GTX 980 STRIX, temping a little too hot?

Aleks

In idle this card is staying around 60C. I don't believe this is normal and it is worry sum because while holding the card I notices the PCB to be very loose from the heat sink. It will move around almost freely. Should I exchange the card? I would love some input on this! Thanks.

It's because of the feature that turns off the fans until the temp hits about 65C. It's normal for strix cards.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

In idle this card is staying around 60C. I don't believe this is normal and it is worry sum because while holding the card I notices the PCB to be very loose from the heat sink. It will move around almost freely. Should I exchange the card? I would love some input on this! Thanks.

try setting a different fan curve

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

It's because of the feature that turns off the fans until the temp hits about 65C. It's normal for strix cards.

try setting a different fan curve

Thanks for that guys, running the fan speed at a quite 30% and getting just above 30C. Thanks!

Thanks for that guys, running the fan speed at a quite 30% and getting just above 30C. Thanks!

No problem. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Why does everyone freak out about idle temps? They really never matter, strix cards don't turn their fan on for zero noise. Once it gets hot enough that the gpu actually needs to be cooled the cooler will turn on. Unless your card is pushing past 80 at any point it's fine.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Why does everyone freak out about idle temps? They really never matter, strix cards don't turn their fan on for zero noise. Once it gets hot enough that the gpu actually needs to be cooled the cooler will turn on. Unless your card is pushing past 80 at any point it's fine.

This is my first STRIX card and although I knew about the idle fan speeds I wasn't expecting the temps to turn out the way they did. Plus with the worry about the loose PCB I wasn't sure if it was a hardware problem or not. No freaking out here :)

This is my first STRIX card and although I knew about the idle fan speeds I wasn't expecting the temps to turn out the way they did. Plus with the worry about the loose PCB I wasn't sure if it was a hardware problem or not. No freaking out here :)

It's not you any particular by freaking out, I had an argument with someone recently telling me that high end AIO's are garbage compared to custom loops. In reality the best  AIOs are only a few degrees behind custom loops, and what they act like 60c vs 54c really matters. Metal. It's metal. Metal does not care about 140 degrees F. lol. I know that was off subject but all cpus and gpus are designed to run 80c 24/7. The 290x reference card runs at 95c at load. It won't matter what card you have, as long as it stays under 80 it won't be degrading at all.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

It's not you any particular by freaking out, I had an argument with someone recently telling me that high end AIO's are garbage compared to custom loops. In reality the best  AIOs are only a few degrees behind custom loops, and what they act like 60c vs 54c really matters. Metal. It's metal. Metal does not care about 140 degrees F. lol. I know that was off subject but all cpus and gpus are designed to run 80c 24/7. The 290x reference card runs at 95c at load. It won't matter what card you have, as long as it stays under 80 it won't be degrading at all.

Haha man I didn't even think custom loops was mainly for temps anymore! I am pretty sure myself and a lot of others would configure a custom loop just because of how badass they are. But yea I completely agree with you.

Haha man I didn't even think custom loops was mainly for temps anymore! I am pretty sure myself and a lot of others would configure a custom loop just because of how badass they are. But yea I completely agree with you.

Really they are just for the looks. Some do look insane.

Really they are just for the looks. Some do look insane.

Reading this is disappointing... sorry you are wrong.

You should really do some reading before you post something like this.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Reading this is disappointing... sorry you are wrong.

You should really do some reading before you post something like this.

Na I am good. I have already heard the same thing from every major tech reviewer ever. The only people who disagree are people who run custom trying to trick themselves in believe there is a big performance gap, that is really at best and never matters. 

Na I am good. I have already heard the same thing from every major tech reviewer ever. The only people who disagree are people who run custom trying to trick themselves in believe there is a big performance gap, that is really at best and never matters. 

I see you know it all  ;). And next thing is you'll state the ASIC doesn't matter as well... there's a good reason why you should use custom loops for extreme OCing. That has nothing to do with tricking or BS this has to do with your Delta T and your tubing and system stability in a highend segment.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

It matters when you are OCing beyond safe limits. Like as I see in your sig 1.45v is not exactly healthy for a cpu and even if you do keep the temps down your cpu isn't going to last many years. With the temps I have, I could probably hit 1.4v without fear of overheating. The only time it makes ANY sense is for extreme OCing, other than that it's all looks. But not many people like to be risky like that with $600 processors.

Actually it's a combination of OC'ing while staying quiet plus awesome looks. :D

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Yeah on Ivy bridges/Haswell because cooling works significantly different there. On SB-e/HW-e etc there's easily a 30-40° difference between a custom loop and a 120mm AIO.

Yeah on Ivy bridges/Haswell because cooling works significantly different there. On SB-e/HW-e etc there's easily a 30-40° difference between a custom loop and a 120mm AIO.

So? lol 120mm BLOW. You are also talking about 50-70 dollar coolers. Those are completely crap against any high end air cooler. I am talking about coolers like h110's or Kraken x61's vs custom. It's not a big difference at all but in the most extreme dangerous overclocking scenarios. And even a cheap AIO will be a lot cheaper.

It matters when you are OCing beyond safe limits. Like as I see in your sig 1.45v is not exactly healthy for a cpu and even if you do keep the temps down your cpu isn't going to last many years. With the temps I have, I could probably hit 1.4v without fear of overheating. The only time it makes ANY sense is for extreme OCing, other than that it's all looks. But not many people like to be risky like that with $600 processors.

Well I guess this is always a matter of perspective, because I see this very different.

Your CPU is a 84W TDP and you can't compare that to an Haswell E. Sure my OC is pretty hard but be assured I like this CPU because it is a top of the line sample. But on the other hand I couldn't care less about. If I fry it... then I fry it and buy the next. A custom loop is very significant for such high OC's and a H110 is never qualified to withstand the torture because the pump and overall built quality is inferior to a big custom loop. The pump in an AIO is a joke against a D5 like my Swiftech MCP655 variable, that's the reason why my pump alone is more expensive than the whole H110 unit.

For this is clear, you can't jump around fire and expecting that you don't start to sweat. When you go into harder OCing and pushing with water as far as it gets you need to calculate within your budget that there's a possibility to kill hardware. A large custom loop helps you preventing this up to a certain degree but after that only compressor or LN2 is an option, but not very useful on a daily base.

It has to do with many factors down the road, but as an example take my GPU loop (yes I know I skipped it on the 980s because they're just place holders). I had my GTX780Ti 2way SLI on a 9x120mm rad with 4 180mm fans and large tank. The result was not only just a big ass external radiator but almost half a gallon fluid in the system. With the right flow and sufficient active fan cooling I managed with extreme OCs just to change my Delta T of 12 degrees Celsius from 22 to 34 and this in Unigine Valley loop after 2 hours. Show me one AIO that is capable of doing this... the only point that is really a big down side of a custom loop are the costs, and then as I said before it's always a matter of perspective, I consider myself as an enthusiast and my wallet is just big enough to support this hobby of mine :) .

That I write this here has nothing to with, that I want to play smart ass, it's just true. Of course in a scenario with a CPU like yours and just softer OCs there's no need at all for a custom water cooling, except for awesome looks of course.

Well I guess this is always a matter of perspective, because I see this very different.

Your CPU is a 84W TDP and you can't compare that to an Haswell E. Sure my OC is pretty hard but be assured I like this CPU because it is a top of the line sample. But on the other hand I couldn't care less about. If I fry it... then I fry it and buy the next. A custom loop is very significant for such high OC's and a H110 is never qualified to withstand the torture because the pump and overall built quality is inferior to a big custom loop. The pump in an AIO is a joke against a D5 like my Swiftech MCP655 variable, that's the reason why my pump alone is more expensive than the whole H110 unit.

For this is clear, you can't jump around fire and expecting that you don't start to sweat. When you go into harder OCing and pushing with water as far as it gets you need to calculate within your budget that there's a possibility to kill hardware. A large custom loop helps you preventing this up to a certain degree but after that only compressor or LN2 is an option, but not very useful on a daily base.

It has to do with many factors down the road, but as an example take my GPU loop (yes I know I skipped it on the 980s because they're just place holders). I had my GTX780Ti 2way SLI on a 9x120mm rad with 4 180mm fans and large tank. The result was not only just a big ass external radiator but almost half a gallon fluid in the system. With the right flow and sufficient active fan cooling I managed with extreme OCs just to change my Delta T of 12 degrees Celsius from 22 to 34 and this in Unigine Valley loop after 2 hours. Show me one AIO that is capable of doing this... the only point that is really a big down side of a custom loop are the costs, and then as I said before it's always a matter of perspective, I consider myself as an enthusiast and my wallet is just big enough to support this hobby of mine :) .

That I write this here has nothing to with, that I want to play smart ass, it's just true. Of course in a scenario with a CPU like yours and just softer OCs there's no need at all for a custom water cooling, except for awesome looks of course.

I can agree with this.

Clearly everyone has their own perspective on Watercooling, the way I see it. Watercooling is to be done by an enthusiast who loves working with computers and strives to get the very last bit of performance out of their components. A custom loop achieves this, is quiet, and looks very bad ass. Yea it probably isn't worth the money you are spending but a hobby isn't about getting what is worth the money, it is about doing it because you enjoy doing it and that alone is worth the money. My point is, yea building a custom loop in my in my opinion is not worth the performance gain but I would still build one anyway and would feel great about spending the money on it. :) To most people, a custom loop probably isn't as much of a performance gainer as just another thing they enjoy doing because they love working with computers. It makes no sense to argue about something like that. :)

Clearly everyone has their own perspective on Watercooling, the way I see it. Watercooling is to be done by an enthusiast who loves working with computers and strives to get the very last bit of performance out of their components. A custom loop achieves this, is quiet, and looks very bad ass. Yea it probably isn't worth the money you are spending but a hobby isn't about getting what is worth the money, it is about doing it because you enjoy doing it and that alone is worth the money. My point is, yea building a custom loop in my in my opinion is not worth the performance gain but I would still build one anyway and would feel great about spending the money on it. :) To most people, a custom loop probably isn't as much of a performance gainer as just another thing they enjoy doing because they love working with computers. It makes no sense to argue about something like that. :)

Well said!!!

CPU - i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz / 1.25v     Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Formula     RAM - 16GB (2x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz

GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix SLI (+150 Core / +500 Memory)     Case - Corsair 750D     Storage - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 2TB WD Black     PSU - Corsair AX1200i

Display - Asus VG278HE     Cooling - Corsair H100i     Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95     Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013     Sound - Onboard     OS - Windows 10 Pro x64

I can agree with this.

Can you please move this into the proper topic

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

Can you please move this into the proper topic

What do you mean? 

What do you mean?

Your debating on water cooling in the GPU topic area, maybe the water cooling area.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

Your debating on water cooling in the GPU topic area, maybe the water cooling area.

Well the thread itself is completely relevant to the topic it is posted in, whether or not conversation goes off topic within the post that is relevant to the topic doesn't really matter does it?