Err is my HDD okay..?

MattTheMayor

from the video i just posted can you tell or no?

No because that is the sound of all the HGST HDDs i have used in my time and i have used about 7 - 10 and was one of the reasons why i went to seagate HDDs and yes i do find seagate is better than WD. It is quiet nerve wrecking i know, so invest in a new HDD to be on the safe side.

Im my experience i don't rely on chkdsk for mechanical HDDs because they are very unpredictable depending on how that are treated. My current seagate HDDs have fell twice from about four feet and they still work. I have had two WD HDDs slipped out of my hand about a half of a foot on a wooden table and they stopped working, they were both Blues. I also had a toshiba fall about the same distance and it worked for about two months and just suddenly stopped.

IMO, once a mechanical HDD starts to make a noise at any stage of its life, it is time to get a backup fast.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What is SMART and how can I check it?

SMART is like a log for the hard drive, it records the number of starts, stops, and plenty of more info about the health of the hard drive.

Get Aida64 or Crystal Disk Info, those can show you the SMART values.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Hi there @MattTheMayor.

I don't think there's something wrong with your hard drive - it's just a little bit noisy. Nonetheless, I agree with the others that you should backup your data (copying it on a different location) not just because of the noise, but also because that way it will be safe.

After doing so, I would suggest to test the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tool (I think Hitachi's one was named WinDFT) and see if any errors are detected. Then you can let me know how it went. :)

As for the WD drive you've mentioned, it will do a good job as a boot drive.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/