Re-downloading Windows 8.1

TheLunarHero

Recently I purchased an SSD so instead of cloning my OS (OEM Windows 8.1) over I decided to do a clean install. Of course, it asked for my activation key which I supplied but because it has already been used, my desktop now says "Windows 8.1  Build 9600" in the bottom right corner. In addition, at random times during use a blue screen pops up asking me to activate Windows; there's no way I'm buying another activation key, but this is extremely annoying as it will pop up while gaming, minimizing the application. Is there any way to trick it into thinking my code is fresh? It's not like I'm stealing Windows, I just needed to re-download it. Thanks.

Recently I purchased an SSD so instead of cloning my OS (OEM Windows 8.1) over I decided to do a clean install. Of course, it asked for my activation key which I supplied but because it has already been used, my desktop now says "Windows 8.1  Build 9600" in the bottom right corner. In addition, at random times during use a blue screen pops up asking me to activate Windows; there's no way I'm buying another activation key, but this is extremely annoying as it will pop up while gaming, minimizing the application. Is there any way to trick it into thinking my code is fresh? It's not like I'm stealing Windows, I just needed to re-download it. Thanks.

why dont you just activate it?

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

why dont you just activate it?

I tried, but since my activation code has been used more than once it says it's invalid. :(

I tried, but since my activation code has been used more than once it says it's invalid. :(

it should work anyways. I have had a similar problem where windows would use some random key, not the one I originally used for the system install, to activate, causing it to fail. I had to enter my key, replacing the one that was already there.

Make sure, that the key entered is actually yours.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I've heard of people calling Microsoft when they have similar issues and getting a fresh license key.... You could try that, at  most you might lose some time waiting on hold. 

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

Maybe you have Windows 8 Product key, won't work with 8.1 Windows installer.

Or maybe you have a Upgrade Windows 8.1 Product Key 

If is that the case theres 2 options :

Option 1 :

Re install a earlier copy of windows, doesnt matter if its not activated.

Then upgrade to 8.1.

Option 2 :

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
6. Reboot

Good Luck :P

I forgot, if theres a option to activate by phone, call microsoft and tell the machine the number of Pc's installed is 0. 

Good luck. :P

Is this on a laptop with Window 8 single language preinstalled?

Didn't read properly.

1. Try open an elevated command prompt(Win+X>A),

2. Type slmgr /rilc, close bunch of windows popping up,

3. Then type slmgr /ipk <insert window key here>

4. Type slmgr /ato

Did you install the correct version btw? Some OEM use Single Language/Single Language with Bing so you need to reinstall the exact version if you want to use back your key.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |