Thought that I would say hi before my stats showed up

I have been watching the videos made by Linus and the team for some time now and just joined the forums in the last day.

While browsing through the forums, I found your informaiton for your BOINC team and just moved over my credits to your team.  So, these should start showing up in the next couple of days.

February 2015 will make 10 years for me running various and sundry BOINC projects.

So, I thought that I would throw my future contributions in with your group.

sig.png

Sweet :), welcome to the team and the forum, hope you have a good time here. 

Those are some pretty peculiar projects you have decided to contribute to.

I have been watching the videos made by Linus and the team for some time now and just joined the forums in the last day.

While browsing through the forums, I found your informaiton for your BOINC team and just moved over my credits to your team.  So, these should start showing up in the next couple of days.

February 2015 will make 10 years for me running various and sundry BOINC projects.

So, I thought that I would throw my future contributions in with your group.

sig.png

So, you're saying now that I'm finally credit leader in our team, you've decided to join up and put me in spot #2 again after just a few days at the top? :P

No, seriously, very happy to have you, welcome to the forums and the team. That is some serious BOINC history you have there. :)

Also, once the team change has propagated through the stats you should have enough credits for a BOINC forum badge, you can PM @Whaler_99 or myself about it.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hi and welcome to the team :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Thanks for all of the replies.  :)

However, I am a bit disappointed in BOINC Stats at the moment since they have not yet updated my switch to your team.

I have made the switch in every project that I can access and join via the BOINC Stats page.  Finally, I messaged them a bug report since it has been nearly a week since the switch was made.

Still hoping for the update to happen. 

Thanks for all of the replies.  :)

However, I am a bit disappointed in BOINC Stats at the moment since they have not yet updated my switch to your team.

I have made the switch in every project that I can access and join via the BOINC Stats page.  Finally, I messaged them a bug report since it has been nearly a week since the switch was made.

Still hoping for the update to happen.

Yeah, this stuff can be very weird in BOINC. For example, on free-dc.org, you're listed as

a new entry to our team, but on your personal page you're listed as a member of team "AMD Users"

(I hope I have the right profile :Dlink).

So yeah, not sure what's going on. I've also thought about making a change to my account,

switching from "discrepancy" to "alpenwasser" as my BOINC username, but considering how

finicky the stats can be I have so far decided against it.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yeah, this stuff can be very weird in BOINC. For example, on free-dc.org, you're listed as

a new entry to our team, but on your personal page you're listed as a member of team "AMD Users"

(I hope I have the right profile :Dlink).

So yeah, not sure what's going on. I've also thought about making a change to my account,

switching from "discrepancy" to "alpenwasser" as my BOINC username, but considering how

finicky the stats can be I have so far decided against it.

Yep, that is little old me.  

I was thinking that I may have to totally leave all teams and then let the refresh happen before this will work. 

But I am going to wait and see what happens in the next few days before I try that.

Sorry to be the rookie here, but what is boinc?

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

Sorry to be the rookie here, but what is boinc?

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

It is a worldwide volunteer computing project where you can donate your computer's idle time in scientific projects for biology, math, astrophysics, etc.

It is a worldwide volunteer computing project where you can donate your computer's idle time in scientific projects for biology, math, astrophysics, etc.

Sounds fun!

Sounds fun!

it certainly is, it's awesome. And you are free to join in if you want :P

it certainly is, it's awesome. And you are free to join in if you want :P

Ummm hmm as soon as I build imply first rig

Well would you look at that, I'm at No 2 again... :D

2015-01-06--00-44-06--no2-again.png

Well would you look at that, I'm at No 2 again... :D

2015-01-06--00-44-06--no2-again.png

Yeah, but you will catch up to me in a couple of months.  I only have four computers working on BOINC at the moment.

Yeah, but you will catch up to me in a couple of months.  I only have four computers working on BOINC at the moment.

Well, it's much more interesting if I have an objective to look forward to than just hanging around on the top spot to be honest. :D

Aside from that, the majority of my credits come from GPUGrid; I have a GTX Titan crunching on that, which isn't really fair to compare to CPU credits anyway.

But hey, if you want to help to utterly break the credit system, you can always get yourself an ASIC (or a few) for Bitcoin and join BitcoinUtopia, you'll probably get more credits in a day than you have so far in 10 years... :blink:

Just look at the global BOINC stats:

chart.png

One project generating 13.5 times as many credits as all other projects combined? Uhm, yeah...

Well, it's much more interesting if I have an objective to look forward to than just hanging around on the top spot to be honest. :D

Aside from that, the majority of my credits come from GPUGrid; I have a GTX Titan crunching on that, which isn't really fair to compare to CPU credits anyway.

But hey, if you want to help to utterly break the credit system, you can always get yourself an ASIC (or a few) for Bitcoin and join BitcoinUtopia, you'll probably get more credits in a day than you have so far in 10 years... :blink:

Just look at the global BOINC stats:

One project generating 13.5 times as many credits as all other projects combined? Uhm, yeah...

Lol, this gave me a pretty good laugh. I think you have mentioned this in the past.

Still, that's just hilarious. And it has only been around since 2014?

Asic miners are very specialized, but god dammn.

Lol, this gave me a pretty good laugh. I think you have mentioned this in the past.

Still, that's just hilarious. And it has only been around since 2014?

Asic miners are very specialized, but god dammn.

I think I mentioned the GPU/CPU thing at some point yeah, but I only actually found out about the Bitcoin Utopia debacle two weeks ago.

The thing is, I don't even think it was malicious intent on part of the BitcoinUtopia people.

From what I can tell, they basically did this:

- find out how many hashes a CPU generates when coin mining => assign base credit for that

- find out how many hashes an ASIC generates => extrapolate number of credits based on CPU performance

Since ASICs are so much better at mining than CPUs, this of course inflates the number of credits you get for ASIC crunching into utterly astronomical levels.

There are a few problems with this (and if you google around a bit, you'll find quite a few discussions on this on various BOINC forums), but for me personally, two primarily stick out:

- Firstly, BOINC credits are supposed to be some indicator of work having been done, and that basically means floating point operations. ASICs do not do floating point operations, so assigning credits to ASIC work is kinda incorrect from that POV. Of course, the BOINC credit system just was not designed with this in mind, so there wasn't really much the BitcoinUtopia guys could do on this. So, to take this into account, the credit system would need to be revised (and there are efforts in this direction, but if it ever happens at all I reckon it will take a long time to implement, and I'm very skeptical about it happening to be honest).

- Secondly, it has always been a cornerstone of the BOINC credit system that financial donations are rewarded separately from crunching work, e.g. you are mentioned on a project's website or something like that. So, you cannot buy credits. BitcoinUtopia undermines this. What you end up doing is basically donate bitcoins to a project of your choice (so, a financial contribution), but you then get credits for that. So, when you donate money to a project through BitcoinUtopia, you are awarded credits for your contribution (and a shitloat of them at that), when you donate $$$ directly, you are not.

Then there are some other issues, like BitcoinUtopia taking quite a significant percentage for themselves, and of course the good ol' question of who is behind it and will they just steal the credits at some point and vanish into thin air (that alone would prevent me from ever running that project tbh).

It's not like the credit system was perfect before, with the disparity between CPU and GPU work, but at least there the credit disparity was based on actual work being done, there was some real-world logic behind it, whereas the BitcoinUtopia credits are awarded for work which is in its nature not really comparable to CPU and GPU floating-point work.

So yeah, for the foreseeable future the credit system is not just kinda skewed, it's actually properly broken IMHO.

Ill join in if you tell me what to do :P

Start with this thread, if you get stuck make a new thread with your question(s). :)

Wait, if I set up a raspberry pi with a USB port and bought a few £20 miners how much would it be contributing?

Wait, if I set up a raspberry pi with a USB port and bought a few £20 miners how much would it be contributing?

Well, financially probably almost nothing (and that's not taking into account the question of whether or not BitcoinUtopia is just a scam in the making).

Credit-wise I'm not sure. I don't know how many miners those people generating tons of credits have online.

Personally I don't think I'd ever do this tbh. On one hand, the whole project seems very suspect to me (we don't really know who's behind it, so as said, potential for being scammed is pretty high IMO), and on the other hand it's basically exploiting a deficiency in the BOINC credit system to break said system.

Of course, that doesn't need to bother you, just my two cents. ;)

So yeah, for the foreseeable future the credit system is not just kinda skewed, it's actually properly broken IMHO.

i think you can objectively say it's broken at this point,

no opinion. Just fact :P

That is just sad.  I know that there have been some projects that were complained about loudly before about them breaking the credit system.  But this is just in a whole different level.

I can remember the pre-BOINC SETI@Home program and people trying to hack that to post more points than they actually worked.

At least, I can say that I came by my points honestly and not exploiting a flaw.