Can Using 3 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks work?

HI, One of my RAM sticks in my G-Skill Ares 8GB kit was bad. I was wondering if I buy another 8GB kit if I could use the one I still have and have a total of 12GB of DDR3 in my Rig. MY specs are on my profile if you need them, thank you so much.

rma the stick? ram has long warranty, but ye you can use 3 sticks.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You can use 3 sticks but I'd also RMA the broken one.

"Was bad" as in, it arrived damaged?  RMA it if that's the case, but if that was just a mistake in your sentence, then yes that will work with three RAM modules.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

how does one go about RMA'ing it?

This here looks like the right page:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

"Was bad" as in, it arrived damaged?  RMA it if that's the case, but if that was just a mistake in your sentence, then yes that will work with three RAM modules.

it either gave out after a month or did not show defects until a month after. MY PC would lock up endlessly. 

it either gave out after a month or did not show defects until a month after. MY PC would lock up endlessly. 

Ah okay I see.  And have you tested to make sure it's not the DIMM slot on your motherboard?

Ah okay I see.  And have you tested to make sure it's not the DIMM slot on your motherboard?

Well, I used one stick in the slot, it locked up, then I put the other stick in the same slot and so far it has not locked up.

Well, I used one stick in the slot, it locked up, then I put the other stick in the same slot and so far it has not locked up.

Yeah that's probably the module then.  It's unlikely to make a difference, but try putting both modules in the other two slots you haven't tried yet.  If that doesn't do anything, RMA it.

Yeah that's probably the module then.  It's unlikely to make a difference, but try putting both modules in the other two slots you haven't tried yet.  If that doesn't do anything, RMA it.

they were in the other two slots first then someone told me that they needed to be in the sots closest to the cpu so i switched them. this was after it began locking up so dont worry about that

they were in the other two slots first then someone told me that they needed to be in the sots closest to the cpu so i switched them. this was after it began locking up so dont worry about that

Alrighty, RMA it is.  And it doesn't matter if it's in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4.  As long as they're in matching dual slots.  Technically that doesn't even matter.

Alrighty, RMA it is.  And it doesn't matter if it's in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4.  As long as they're in matching dual slots.  Technically that doesn't even matter.

IDK if I will RMA them B'cause I kinda need my PC for things and an RMA can take a long time....I have the money to buy a kit now, I might wait til a new kit comes in then RMA the other one. Then id have 16GB's I guess lol IDK

IDK if I will RMA them B'cause I kinda need my PC for things and an RMA can take a long time....I have the money to buy a kit now, I might wait til a new kit comes in then RMA the other one. Then id have 16GB's I guess lol IDK

Sure, go for it lol.  Worst case scenario you have too much RAM, which will never hurt.  Just make sure the speed is the same if you decide to keep them both.

Sure, go for it lol.  Worst case scenario you have too much RAM, which will never hurt.  Just make sure the speed is the same if you decide to keep them both.

thank you for the help mate :)