a look at one of these cables and also de-pin them for pictures of the actual sleeving/crimping quality. I will also see how these work out in a large case as well as a small case. These pictures and thoughts will be added in soon.

nice review

Excellent review. I have to wonder how these cables hold up over time with many insertions and removals tugging on the sleeving.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if this kit is cheaper than doing it yourself?

Excellent review. I have to wonder how these cables hold up over time with many insertions and removals tugging on the sleeving.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if this kit is cheaper than doing it yourself?

Doing it yourself it will cost you about 15/20$ and a lot of time and effort. You just need some paracord. 

Doing it yourself it will cost you about 15/20$ and a lot of time and effort. You just need some paracord.

For the wires, tools, and sleeving? Really? :o

No, it will cost you a lot more than $15/20 if doing it the first time round- tools, extra sleeving and especially time and labor. If you have been sleeving for a while and have the tools already then it makes sense to go ahead and do it yourself.

For the wires, tools, and sleeving? Really? :o

Oh no... Just he sleeving & one tool. I am guessing that most of us already have the cables, so...

Oh no... Just he sleeving & one tool. I am guessing that most of us already have the cables, so...

I'd rather create cables that resleeve my power supply because it isn't modular, which can be done but.. effort.

I'd rather create cables that resleeve my power supply because it isn't modular, which can be done but.. effort.

If you are comfortable opening your PSU (you will probably void your warranty) then the difficulty of sleeving is about the same. It can be done even if you don't want to open you PSU, but i will be a lot harder to make it perfect.

Sleeving the cables it's not difficult at all. However it takes a lot of time and patience, which is the hardest part of sleeving :P

If you are comfortable opening your PSU (you will probably void your warranty) then the difficulty of sleeving is about the same. It can be done even if you don't want to open you PSU, but i will be a lot harder to make it perfect.

Sleeving the cables it's not difficult at all. However it takes a lot of time and patience, which is the hardest part of sleeving :P

Yeah I don't feel like cracking it open.. xD I'd rather just make some short extensions and not have the system down for too long while making them. I have the time and patience at least, just need to know how to do it.

Yeah I don't feel like cracking it open.. xD I'd rather just make some short extensions and not have the system down for too long while making them. I have the time and patience at least, just need to know how to do it.

There are many videos on youtube with tutorials (Linus's too). In my opinion a child could sleeve some cables, so it's not something difficult. If Linus can do it, then you can do it :P 

Unfortunatelly the pin extractor tools are very expensive for some stupid reason, but the paracord or some other sleeving is pretty cheap. Still i don't believe that it will cost you more than 30$ 

There are many videos on youtube with tutorials (Linus's too). In my opinion a child could sleeve some cables, so it's not something difficult. If Linus can do it, then you can do it :P 

Unfortunatelly the pin extractor tools are very expensive for some stupid reason, but the paracord or some other sleeving is pretty cheap. Still i don't believe that it will cost you more than 30$ 

I am telling you right away it costs much more than $30 to sleeve cables first time round, I did quantify it

There are many

s on youtube with tutorials (Linus's too). In my opinion a child could sleeve some cables, so it's not something difficult. If Linus can do it, then you can do it :P 

I think the hardest part for me would be not putting the cables in the wrong pin slots.

I am telling you right away it costs much more than $30 to sleeve cables first time round, I did quantify it

About how much? I can look at sites all day for prices but I'd rather get an answer from someone that's done it.

I think the hardest part for me would be not putting the cables in the wrong pin slots.

About how much? I can look at sites all day for prices but I'd rather get an answer from someone that's done it.

You can sleeve the cables one by one so you don't have to worry about that. 

You can buy some cheap paracord from e-bay (about 150ft+/45m) for about 5 euros. It's not going to be the same quality as the USA paracord, but who cares? :P 

The tools you are going to need to remove the pins will cost you about 10/15 euros and you are pretty much done. You can buy some heat shrinks for about ~4/5 euros. ( i do recommend to get some heatshrinks... Actually, since you have a non-modular PSU i believe it's a must)

I haven't sleeved my PSU yet because i don't need to (i keep my case closed) but i have some experience sleeving some other cables. Sleeving it's not expensive. 

You can sleeve the cables one by one so you don't have to worry about that. 

You can buy some cheap paracord from e-bay (about 150ft+/45m) for about 5 euros. It's not going to be the same quality as the USA paracord, but who cares? :P 

The tools you are going to need to remove the pins will cost you about 10/15 euros and you are pretty much done. You can buy some heat shrinks for about ~4/5 euros. ( i do recommend to get some heatshrinks... Actually, since you have a non-modular PSU i believe it's a must)

I haven't sleeved my PSU yet because i don't need to (i keep my case closed) but i have some experience sleeving some other cables. Sleeving it's not expensive.

Eh, not triple digits, not expensive.

You also need crimping tools, connectors, Molex male and female pins, wire strippers, heatshrink/flame sealants and so forth. If you are re-using the stock cables then the connectors can be recycled but a good crimper is itself a good $40-50 depending on make and model.

I was thinking of picking up the black orange full cable kit. 

For a G2. nice to see that someone does a full set and not just extensions for it. :)

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Hi does anyone know if I should get these or the corsair own for a AX PSU?

I wish these were available for bequiet PSU's 

i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | ASUS ROG Formula VII | Kingston HyperX 8gb | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 |Bequiet 600 Powerzone

AX? Then you only have the Corsair cables there. The Cablemod set is for AXi and the other Flextronics PSUs.

Oh well crap guess I'm getting Corsair then :P

I was thinking of picking up the black orange full cable kit. 

For a G2. nice to see that someone does a full set and not just extensions for it. :)

thanks for the support - send us a picture once you complete your build with our cables so we can feature it on our FB then.

Hi does anyone know if I should get these or the corsair own for a AX PSU?

our C-Series is compatible with the AX860 & AX760 - all cables but the 24PIN will work. We are producing right now AX 24PIN cables and they will be ready by January 20th. Email us at community@cablemod.com so we can get a AX 24PIN to you and you can use our C-Series Set with your AX860 or AX760.

I wish these were available for bequiet PSU's 

We will be launching be quiet! sets by middle of February - the first be quiet! set we will be launching will be for the Straight Power 10 Series. For which be quiet! PSU would you like to see sets?