Video Request: "CPU Lapping Guide"

So in Australia, we are approaching the worst of our summer.

I've looked into CPU lapping so I can maintain my overclock, but can not find any good tutorials or resources.

LMG have the resources and knowledge to cover an idea like this, with a much higher quality of video and information.

So just an idea for a new video.

So in Australia, we are approaching the worst of our summer.

I've looked into CPU lapping so I can maintain my overclock, but can not find any good tutorials or resources.

LMG have the resources and knowledge to cover an idea like this, with a much higher quality of video and information.

So just an idea for a new video.

Haven't heard of that? Can you elaborate on that, please?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

You use sandpaper to make the CPU surface as smooth and even as possible, back in the old days it could drop your temps by "up to" 10c.

intel_lapping_5.jpg

Polishing the surface of a CPU and heatsink so there is the maximum possible contact between both surfaces using a very small ammount of thermal paste. Voids the warranty of the CPU and heatsink, but there is little risk other than that.

I would recommend lowering your overclock.. Even delidding your CPU sounds better than lapping (sanding your CPU so it's more flat.., minimal temp reduction @ other LTT members).

You use sandpaper to make the CPU surface as smooth and even as possible, back in the old days it could drop your temps by "up to" 10c.

intel_lapping_5.jpg

Polishing the surface of a CPU and heatsink so there is the maximum possible contact between both surfaces using a very small ammount of thermal paste. Voids the warranty of the CPU and heatsink, but there is little risk other than that.

Thank you! Much appreciated! *Borat "High five!"* :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would recommend lowering your overclock.. Even delidding your CPU sounds better than lapping (sanding your CPU so it's more flat.., minimal temp reduction @ other LTT members).

I don't need to delid my CPU because it's bonded with a liquid solder, and lapping is actually far safer than delidding

It's simthing I've considered in the past but not done myself.

I have seen several you tube videos showing the process though, maybe start there?

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

I have seen several you tube videos showing the process though, maybe start there?

Defiantly, I've been researching for a while, it's a big commitment.

Want to do it right, so as much info as possible I reckon

I've personally done this in the past and will say for me it wasn't worth the trouble. If you want to give it a go just find a very flat surface such as a piece of glass or a stone counter top and start sanding in even strokes. For example do 10 back and fourth motions then turn it 90 degrees and do it again. Do all of this while keeping even pressure on the IHS to avoid sanding one side more than the other.

Start with low grit, something like 400 should do, then work your way up and stop at maybe 1000 grit. Any higher than that doesn't really have any benefits unless you're going for the shiny look.

You can check your progress by putting something like a metal ruler or a razor blade on the IHS and shining a flashlight behind it, any light shining through will be where it's not totally flat yet. Once it's completely flat very little to no light should be visible between the blade and the IHS. 

With all that said I would just drop the overclock a bit until the worst of summer is over. It's much much easier to do that lol.

I know that kustom pc here in the uk do a lapping kit with all several grades of sandpaper / wet & dry paper & a piece of glass so you can see your results easily.

Personally I think it's very expensive for wat it is but you can use it also as a guide on the bits your need.

My Sysyems idles at between 20/22 & 27 degrees dependant on room temp & fan speeds, so it's not something Im looking at right now (also reluctant to screw with a new (ish) 5820k as there almost full warranty left. I went with 2 420mm rads to control temps & run at low fan rpm instead.

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

Defiantly, I've been researching for a while, it's a big commitment.

Want to do it right, so as much info as possible I reckon

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000003.pl?page=search&PR=-1&TB=A&SS=Lapping&ACTION=Go%21

Workstation:

I don't need to delid my CPU because it's bonded with a liquid solder, and lapping is actually far safer than delidding

I dunno, I'd be scared to accidentally bend a pin because you handle it more vs holding it in a vice but meh I haven't done either.. Good luck.

I dunno, I'd be scared to accidentally bend a pin because you handle it more vs holding it in a vice but meh I haven't done either.. Good luck.

Admittedly it would be easier with Intel than amd

Workstation:

I don't have any experience doing this to a CPU, but in the world of motorcycle racing mechanics use a flat pane of glass and sand paper o flatten motorcycle heads. To do this with a cpu you could use a piece of glass and very fine sand paper (2000 grit) and wet it to make it take even less off. It would be a really cool project but wet sanding is also very dirty. You will probably have to lap the heat sink as well for optimum contact.

EDIT: Stupid me I looked at that kustom PC link to late 

Of course I made the mistake of going with an AMD 8-core :P

But I have seen little socket covers that go over the pins, for doing things like this.

Of course I made the mistake of going with an AMD 8-core :P

But I have seen little socket covers that go over the pins, for doing things like this.

I've read a couple posts where people took a kitchen sponge, wetted it down with isopropyl, then stabbed the CPU into it. You shouldn't be applying a lot (nearly any) pressure while sanding so there's not much worry of bending pins unless you're doing something wrong.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |