Can my monitor be saved? (Used wrong power supply)

Icefire555

So I have been up all night swapping my mobo and cpu and doing cable management. When I booted on my computer I used the wrong power brick on my monitor. It worked fine for about 15-20 minutes and then powered off. At first I thought the comp went to sleep, but after I tried turning it back on I quickly noticed a blinking light on the powersupply. after a closer look I found out I used a 12v 5a power cord on a 19v 3.42a monitor

The monitor will not turn on at this point. it's a Acer s271hl Not a super valuable monitor. But still my secondary monitor. 

Does anyone have any idea on what to do? I heard it may be possible to replace capacitors or something in it.

Everything can be saved, it's the question of is it worth saving.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

have you tried using its proper psu on it?

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Try using the supplied PSU and see what happens.

have you tried using its proper psu on it?

Yes, it wouldn't power on. that is why I am here. I have only a small amount of knowledge about monitors.

maybe the fuse is blown. if you open the monitor you can replace it

That would be amazing if the problem was as simple as that. after I sleep I will look into opening the monitor. 

I can see a problem using an over voltage power supply, but an under one? The screen just shouldn't have turned on. If it doesn't work with the original power supply, then something may have gone when undervolted. Got a multimeter to check the power supply? Just to make sure it's working?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

I can see a problem using an over voltage power supply, but an under one? The screen just shouldn't have turned on. If it doesn't work with the original power supply, then something may have gone when undervolted. Got a multimeter to check the power supply? Just to make sure it's working?

Sure I will check it in a few hours and update you on the results. 

However the original power supply was never broken before the monitor died. So I would guess it's probably not broken.

The monitor died when using a different monitor's power supply. (I have 2 at my desk)

Have you tried using the correct power brick?

Might have damaged some internals.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

did you plug in the correct power supply? using a smaller power supply on a device should not allow the device to power up, im surprised it did. 

edit: please bump your old thread instead of creating a new thread. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

hmm, send it back if you have warranty.

I think it´s broken and I don´t think you have the time and experience and materials to replace those broken pieces.

I hope it´s not broken and someone can help you here.

Good luck! 

Have you tried using the correct power brick?

Might have damaged some internals.

Yes I tried the right one. I saw something online about replacing capacitors. 

Yes I tried the right one. I saw something online about replacing capacitors. 

Well considering it was a higher amperage power supply, if the monitor has a fuse inside of it, it could have blown the fuse.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

hmm, send it back if you have warranty.

I think it´s broken and I don´t think you have the time and experience and materials to replace those broken pieces.

I hope it´s not broken and someone can help you here.

Good luck! 

I have had made Sumo bots before. I know how to work with some circuit boards. You can't assume someone doesn't know how to follow instructions by looking at a post. please don't assume that. 

retoast, you posted the same thread earlier this morning.

I'm sorry but the other post got very little attention and I don't see anything online. I don't really have many options. This is going to be the last attempt on the forum.

I'd say you should take it apart and examine the caps and such to see if any of that stuff was damaged, and if anything is then let us know :P

did you plug in the correct power supply? using a smaller power supply on a device should not allow the device to power up, im surprised it did. 

edit: please bump your old thread instead of creating a new thread. 

I tried the right one and it didn't do anything.

And I didn't know bumping did anything on this forum.

I have had made Sumo bots before. I know how to work with some circuit boards. You can't assume someone doesn't know how to follow instructions by looking at a post. please don't assume that. 

You´re asking US a question if your monitor is broken, so I thought you don´t know what you´re doing.

And if the panel is f**d, it will probably cost you more than the monitor. Maybe you can get them cheap used.

btw: I will always expect that someone is not experienced. For his/her own good.

retoast, you posted the same thread earlier this morning.

He already Toasted the bread? Must be burnt now? (JK)

You´re asking US a question if your monitor is broken, so I thought you don´t know what you´re doing.

And if the panel is f**d, it will probably cost you more than the monitor. Maybe you can get them cheap used.

btw: I will always expect that someone is not experienced. For his/her own good.

I'm asking people for ideas. I may look at a situation differently and others may have had similar experiences. 

And it may not be. if the capacitors are broken it will only cost a few dollars to fix. if a fuse is broken maybe a dollar. 

And I understand that, but you can be polite about it.

I'm asking people for ideas. I may look at a situation differently and others may have had similar experiences. 

And it may not be. if the capacitors are broken it will only cost a few dollars to fix. if a fuse is broken maybe a dollar. 

I try to help and you get offended that I assume without knowing you and asking a question "monitor wont turn on i used the wrong power supply" that you don´t have experience.

Whats wrong with you, I didn´t say """"" you. Man you´re getting offended easy.

Same thing when unexperienced people ask if you can open a powersupply. Just don´t wet yourself when I assume you have no idea what you´re doing.

It can be a fuse, or a broken capacitor...

open it, check if either is broken, if yes, fix it, if no, buy a new one( possibly used) --> solved