Hitachi drive sounds like a railgun

BadBathtubDuck

Hey guys,

I recently build a new System and I decided to put a Hitachi HDD in there because they seem to be the most reliable (I have a SSD for windows and sotware). But the porblem i have now is that this HDD sounds like a railgun when writing. It already has an antivibrationmount in my Corsair 750D and i also tried hanging it into rubberbands. Actually i think the shots come from the drive itself. Its loudest when i write some data into MySQL databases. Unfortunately there is no noise to performace setting for this drive. So heres the question: Is there any dampener or something similiar which will kill this sound? If not, any suggestions for a quiet and reliable 2TB drive? (I have only had bad experiences with seagate so far, dont even try to convince me!)

**UPDATE**

I attached a soundfile, i know it doesent seem to be really loud but believe me, irl it is!(Turn up the volume! ) At the begining there is a mouseklick executing a phpscript, which writes some data into a Database. 

HDDNoise.wav

Hey guys,

I recently build a new System and I decided to put a Hitachi HDD in there because they seem to be the most reliable (I have a SSD for windows and sotware). But the porblem i have now is that this HDD sounds like a railgun when writing. It already has an antivibrationmount in my Corsair 750D and i also tried hanging it into rubberbands. Actually i think the shots come from the drive itself. Its loudest when i write some data into MySQL databases. Unfortunately there is no noise to performace setting for this drive. So heres the question: Is there any dampener or something similiar which will kill this sound? If not, any suggestions for a quiet and reliable 2TB drive? (I have only had bad experiences with seagate so far, dont even try to convince me!)

If it is a lot louder than usual it could be a sign that it is failing. If you really want a quiet HDD you could go with something under 7200rpm but it will be slower.

My Hitatchi 2TB sounds funny as well (not loud when writing though) But does it do that sound when you first boot of *spin spin BEEP* ? Im curious.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hey guys,

Are you able to get a recording of the sound it makes? If you have a mic or a headset w/ built in mic, you could try holding the mic right up to the HDD.

Most likely, you're hearing the HDD Head moving around. This could be normal for the drive, or it could be a sign that the drive is defective or dying.

If you want a quiet drive, you should really put a low RPM drive inside like a WD Green or comparable, either a 5200 RPM or 5900 RPM drive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I dont think its failing. I cant hear it on idle, only when writing so the head moving would be my first guess as well. I will try to record it. Is there any specific HDD u can recommend? Lower speed isn't really an option for me.

My Hitatchi 2TB sounds funny as well (not loud when writing though) But does it do that sound when you first boot of *spin spin BEEP* ? Im curious.

Didnt hear that.