MDP vs HDMI and a bit of Thunderbolt

Daniel Davis
Go to solution Solved by SIGSEGV,

Do the H make that big of a difference?

Yes, for example, if it's limited to 24Hz it means that your computer can only display 24FPS. 60Hz is like, the minimum that you should have.

So recently I've been watching tech channels such as Linustechtips and Austin Evans but i seem to brain fart every time when i see a graphics card video,what i mean is when they bring up mini display ports i am like what the hell are those? I see them next to HDMI but im very secptical on using them so my main questions are:

1.) Are mini display port like thunderbolt cables?

2.) What are thunderbolt cables?

3.) From my knowledge thunderbolt cables can support 4k so is thunderbolt for pc and if so what monitor is good for it?

4.) Is HDMI better or inferior to the Mini Display port race?

5.) Is MDP ports good for gaming>

6.) Is there any good Gaming monitors with multiple MDP 

So recently I've been watching tech channels such as Linustechtips and Austin Evans but i seem to brain fart every time when i see a graphics card video,what i mean is when they bring up mini display ports i am like what the hell are those? I see them next to HDMI but im very secptical on using them so my main questions are:

1.) Are mini display port like thunderbolt cables?

2.) What are thunderbolt cables?

3.) From my knowledge thunderbolt cables can support 4k so is thunderbolt for pc and if so what monitor is good for it?

4.) Is HDMI better or inferior to the Mini Display port race?

5.) Is MDP ports good for gaming>

6.) Is there any good Gaming monitors with multiple MDP 

1) MDP is part of Thunderbolt

2) Thunderbolt cables are used for Intel's Thunderbolt connections, used in all newer Macs and some PCs.

3)Thunderbolt carries Mini DisplayPort Signal, which is the same signal as standard DisplayPort. So yes, Thunderbolt is one of the few standards that support 4K @ 60 Hz.

4) HDMI, both 1.4a and 2.0 are inferior, as they don't support Adaptive Vsync (required for G-Sync) and 1.4a only supports 4K at 24Hz

5)It's the same as DisplayPort, and connections don't really matter, so yes.

6) Haven't heard of any. But DisplayPort, found in many monitors, can easily be converted into Mini DisplayPort, as the signal is the same.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1) From what I understand, thunderbolt somewhat uses and is backwards compatible with minidisplayport.

2) Thunderbolt is a standard for faster data transfer between host and peripherals. It's mainly developed by Intel and mainly adopted by Apple.

3) Use MiniDisplayPort. DisplayPort supports 4K @ 60Hz, while HDMI 1.4 does not. HDMI 2.0 is coming out soon.

4) MiniDisplayPort is generally better.

5) It can be helpful to gamers to have the higher bandwidth, especially with higher resolutions and refresh rates.

6) Maybe.

Sig under construction.

I recently purchased some mini-display port to hdmi cables because the monitors I have a HDMI port on them.. 

The graphics card I purchased to use is a XFX R9 280 which has 2 mini-display ports, 1 hdmi port and two dvi ports....

So here is the cables I am using for three monitor setup.. Hope it works? Never done eyeinfinity before.

Mini-Display Port to HDMI Cables ~ Lenght 6 feet

Features:
  • This cable features a Mini DisplayPort connector and a male HDMI connector to provide sound for newer models of mac.
  • Compatible with Macs that use a Mini DisplayPort for video output.
  • Use this to connect to an external monitor or other display device with HDMI input jacks.
  • Color: White & Gold
  • Length: 6FT
The newest monitors I want are these:

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz - 1ms

And these have a Display port, HDMI port on them...

Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt use the same connector.

Thunderbolt takes 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes and sticks them in with Displayport 1.1a or 1.2 depending on the version. It's used for data transfers and has a max. throughput of 20Gb/s. It's pretty obscure at the moment, not very many devices use it, and those that do carry a hefty price premium that fails to pay off most of the time right now.

Thunderbolt does support 4K-60 but you have to remember that that's DisplayPort working there. It's essentially no different to MDP in that regard.

HDMI uses DVI signaling, which is a heavily, heavily dated standard from 1999. 1.4 supports up to 4K at 30Hz but running a single tile 4K display at 60Hz on 1.4 is impossible. 2.0 will be able to do it, but it's going to require new hardware to cope with the new standard. DisplayPort on the other hand can already drive 4K monitors at 60Hz and has A-Vsync to go along with it. Mini DisplayPort is the same standard but in a smaller package. so objectively, HDMI is inferior.

As far as gaming goes, MDP is nice if you want to just plug and go with your cables, but if you are building a computer that you're planning on having in one spot for a while, you will want regular DisplayPort. It has a latch on it so that it won't just fall out of your monitor, (cough cough HDMI) but it's a snap to take out when you actually need to (Cough DVI, VGA, cough cough) Displayport in my opinion, is the superior interface for any application, because it's just so damn simple, the connector doesn't feel like it's gonna break all the time, and it's an industrial standard for monitors. If you have a workstation graphics card these days, you will be using Displayport. My 7970 is a gaming card, but Asus gave it 4 full displayports and 2 DVIs, which is crazy.

Most monitors will have full DisplayPort if they actually have it, since there's no need to compromise space. Some have multiple full DisplayPort, but very few have straight MiniDisplayPort. MDP for all intents and purposes is intended to be adapted out to full Displayport.

Is a regular display port the same and supports 4k?

yes it does

and if you use a converter to hdmi is there still 4k?

yes it still supports 4K but only 24Hz instead of 60Hz on DisplayPort

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Do the H make that big of a difference?

Yes, for example, if it's limited to 24Hz it means that your computer can only display 24FPS. 60Hz is like, the minimum that you should have.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15