A VPN for the whole network?

TheSven

Hi Networking. I know that you can make a Tor node for your whole network to run through and stay secure with that, but Logan doesn't trust Tor, so I don't think I will either. He uses a VPN on his PC and I was just wondering if you could get the entire home network to run through a VPN, like before the router or a switch, etc. Is this possible? Thanks.

If you setup the router to go to vpn then yes it's possible... how? that depends on vpn and router

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

See if your router is on this list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Depending on what VPN service you have, you can setup the router to connect via your VPN. Just keep in mind, if you're doing any gaming, latency will be increased. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine you can have certain MAC addresses be sent through the VPN and others bypass it. I just use VPN clients on my devices rather than on the whole network.

See if your router is on this list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Depending on what VPN service you have, you can setup the router to connect via your VPN. Just keep in mind, if you're doing any gaming, latency will be increased. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine you can have certain MAC addresses be sent through the VPN and others bypass it. I just use VPN clients on my devices rather than on the whole network.

If you setup the router to go to vpn then yes it's possible... how? that depends on vpn and router

Thank you. Do you think it would work with a pfSense router?

Maybe? You'd have to search the ddwrt database at that link I posted.

Yes you can do this on pfsense. Create the VPN client connection and once you have the new interface, you can select it as the outbound NAT interface.

Do you have a pfsense router at the edge of your network ? as you would want the VPN as close to the edge of your network as possible.

Most home routers come with this function built in.

Do you have a pfsense router at the edge of your network ? as you would want the VPN as close to the edge of your network as possible.

Most home routers come with this function built in.

I don't have a good router at the minute, I'm just planning for the future.

I done a little with pfsense in the past but I could never get it to have a stable ppoe connection through my modem to the provider. i wanted to add it as a firewall on the edge of the network.

I ended up getting an old Cisco 877 that done this for me.

I would be interested to see the outcome if you do go this route. 

Good luck :-)

I done a little with pfsense in the past but I could never get it to have a stable ppoe connection through my modem to the provider. i wanted to add it as a firewall on the edge of the network.

I ended up getting an old Cisco 877 that done this for me.

I would be interested to see the outcome if you do go this route. 

Good luck :-)

I'll post a log on here or on YouTube if I ever get it done :)

Why do you want to run a whole network VPN?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

pfSense has good support for VPN both acting as a Server and Client as long as you stick to the OpenVPN standard. PPTP/L2TP can be hit or miss but you shouldn't really use them if you want a secure connection anyway.

I currently have a pfSense router setup connecting two VPN networks and routing client traffic through them depending on destination IP. I've been thinking about writing a guide how to set it up but I haven't got around to doing it yet...