Need help choosing my first mechanical keyboard

Juscallmesteve

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard. I am looking for a good one with RGB back-lighting so I can change it to whatever I choose. I also would like to stay under $150(possibly a little more if necessary).

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard. I am looking for a good one with RGB back-lighting so I can change it to whatever I choose. I also would like to stay under $150(possibly a little more if necessary).

Check out the thread in my sig so we know what keyswitch you want. $150 allows for pretty much anything. Make sure to put lots of thought into the questions on the quiz in that thread.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Check out the thread in my sig so we know what keyswitch you want. $150 allows for pretty much anything. Make sure to put lots of thought into the questions on the quiz in that thread.

I took the quiz

Cherry MX Red

Soft and quiet. A Linear switch, meaning you get one direction of travel with no bump in the key press to feel when you've hit the switch. The best for gaming. Reds are very, very light to type on, meaning that you may make several typos while typing so these aren't recommended for general use and other basic typing tasks.

With that being said the last sentence in the description has me worried. I would rather it not be so light to type on.

I did more research on the MX REDs and I do think the quiz was accurate and I should go with those.

but Cherry MX Blacks or Brown might be a good option also. I dont really know how I feel about it until I get to use one or another

I did more research on the MX REDs and I do think the quiz was accurate and I should go with those.

but Cherry MX Blacks or Brown might be a good option also. I dont really know how I feel about it until I get to use one or another

Reds feel very light to type on and the reason that typing is not their best trait is because you can't feel when the switch has been actuated (unless you press it all the way down) and this can cause the heavy typist to make typos because they thought they pressed a key but didn't. Although these are great for gaming it is harder for most people to type on them. 

As for blacks or browns, blacks are basically the same but heavier and browns are roughly the same as reds but you feel the actuation point. If either of these sound better to you well, they probably are better for you. If you're heavy handed, the blacks are a bit easier to type on. If you're light handed then browns will be a joy to type on and they'l stay quiet as well. They're quite good for gaming as the actuation force required is only 45 grams which means that you can hit keys quite quickly.

But nonetheless, you said reds are about right so here's a few good keyboards with MX Reds.

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00AOIRCI6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419706602&sr=1-2&keywords=cherry+mx+red

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B007VDLVD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419706602&sr=1-1&keywords=cherry+mx+red

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit-CH-9000069-NA/dp/B00M5DUOBK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419706602&sr=1-3&keywords=cherry+mx+red

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Keyboard-CH-9000040-NA/dp/B00DOWCQ0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419706640&sr=1-1&keywords=cherry+mx+red+k65

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-keyboard-gkosmium

Note that some of those are tenkeyless and some are not. If you use the numpad then you do NOT want a tenkeyless keyboard.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What do you think about cherry mx blues?

You should use the "quote" button to get back to me. You're lucky that I managed to find my way back to this thread :)

Blues are heavier than both reds and browns (45g compared to 50g). Blues feel similar to browns, just a tad heavier and a LOT louder. If you like the click then the choices for you go either to blues or greens. Greens are quite heavy though. I use greens and most people don't even know how to type on my keyboard. I don't even feel like it's that heavy but people tell me that their fingers hurt after lots of use. I would guess that you'll like blues more, but you said you got reds on the quiz and you're probably not going to like blues that much if this is the case.