Torn between ATH-M50x and ATH-AD700X

jlr0042

So I have been rocking a pair of Astro A40 2013 Edition Headsets, and I am ready to plung into the world of real headphones. After doing a bit of Google-ing, I am torn between the ATH-M50x and ATH-AD700x headphones. When I game, I like to be fully immeresed in the atmoshpere of a game. I also occasionaly play competitive FPS games. In addition, I sometimes just like to listen to music, preferring a little bit of a heavy bass. It is to my understanding that the M50x will provide the perfect solution to my music and immersion needs, but falls laughably short in the competitive FPS scene. It seems that the AD700x is very good at pinpointing noises due to the bigger sound stage provided by the open back design, however it fals short on its bass and clarity at all frequencies. So I am open to any and all suggestions to help me find a good ~$150 headphone that satisfies my needs. Thanks for the help.

DT770 has a good soundstage for a closed headphone, DT990 is still marginally better if you can deal with open headphones.

Prices being what they are you might need to look for Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 990 used.

If you dont have big head, AKG K612pro used could be a good option, but then you'll have to spend ~ $100 for amp

I personally don't like the comfort of the AD series. Maybe it's just my head size/shape but they really dig into the joint where my jaw meets (insert bone here). I also have very large ears which causes the upper fourth (give or take) to be folded downward. I will agree that they sound great after the break in period.