another windows 7 vs windows 8

shirokado

I cant get it through my head. How is windows 7 in anyway superior to windows 8? It loses in features and speed. Please somebody list me 5 features windows.7 had that doesn't include windows shell, caude that can be solved instantly

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Native start menu.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

sorry dude i support ya windows 8 is better and if there is stuff one does not like they can easily change that 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

People who complain about Windows 8 are doing it because they have nothing better to do. Rage on me all you want, but Windows 8 is better. Don't like the Start Screen or any of the Metro/Modern features? I don't need to tell you that you can bypass it completely for free.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Use whatever you want. You like W8? Use it. You like W7? Use it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Native start menu.

I said That doesn't include windows shell.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It's "new" and Windows 7 was considered a good Windows OS. It's how Microsoft seems to do thing.

Every other generation of Windows OS tends to suck. W8 falls into the sucky generation.

95 (good), 98 (bad), 2000 (good), Me (bad), XP (good), Vista (bad), 7 (good), 8 (bad).

I skipped NT 4.0 and it's other versions.

People don't like new things when what they have is good to them.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's "new" and Windows 7 was considered a good Windows OS. It's how Microsoft seems to do thing.

Every other generation of Windows OS tends to suck. W8 falls into the sucky generation.

95 (good), 98 (bad), 2000 (good), Me (bad), XP (good), Vista (bad), 7 (good), 8 (bad).

I skipped NT 4.0 and it's other versions.

People don't like new things when what they have is good to them.

well i want into computer to experience 95 98 2000 or ME. 

I do realize that XP was popular but was it that good? I never really understood it.

And vista, i never understood why people hated it. SP1 used CPU to make Aero so that was not very efficient, but Vista SP2 made sure the GPU creates the Aero Effect so i don't see how it was any different from windows 7? 

windows 7, was it any different from vista? 

Windows 8 its better then windows 7 in every way. Sure Classic Shell is gone, but who cares? And why do people care about mouse movment? just click the dam windows key... thats easier.

well i want into computer to experience 95 98 2000 or ME. 

I do realize that XP was popular but was it that good? I never really understood it.

And vista, i never understood why people hated it. SP1 used CPU to make Aero so that was not very efficient, but Vista SP2 made sure the GPU creates the Aero Effect so i don't see how it was any different from windows 7? 

windows 7, was it any different from vista? 

Windows 8 its better then windows 7 in every way. Sure Classic Shell is gone, but who cares? And why do people care about mouse movment? just click the dam windows key... thats easier.

XP was good at that time. It's not good compared to newer OS versions, obviously. Vista was only bad originally due to its poor performance and needing more powerful hardware, but that was fixed over time. Windows 7 was Vista, refined, so that was nice.

Windows 8, in my opinion, is very nice. It's Windows 7 refined, so it performs better. Yes, there's no Start menu, but you can get a third party one if you wish. And Metro isn't that bad anyway. That, and people don't understand Fitt's Law so... yeah.

I cant get it through my head. How is windows 7 in anyway superior to windows 8?

win8:

-hover over charms thingy

-click settings

-power

-shutdown

4 actions, one of which is a sustained wait

win7:

-click start

-click shutdown

That is a simple action that 99% of pc users do. The reason it's unacceptably convoluted in windows 8 is because it's an after-thought. Microsoft expects the pc to be a laptop where you'd shut the screen and hibernate, or a tablet with a lock button.

There's one way win7 is superior. In other areas win8 is.

I haven't had a detailed play with it yet, waiting til 8.1 before I get it.

win8:

-click settings

-power

-shutdown

win7:

-click start

-click shutdown

That is a simple action that 99% of pc users do. The reason it's unacceptably convoluted in windows 8 is because it's an after-thought. Microsoft expects the pc to be a laptop where you'd shut the screen and hibernate, or a tablet with a lock button.

people shut down their desktops? thats news to me.

people shut down their desktops? thats news to me.

Yes, the vast majority of people that own desktops shut them down.

Driver issues are HUGE, for example the driver of the Asus Xonar D2X on Windows8 causes my Func MS-3 not to be detected. Just the weirdest issues, until now it is not justifiable for a desktop IMHO. 

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Yes, the vast majority of people that own desktops shut them down.

i was under the impression that most people keep them on...

win8:

-click settings

-power

-shutdown

win7:

-click start

-click shutdown

Or... click on taskbar, press Alt+F4, press OK?

i was under the impression that most people keep them on...

I dont know a single person that leaves a luxury electornic device fully powered on doing nothing while they sleep.

Or... click on taskbar, press Alt+F4, press OK?

Where is the alt and f4 button on a mouse? This is an OS aimed at a wide range of users, many of whom do not even know where alt is on a keyboard.

Windows 8 overall is a better-performing OS.

Sure, the UI changes are ideal, but Windows remains so flexible and open that you can easily change things.

The one thing that frustrates me is the strict lockdown on programs and system stuff.  I know it's for security, but the random Access Denied messages and broken program functionality (when not run as administrrator) are really annoying.

But those minor things aren't enough for me to deliberately choose 7 over 8.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I dont know a single person that leaves a luxury electornic device fully powered on doing nothing while they sleep.

Where is the alt and f4 button on a mouse? This is an OS aimed at a wide range of users, many of whom do not even know where alt is on a keyboard.

Most people I know leave their computers on at night, actually...

And I suppose. But if they learn where it is, there's not much of a difference.

Windows 8 is better... People will hate a new Windows just because the background color changed.

These hate Windows x is the same story EVERY single version of Windows:

-> Windows NT 3 -> Nothing runs on it.

-> Windows 95 -> Start Menu and task bar is stupid. folders with icons is best. Too resource intensive for completely out dated computers.

-> Windows 98 -> No reason to upgrade (despite the long list of new features)

-> Windows NT 4.x -> Nothing runs on it.

-> Windows Me -> ok that one... was a mistake

-> Windows 2000 -> Nothing runs on it.

-> Windows XP -> Unstable, too system intensive, hard to use, hate the new Start Menu, old game/program don't work, account system is stupid for home users, and should be removed, multiple editions if confusing, driver issues, ugly, tool bar on folder is stupid (just put all the complaints of Windows 8 ribbon bar here, it's pretty much the same), and a lot more. It was hated

-> Windows Vista -> Aero is stupid ugly, can't run on my system that have trouble running XP in the first place so it sucks, interfaces should not be rendered by the GPU, but rather by the CPU like before, "new" Start Menu sucks, task bar sucks (despite being identical to previous version of Windows), UAC is stupid.. it's my computer, and everyone should be true administrator, etc... No new features, not worth upgrading (despite the very long list of new features and improvement)

-> Windows 7 -> old games and app don't work, Task Bar is a replica of MacOS, and it sucks (yes, that was a popular complaint, clearly unfounded and false), Aero need to go away, inconsistent (despite being the most consistent OS ever made by Microsoft), graphic designer nightmare, only has useless features, no reason to upgrade from XP, Windows 7 intentionally slows down your PC (riiiiiight), Windows Media Player sucks... 'cause it's Media Player (despite being the best version of Windows Media Player by such a long shot it's not even funny), Control Panel is a mess, and more...

And yet, the moment a new Windows comes outs, people say how the previous version of Windows was awesome.

Wait until Windows 9 comes out.. then we will say... WOW it sucks. Windows 8.x was sooo much better. In fact, BEST Windows EVAR!!!!

As for sales based on success, companies and most school, used to, and continue to upgrade their system on a 5-6 year life span. Not every 3 years. So Windows 9 will sell well, like Windows 7. Simple as that.

That is why Microsoft has picked Windows 8 to decide it would be a good time to implement this new interface.

~snip

This. People are always reluctant to change, and their fear causes them to hate it. When they do get used to it though, they'll just move on to hate something else. Vicious cycle.

Most people I know leave their computers on at night, actually...

And I suppose. But if they learn where it is, there's not much of a difference.

Is this a cultural phenomenon or something? I don't even see the point in leaving a pc on. Anyway we're getting off topic.

And the topic is largely pointless. If someone highlights any drawbacks or concerns about 8 they are labelled dinosaur / intellectually inferior. So why ask for examples/reasons of these?

Learning the keyboard commands is irrelevant. If people are frustrated by the user interface then it isa poor metaphor. It needs tweaking.

Btw I actually prefer the start screen concept to the start menu. Im not sure about other people but I reconise programs visually by their icons before reading the text.

Windows 8 is really nice and to be honest I haven't used the start menu since windows 2000! I am so use to shortcuts and application launchers that I find clicking the start menu a waste of time. 

Also I actually find the start screen just as useful as the start button, there is nothing that I have not been able to do with the start screen that I couldn't with the start button.   Plus I don't have to search for apps it's visable instantly after installing.

Also, windows 8 has kernel improvements which can not be backported to windows 7 and it also has better resource management and 8 makes 7 look like a fat pig of a resource hog... 

Windows 8 is better, honestly more people are complaining about aero glass missing over the start button.  The glass was nice but sebtle transparancy is far better and looks nicer IMHO.

I don't know if you need Windows 8 PRO, for all blu-ray and dvds you should be okay with PowerDVD or media player classic home cinama(this is what I use).  

VLC 2.X is broken in Windows but works just as good as MPLHC on Linux,  

You could just rip your blu-rays and store them on a fileserver.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I've been running Window 8 for a couple of weeks now and I have to say,it's quite nice. Once you install something like StartIsBack, all of the issues go away. StartIsBack can make it so you boot directly to desktop and barely ever see the Modern UI. My computer boots to the login screen in 15-30 seconds. Windows 7 can't even come close to that.

I don't know if you need Windows 8 PRO, for all blu-ray and dvds you should be okay with PowerDVD or media player classic home cinama(this is what I use).  

VLC 2.X is broken in Windows but works just as good as MPLHC on Linux,  

VLC is working fine for me. I also have the K-Lite codec pack installed.

Current Rig: Windows 8 Pro x64 ASUS M4A87TD-EVO board | AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition OC'd @ 3.81 Ghz | 16GB 1600 Mhz Kingston HyperX | Gigabyte Radeon 6870 1GB | Razer BlackWiddow | Logitech G500S OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

I've been running Window 8 for a couple of weeks now and I have to say,it's quite nice. Once you install something like StartIsBack, all of the issues go away. StartIsBack can make it so you boot directly to desktop and barely ever see the Modern UI. My computer boots to the login screen in 15-30 seconds. Windows 7 can't even come close to that.

VLC is working fine for me. I also have the K-Lite codec pack installed.

VLC will work fine regardless it just takes 5 minutes to load a dvd, windows media and media player classic are instant. 

Are you using an SSD? I can shut off and turn on my PC and I'll be at the login in 5 seconds.

Personally the wall start screen is better than the smaller condensed menu, but different strokes for different folkes.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress