How many cores of CPU do you really need?

AMD: AMD simply come with "6", "8" cores, or so they say, 8 amd cores are basically 6-6.5 cores, no offence of chourse

INTEL: Quads are fine for intel but if you wanna go the safe way which just cost more for no benifiet to gaming, only rendering and photoshop, go with a six core.

AMD and Intel have slight diff core architecture, nothing mager... spend more on a good gpu and okay cpu, 3570k/8350 will go on for 4-5 years easy like the phenom 965 BE did, but as hardware

gets better, Games are getting Even Better including their demands, well some game engines do...

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

I was gonna go with 3570k but considering modern and new games may demand more than 4 cores, i am having doubts going with intel. 

Just remember that the intel cores should be better than what will be in the nextgen consoles, so 4 i5 cores should be about equal to the 8 of the next consoles. Thats like how the i5 and 8350 perfore similar. So going with the 3570k will be fine.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Hyper-threading improves performance in some games. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/7

How do you figure?  There were no other Ivy Bridge CPUs in the review to compare with the 3770K.  You can compare it to the 2500K but there's a ~10% IPC improvement from that to Ivy and that is pretty much what we see in those benchmarks.  Between the 2500K and 2600K there was -3.5 to 5fps gain.  That's margin of error.  Hyperthreading can improve performance a little bit, you'll see this between Pentiums and i3's (dual-core vs dual-core HTT) but like I said hyperthreading isn't a useful technology just by virtue of the way games stress CPU resources.  It's not one of those "new" features that we are waiting to be properly utilized.

Some people say 2 is enough but i don't think so. The os needs to run so the more cores you have the better plus the game can leverage more power.

Some people say 2 is enough but i don't think so. The os needs to run so the more cores you have the better plus the game can leverage more power.

Agreed, I'd say two is not enough anymore, although it's still alright.  Quad-core is ideal, 6-core can benefit in a few games and is looking good moving forward.

Agreed, I'd say two is not enough anymore, although it's still alright.  Quad-core is ideal, 6-core can benefit in a few games and is looking good moving forward.

Personally 6 cores can't help much in games only a select  few care about more cores but a quad core is most ideal now.

At the moment all that is needed is 4 cores for games......yes the new consoles have 8 cores, but they are weak as shit......a half decent quad core will run rings around them in performance wise, in the future (2 years or so) we will need more cores for games granted, but you know what, by that time, they will be out and you will be able to buy one :)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----