Iiyama 28" 4k adaptive sync/freesync monitor launched (with free mail in upgrade)

A TN panel? How exciting. /s

Exactly how many IPS/VA panels are there that support G-Sync? I can't think of one off the top of my head, and a quick Google search reveals nothing either. TN panels are also often quite good - the days of every TN panel having massive colour shift when you move the viewing angle by 10° are long gone (if you spend more than ~100 bucks on the monitor).

Also, if you are concerned with colour reproduction make sure you have a sunlight lightbulb in your room and not a normal incandescent one (so that you have the same ambient light during the day and at night time). Can make a heck of a difference, especially if you calibrate the monitor during the day.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yea no thanks. I think I will just get G-Sync. At least I know that works out of the box now.

Hehe not with my card it won't

Hehe not with my card it won't

Anyhow shouldn't it be possible to upgrade any old monitor by changing the controller? Of course you'd need compatible firmware/hardware but that shouldn't keep people from trying.

Most monitors we all use today are FreeSync capable. All that is needed is a firmware update, which obviously won't happen for several reasons.

The fact that you need to ship it somewhere and whatnot to enable THE feature you are probably buying it for...  makes it worthless. By the time the upgrade is available - PROPER freesync monitors should be out.

I guess its for people who NEED 4k for work NOW. And they like to play games occasionally.

Oh and its a TN = garbage. People who keep buying TN are the reason why we dont have fast IPS yet.

Not to mention - we still havent seen freesync in action. If its even a little bit worse than gsync = its worthless. Dont need more ways to mitigate these problems, we had that for decades. Need SOLUTIONS. Gsync is a solution right now.

It seems  like it has full hardware support for adaptive sync (free sync is the AMD driver implementation, using Adaptive Sync hardware). However it also seems like the monitor requires a firmware update to actually utilize it at a later time. This requires the consumer to send it to Iiyama for the firmware update.

Their service offers a pick-up as well and also it's not just a Firmware upgrade, you're getting the actual AS hardware in there as well for free.

Also this monitor will support the upcoming AMD/VESA FREESYNC Technology and iiyama will offer a free of charge upgrade service to upgrade your iiyama 4k monitor to support VESA Adaptive Sync for no charge, you will just have to cover shipping charges.Iiyama will release details of this in the near future, but buy in confidence now as iiyama have the first FREESYNC supported monitor and its available now.

- Supports FREESYNC / Adaptive Sync (iiyama will offer a FREE upgrade to FREESYNC)

I haven't heard this brand Iiyama before so there are no guarantees it won't suck either.

They don't sell monitors in USA afaik, in Europe they're well known. Most local shops here in Belgium actually sell their monitors. Here's a review of one of their 1440p monitors with 0 ms on input lag; http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4971/iiyama-prolite-xb2779qs-review-affordable-wqhd-monitor

Two weeks later after the release, they offered a fix for the annoying noise the monitor was making through a firmware upgrade; http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/38060/iiyama-prolite-xb2779qs-review---update

Most monitors we all use today are FreeSync capable. All that is needed is a firmware update, which obviously won't happen for several reasons.

If it was just a firmware update, then every new monitor currently would have been sold as a Freesync monitor. It requires a different scaler/pcb.

If it was just a firmware update, then every new monitor currently would have been sold as a Freesync monitor. It requires a different scaler/pcb.

It's not that simple.

It's not that simple.

Of course not, but at the same time, people keep spouting "IT'S ONLY A FIRMWARE CHANGE!" when referring to adding Adaptive-Sync to a monitor. It's not. The industry had to design new scalers with Adaptive-Sync in mind. Mobile screens might be able to be updated via firmware because of the eDP standard, but unless there's something we're missing, most of the current monitors will in fact need a new scaler.

It shouldn't cost the monitor manufacturers much more to produce it then the old scalers, and should still be much cheaper than G-Sync, though.

Now with that in mind, that new scaler design may very well just become the "de facto" standard, regardless if Adaptive-Sync is used on the particular monitor or not. If that is the case, then any monitor after x date would be theoretically Adaptive-Sync compatible with just a firmware update. We just don't know what the industry plans to do long term.

x being some arbitrary date in the future when adaptive-sync monitors are actually ready for production (In theory, this date could have even happened already, though I doubt it, as we would have seen news on it).

So again, if there's something we're missing, feel free to add in.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Of course not, but at the same time, people keep spouting "IT'S ONLY A FIRMWARE CHANGE!" when referring to adding Adaptive-Sync to a monitor. It's not. The industry had to design new scalers with Adaptive-Sync in mind. Mobile screens might be able to be updated via firmware because of the eDP standard, but unless there's something we're missing, most of the current monitors will in fact need a new scaler.

It shouldn't cost the monitor manufacturers much more to produce it then the old scalers, and should still be much cheaper than G-Sync, though.

Now with that in mind, that new scaler design may very well just become the "de facto" standard, regardless if Adaptive-Sync is used on the particular monitor or not. If that is the case, then any monitor after x date would be theoretically Adaptive-Sync compatible with just a firmware update. We just don't know what the industry plans to do long term.

x being some arbitrary date in the future when adaptive-sync monitors are actually ready for production (In theory, this date could have even happened already, though I doubt it, as we would have seen news on it).

As all a monitor needs is updated scaler to support FreeSync (Display Port 1.2a). Current scalers work (vBlank) but run into bandwidth limitations.

FreeSync itself works at a driver level.

The P2314H per example should be fully FreeSync capable. Unfortunately we don't have the source code for FreeSync as it's not open source so there's not much we can do. This gives manufactures the ability to leverage new sales of monitors with the open standard. As all a monitor needs is updated firmware and to support Adaptive-Sync (DP 1.2a). Without either one of them you're not getting FreeSync. All the new scaler will do is add adaptive scaling which really isn't even needed.

I only wish we had FreeSync source code so we could start hacking up firmware to bake it in.

Can you elaborate on why "adapative scaling" isn't really needed?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"Muh color accuracy"

"Look how fucking perfect this blue is"

"IPS rules"

Don't be an elitist, IPS is only really necessary for professional content creation. And even then compression destroys all that hard work.

You are so right, people need to stop being such fan boys, just because Linus prefers IPS doesn't mean everyone has to start hating on TN panels.

Can you elaborate on why "adapative scaling" isn't really needed?

It's done at a hardware level already. My guess is its for when you run outside of the screens native resolution.

eDP isn't capable of variable refresh rate but they're capable of switching between different refresh rates but we're not interested in that, Adaptive Sync is which is a part of DP1.2A's spec that's not mandatory is capable of variable refresh rate. Not every monitor with DP1.2a will have Adaptive Sync

The P2314H per example should be fully FreeSync capable. Unfortunately we don't have the source code for FreeSync as it's not open source so there's not much we can do. This gives manufactures the ability to leverage new sales of monitors with the open standard. As all a monitor needs is updated firmware and to support Adaptive-Sync (DP 1.2a). Without either one of them you're not getting FreeSync. All the new scaler will do is add adaptive scaling which really isn't even needed.

I only wish we had FreeSync source code so we could start hacking up firmware to bake it in ourselves.

Adaptive sync is a spec of 1.2a which isn't mandatory and to get variable refresh rates working you need a new scaler as current scalers can't do it.

​Today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced collaborations with scaler vendors MStar, Novatek and Realtek to build scaler units ready with DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync and AMD’s Project FreeSync by year end.1

Under the technology partnerships, MStar, Novatek and Realtek each will develop a range of DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync-ready scalers to complement the new monitor product cycle in 1Q15.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/support-for-freesync-2014sep18.aspx

I'm not really sure where you're getting your information from. Every monitor with DP1.2a is capable of variable refresh rates when you change the scaler, that's the upgrade Iiyama is offering when the hardware is ready.

Adaptive sync is a spec of 1.2a which isn't mandatory and to get variable refresh rates working you need a new scaler as current scalers can't do it.

​Today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced collaborations with scaler vendors MStar, Novatek and Realtek to build scaler units ready with DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync and AMD’s Project FreeSync by year end.1

Under the technology partnerships, MStar, Novatek and Realtek each will develop a range of DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync-ready scalers to complement the new monitor product cycle in 1Q15.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/support-for-freesync-2014sep18.aspx

I'm not really sure where you're getting your information from. Every monitor with DP1.2a is capable of variable refresh rates when you change the scaler, that's the upgrade Iiyama is offering when the hardware is ready.

If you don't know what a scaler is or does then I would suggest stop assuming it controls the monitors refresh rate. ;)

If you don't know what a scaler is or does then I would suggest stop assuming it controls the monitors refresh rate. ;)

Haha can't believe you (who claims to be a game developer) saying this when a monitor manufacturer is clearly stating they will get the Freesync hardware upgrade literally for free. Even Nvidia said that current (READ: current) scalers weren't capable of variable refresh rate and AMD announcing that Realtek, Novatek etc starting to manufacture Adaptivesync capable scalers pretty much makes sense you won't get variabale refresh rate working on your 2012 DP1.2a monitor.

Monitors equipped with such DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync-aware scalers will allow contemporary AMD Radeon™ graphics cards to synchronize display refresh rates and GPU framerates via Project FreeSync to enable tearing and stutter-free gaming along with low input latency.

It's not that simple.

Why not? A firmware update is always simple. You're not going to release a firmware that has Adaptive Sync support for a monitor that doesn't even have the hardware built in.

Haha can't believe you (who claims to be a game developer) saying this when a monitor manufacturer is clearly stating they will get the Freesync hardware upgrade literally for free. Even Nvidia said that current (READ: current) scalers weren't capable of variable refresh rate and AMD announcing that Realtek, Novatek etc starting to manufacture Adaptivesync capable scalers pretty much makes sense you won't get variabale refresh rate working on your 2012 DP1.2a monitor.

You don't even need a scaler within a display as it's done at a hardware level. The only reason for updating what may be inside the displays is for adaptive scaling. From what I'm told current scalers have a bandwidth issue that doesn't fit within spec of the FreeSync standard. The last thing a major player in the business would want to do is launch a product that has performance issues when running outside of native resolutions.

Why not? A firmware update is always simple. You're not going to release a firmware that has Adaptive Sync support for a monitor that doesn't even have the hardware built in.

Without source code for FreeSync I nor anyone else cannot do anything about it.

Without source code for FreeSync I nor anyone else cannot do anything about it.

Freesync is just AMD's Driver implentation supporting the Adaptive Sync technology. The Firmware update for your monitor is NOT related to AMD's Driver, it's there to support the actual technology being in this case Adaptive Sync.

You don't even need a scaler within a display as it's done at a hardware level.

I'll post it again;

Monitors equipped with such DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync-aware scalers will allow contemporary AMD Radeon™ graphics cards to synchronize display refresh rates and GPU framerates via Project FreeSync to enable tearing and stutter-free gaming along with low input latency.

Feel free to prove AMD wrong.

Freesync is just AMD's Driver implentation supporting the Adaptive Sync technology. The Firmware update for your monitor is NOT related to AMD's Driver, it's there to support the actual technology being in this case Adaptive Sync.

FreeSync is an open standard. It works in conjunction with the Display Port 1.2a Adaptive-Sync technology. Which allows the monitor to alter its refresh rates on the fly. The firmware update to the monitor is only for adding support for Adaptive-Sync. As FreeSync works as a one way street between the GPU and the display (not to confuse with how G-Sync works). FreeSync itself is baked into the device driver for the GPU. The GPU has been capable of handling most of this stuff for a very long time. Tho per usual it doesn't work without driver implementation (hardware is brainless without drivers).

I'll post it again;

Monitors equipped with such DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync-aware scalers will allow contemporary AMD Radeon™ graphics cards to synchronize display refresh rates and GPU framerates via Project FreeSync to enable tearing and stutter-free gaming along with low input latency.

Feel free to prove AMD wrong.

This is only saying the same thing that I have been posting for the past few posts now. I was actually viewing the same source right before I quoted your last post. Both AMD and I clearly understand what's going on but I am not sure where you're conflicted. Maybe this will help you understand (official documentation) this is what is required for FreeSync to work.

DbdkSCo.png

FreeSync is an open standard. 

Sorry no, Adaptive-Sync is the open standard and you're basically saying Freesync = Adaptive Sync. According to AMD;

Project FreeSync is an AMD effort to leverage industry standards, like DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, to deliver dynamic refresh rates. Dynamic refresh rates synchronize the refresh rate of a compatible monitor to the framerate of a user’s AMD Radeon™ graphics to maximally reduce input latency and reduce or fully eliminate stuttering/juddering/tearing during gaming and video playback.​

Clearly saying FreeSync is AMD's implentation to support an industry standard like Adaptive-Sync which means their drivers and the GPU itself needs to support it. 7970's orsomething, I dont know which ones exactly don't have support for AS. http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/212

The firmware update to the monitor is only for adding support for Adaptive-Sync. 

That's not what you have been saying;

DSWhhFY.png

If you're refering to the source code for FreeSync you are referring to AMD's drivers which has nothing to do with the firmware. And you were earlier refering to Freesync and not Adaptive Sync;

VJ7os6L.png

FreeSync itself is baked into the device driver for the GPU. 

An industry standard that's baked into the GPU drivers, sounds logical to me.

Sorry no, Adaptive-Sync is the open standard and you're basically saying Freesync = Adaptive Sync. According to AMD;

Project FreeSync is an AMD effort to leverage industry standards, like DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, to deliver dynamic refresh rates. Dynamic refresh rates synchronize the refresh rate of a compatible monitor to the framerate of a user’s AMD Radeon™ graphics to maximally reduce input latency and reduce or fully eliminate stuttering/juddering/tearing during gaming and video playback.​

Clearly saying FreeSync is AMD's implentation to support an industry standard like Adaptive-Sync which means their drivers and the GPU itself needs to support it. 7970's orsomething, I dont know which ones exactly don't have support for AS. http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/212

That's not what you have been saying;

If you're refering to the source code for FreeSync you are referring to AMD's drivers which has nothing to do with the firmware. And you were earlier refering to Freesync and not Adaptive Sync;

An industry standard that's baked into the GPU drivers, sounds logical to me.

FreeSync is an open standard that leverages an industry standard otherwise manufactures wouldn't be able to leverage it at zero cost.

1416475443498526s0j7p.jpg

FreeSync is an open standard that leverages an industry standard otherwise manufactures wouldn't be able to leverage it at zero cost.

1416475443498526s0j7p.jpg

I'm really not sure what you think this proves.

Nowhere on that slide does it say that only a firmware update is required.

Also, nowhere on that slide does it say that the scaler does not require upgrading.

I'm really not sure what you think this proves.

Nowhere on that slide does it say that only a firmware update is required.

Also, nowhere on that slide does it say that the scaler does not require upgrading.

Firmware Update = Add Adaptive-Sync and FreeSync support.

Scaler Update = Updated to relive bandwidth limitations and add adaptive scaling.

Not rocket science. Tho Faa thinks it is  :lol:

that girl on the screen is hot...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Is it just me, or has the "Free Freesync upgrade for Free" promise been removed from the Overclockers shop page?