Help me with accessing programs on a different drive

antoainb

Hello forum!

My SSD arrived today so I installed it and I'm having a problem that I don't know the solution to and that I've been expecting to happen, but I've been putting off making a thread here. Here's the thing, I had some big programs installed on my HDD that I don't have space for in the SSD and I don't really want to reinstall, stuff like Photoshop; there's a problem though, I can't just plug in the drive and run them because it'll be assigned a different drive letter and the programs won't be able to find the files they need to start up or some functionality will be broken. So here's my question: Is there a way to fix this? One that doesn't involve me reinstalling the program or changing the drive letter, the latter wouldn't work since it was C and C is already used by the SSD.

Thanks in advance! :)

i'm a potato

So SSD is drive C

HDD is drive C

SSD installed

HDD not installed 

Am I right until this point?

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

So SSD is drive C

HDD is drive C

SSD installed

HDD not installed 

Am I right until this point?

SSD is C, HDD used to be C but now it's not since it's occupied by the SSD. Both are installed, the SSD through the laptop's SATA port and the HDD is temporarily inside a 2.5" USB enclosure that will be replaced by an optical bay caddy.

i'm a potato

SSD is C, HDD used to be C but now it's not since it's occupied by the SSD. Both are installed, the SSD through the laptop's SATA port and the HDD is temporarily inside a 2.5" USB enclosure that will be replaced by an optical bay caddy.

I think you might have to choose which drive's letter to change.The less hassle the better. 

Honestly I can't think of anything else, sorry  :(

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

When I dealt with this I just pulled the trigger and changed the letter on the old drive. Most of the bigger programs had a repair option when launching the installer. I didn't lose any settings when using that but I also can't comment on what photoshop will do.

why wasn't a new letter assigned to the HD by default?... unplug HD. boot. Hot swap. does windows find it? reboot. what happens?

why wasn't a new letter assigned to the HD by default?... unplug HD. boot. Hot swap. does windows find it? reboot. what happens?

The problem isn't the drive not having any letter, it's programs not finding some files they need because they're looking for them in "C:\PATH\TO\FILE" and there's nothing there, the files are in "D:\PATH\TO\FILE".

i'm a potato

this drive (HD) was the original boot drive? -sizes of drives?

Yes, the HDD was the original boot drive, the HDD is 750GB, 300GB used and the SSD is 256GB.

i'm a potato