Computer refuses to install OS.

cruzzfish

Whenever I start the computer, it will shut itself off and then restart briefly when I have a CD drive plugged into it. It goes into bios setup when it isn't plugged in. I can add it later and still have it work, but when I hit f12 to try to start installing windows or go into boot sequence it tells me there is no bootable device. I *think* that the SSD is in the right place, but not able to look back there and check.

Specs:

X99-UD4

i7-5930k

Crucial ddr4-2133 RAM @16gb

GTX970 SLI.

Toshiba Qseries 512gb SSD.

Windows 7(hopefully)

Do you have your optical drive plugged in via SATA? If so, check to make sure your cable is firmly connected on both ends and you have power going to the optical drive.

Is your CD drive plugged into an Intel SATA port?  Sometimes optical drives won't work properly if plugged into third party ports.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Whenever I start the computer, it will shut itself off and then restart briefly when I have a CD drive plugged into it. It goes into bios setup when it isn't plugged in. I can add it later and still have it work, but when I hit f12 to try to start installing windows or go into boot sequence it tells me there is no bootable device. I *think* that the SSD is in the right place, but not able to look back there and check.

Specs:

X99-UD4

i7-5930k

Crucial ddr4-2133 RAM @16gb

GTX970 SLI.

Toshiba Qseries 512gb SSD.

Windows 7(hopefully)

Try another os like , Fedore which it has an option where you can rescue intall system and backup you files... If fedora boots it  means that is a software problem if not boot then is hardware

might be you ssd, and might your pc doesnt recognise it as a device

Better be installing bootable USB.

If you've any other computer like Laptop or even another PC, you can make a Bootable USB.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

@everyone

Optical drive is an external, which I've heard have issues, but not this early.

@kameshss

What size would I need for that. I don't think I have anything larger than a 32.

What size would I need for that. I don't think I have anything larger than a 32.

8 GB is more than enough!

Quote me if you need any help!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

@everyone

Optical drive is an external, which I've heard have issues, but not this early.

I've tried to install using an external optical drive before, and could never manage to get it to work.  

kameshss's idea of using a bootable USB would probably be your easiest option.  There are instructions all about the internet for how to do this.  The Windows install is just over 8 GB, so you'll probably need a 16 GB USB stick.  

Alternatively, is there an internal optical drive that you can temporarily steal from another computer in your house?  This would be even easier still.  All you have to do is have it attached for the installation part, then you can remove it and stick it back in its home computer.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Alternatively, is there an internal optical drive that you can temporarily steal from another computer in your house?  This would be even easier still.  All you have to do is have it attached for the installation part, then you can remove it and stick it back in its home computer.  

unfortunately, no. It wouldn't fit in the case very well. I know someone who managed to install with external drive once, but he couldn't help much with this one. I'm pretty sure the main issue right now though is the SATA port that the SSD is hooked up to.

I *think* that the SSD is in the right place, but not able to look back there and check.

What do you mean you think? Why aren't you able to double check your connections? Also look to the motherboard manual, it usually specifies what SATA port should be used for an OS/Boot drive.

What do you mean you think? Why aren't you able to double check your connections? Also look to the motherboard manual, it usually specifies what SATA port should be used for an OS/Boot drive.

Can't double check connection because it's behind a bunch of wires, and overall the stuff I would need to take out would mean draining a whole watercooling loop. I just took it out and put it back in the one that should be right, but all I can see is from an angle that isn't the best.

Edit. It recognizes the hard drive now. Now it just says to input proper boot device, even after selecting the hard drive.

Edit. It recognizes the hard drive now. Now it just says to input proper boot device, even after selecting the hard drive.

Reset the BIOS to the default settings. Change your boot priority list to 1. Your installation media (CD/DVD/USB Drive) and 2. Your SSD. Then under drive order, make sure that your primary drive is set first (if you only have one drive then that should already be done).

Then enter the CD/DVD/USB Drive etc. into the computer, and when booting up it will say "press any key to boot from xxx," press "any key" and then follow the on-screen instructions to install your OS.

After the initial install the computer will restart, and you can remove your installation media so that it boots from the main SSD. After that's all done you go back into BIOS and change the first boot device priority to your SSD that the OS is installed on.

Reset the BIOS to the default settings. Change your boot priority list to 1. Your installation media (CD/DVD/USB Drive) and 2. Your SSD. Then under drive order, make sure that your primary drive is set first (if you only have one drive then that should already be done).

It doesn't show up in the boot priority section. All I see is the SSD, and nothing happens when I plug in the USB.

Are you using a USB front header?

Yes.

There wasn't much different with the back ones though.

No.

Will do.

Also, how did you put Windows 7 onto the flash drive? Sometimes tools will format the flash drive using NTFS that some UEFI systems won't boot from if on a USB stick. To get the USB drive to boot when this is the case, you should copy the data from the flash drive into a folder on to a computer, then reformat the flash drive using the older FAT32 file system, and then copy that same data back onto the drive.

Also, how did you put Windows 7 onto the flash drive? Sometimes tools will format the flash drive using NTFS that some UEFI systems won't boot from if on a USB stick. To get the USB drive to boot when this is the case, you should copy the data from the flash drive into a folder on to a computer, then reformat the flash drive using the older FAT32 file system, and then copy that same data back onto the drive.

If you can recommend a better way, that would be great.