Where to plug e-sata

jakjakattack

So I just finished my computer building and I want to install my os. As I did not buy a cd/dvd drive/reader for my computer I bought an external e-sata one. Thing is, I cant find an e-sata port anywhere on my board or on the back i/o. My board is the Gigabyte 970a ud3p. Does it not have an e-sata?

As far as I can find, it does not have one.

Any suggestion on what to do then? Can I use my laptop to put Windows on a flash drive? Or should I just get an adapter?

I always thought that eSATA was the exact same thing as just SATA, but with added power delivery. If your external reader has its own separate power source, you should be able to temporarily plug it into an internal SATA port in order to do your install.

I always thought that eSATA was the exact same thing as just SATA, but with added power delivery. If your external reader has its own separate power source, you should be able to temporarily plug it into an internal SATA port in order to do your install.

No this one wasnt even the same the same port as sata. I tried.

eSATA is not the same as regular SATA. On one end you have a regular SATA connector, and on the other you have the eSATA connector. The eSATA is flat and lacks the L shape of SATA (you will notice many eSATA ports also double as USB ports). It also does not deliver power, and you do have to have an external power adapter. 

OP, you should return that DVD drive and replace it with a simple USB external drive. 

Intel Core i7-4790k | 16GB HyperX Fury | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life. -Jessica Hische

eSATA is not the same as regular SATA. On one end you have a regular SATA connector, and on the other you have the eSATA connector. The eSATA is flat and lacks the L shape of SATA (you will notice many eSATA ports also double as USB ports). It also does not deliver power, and you do have to have an external power adapter. 

OP, you should return that DVD drive and replace it with a simple USB external drive. 

Its not mine its my friends or I would return it for a usb one.

use the laptop and make a bootable flash drive to install put your install disk on it

make sure your boot is set to use the flash in the BIOS here is a video same with win 8 too 

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz OC'ed to 3.4,  Asus M2N 32-SLI Wi-Fi Deluxe ,  MSI GTX 670 OC Power Edition 2 gig , Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler,

2GB x 4 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 8GB Edition Dual Channel,  Rosewill Hive 650 Watt Semi modular, Win 7 Ultimate  64bit

- Removed as I forgot to press the post button, and someone above already posted the video - 

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Its not mine its my friends or I would return it for a usb one.

Then unfortunately you may just be stuck with going to Best Buy and buying one :(

The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life. -Jessica Hische

You could also get a PCI-e eSATA card. They're pretty reasonable cost wise and come in handy. All but the ones that are pure junk are bootable. 

i followed this guide. 

I got to format fs=fat32 quick and after that it said "Virtual Disk Service error: The volume size is to big. Would my 1tb be affecting this?

i followed this guide. 

I got to format fs=fat32 quick and after that it said "Virtual Disk Service error: The volume size is to big. Would my 1tb be affecting this?

Try formatting as NTFS instead. FAT32 only supports like 4gb of data I believe. NTFS is the newest standard. 

It sounds like you are using disk part on that flash drive. Disk Part is a great tool but be VERY, VERY, CAREFUL. If you are using disk part on a computer with a drive that has windows installed and you run the "clean" command you can and will delete everything on that drive with no confirmation or "are you sure?" message. It will just BSOD and then done. Kaput. 

With that word of warning out of the way here's the steps you should take when using diskpart. 

Open an elevated command prompt.

Type diskpart.exe

Type "list disk"

Type "select disk (insert disk number here)"

Type "clean" (this is where you need to be 100% sure you selected the right disk)

Type "create partition primary"

Type "active"

Type "format fs=ntfs quick"

Type "assign"

Then you're done and can use the disk however you like. We use diskpart in our shop a lot so I'm fairly familiar with it. That video is a bit older and fat32 was still fairly common in the vista days. 

Try formatting as NTFS instead. FAT32 only supports like 4gb of data I believe. NTFS is the newest standard. 

It sounds like you are using disk part on that flash drive. Disk Part is a great tool but be VERY, VERY, CAREFUL. If you are using disk part on a computer with a drive that has windows installed and you run the "clean" command you can and will delete everything on that drive with no confirmation or "are you sure?" message. It will just BSOD and then done. Kaput. 

With that word of warning out of the way here's the steps you should take when using diskpart. 

Open an elevated command prompt.

Type diskpart.exe

Type "list disk"

Type "select disk (insert disk number here)"

Type "clean" (this is where you need to be 100% sure you selected the right disk)

Type "create partition primary"

Type "active"

Type "format fs=ntfs quick"

Type "assign"

Then you're done and can use the disk however you like. We use diskpart in our shop a lot so I'm fairly familiar with it. That video is a bit older and fat32 was still fairly common in the vista days. 

So can I use this for my big 1tb disk that I cant use fat32 for?

So can I use this for my big 1tb disk that I cant use fat32 for?

you can use disk part on any hard disk. DO NOT use the clean command on SSDs or flash memory. You can reduce and degrade the life of the drive by doing so because of the way solid state drives handle writing data.

But I guess I'm confused as to what you arte trying to do. Are you trying to create a bootable windows install drive? Because doing that from a 1TB hard drive is not going to work very well. You would want to use a flash drive or a dvd for that.

If you are simply trying to wipe your 1TB hard drive before doing a windows install you don't need to use diskpart for that. That can all be handled from within the windows installation process.

you can use disk part on any hard disk. DO NOT use the clean command on SSDs or flash memory. You can reduce and degrade the life of the drive by doing so because of the way solid state drives handle writing data.

But I guess I'm confused as to what you arte trying to do. Are you trying to create a bootable windows install drive? Because doing that from a 1TB hard drive is not going to work very well. You would want to use a flash drive or a dvd for that.

If you are simply trying to wipe your 1TB hard drive before doing a windows install you don't need to use diskpart for that. That can all be handled from within the windows installation process.

Yes, I am try to create a bootable windows install drive. (Plug it in and my computer gets windows) Also, dont worry it worked (at least so far) with your ntfs format. If it stops working for some reason, I have got a usb drive coming in today. 

Yes, I am try to create a bootable windows install drive. (Plug it in and my computer gets windows) Also, dont worry it worked (at least so far) with your ntfs format. If it stops working for some reason, I have got a usb drive coming in today. 

OK. The only thing I'm worried about I guess is if you are using the 1TB as the installation source AND the installation destination then you could run into issues.

But yeah, fat32 does not work on large volumes. Only up to 4GB of data I believe.

OK. The only thing I'm worried about I guess is if you are using the 1TB as the installation source AND the installation destination then you could run into issues.

But yeah, fat32 does not work on large volumes. Only up to 4GB of data I believe.

No I have a internal harddrive as my destination

No I have a internal harddrive as my destination

Then you should be absolutely fine to use the 1TB as a source.

Then you should be absolutely fine to use the 1TB as a source.

Thanks, btw using your format worked.

Thanks, btw using your format worked.

No problem :D