Iiyama 28" 4k adaptive sync/freesync monitor launched (with free mail in upgrade)

Over at Overclockers.co.uk, the Iiyama ProLite B2888UHSU-B1 has now been launched with Adaptive Sync/freesync support.

The monitor is a 28" 4k monitor with a TN panel, does not have native support however, but will come with a free upgrade, where you mail in your monitor for a hardware or firmware upgrade, for full Adaptive Sync support, which is the VESA DisplayPort hardware standard for synced fps, used in AMD's Freesync software, similar to Nvidia's proprietary G-sync solution.

Price? £389.99 inc VAT. This is marginally more than a standard 28" TN 4k monitor.

MO-119-IY_90502_350.jpg

Specifications:

- Supports FREESYNC / Adaptive Sync (iiyama will offer a FREE upgrade to FREESYNC)
- Display Screen Size: 28" (70.8cm)
- Resolution: 3840x2160
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Panel Type: TN
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000
- Resolution: 3840x2160 (Only over DisplayPort at 60Hz)
- Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
- Viewing Angle (H / V ): 170 ° / 160 °
- Connectivity: 2x HDMI (30Hz), 2x DisplayPort (60Hz), 1x DVI, 1x Analogue
- USB Hub: Yes
- Speakers: Yes
- PIP, POP
- Height adjust stand
- Blue light reducer
- Flicker Free Technology
- Reduced input lag (1 Chip Solution)
- Warranty: 3yr

Monitor is in stock and available for purchase in the UK, right now:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-119-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120

My personal opinion:

Wohoo, can I get a woop woop!? Now gimme a cheaper 34"3440x1440 curved monitor with this tech.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Does it actually have Free Sync out of the box though because if it doesn't what is the point.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Does it actually have Free Sync out of the box though because if it doesn't what is the point.

It seems  like it has full hardware support for adaptive sync (free sync is the AMD driver implementation, using Adaptive Sync hardware). However it also seems like the monitor requires a firmware update to actually utilize it at a later time. This requires the consumer to send it to Iiyama for the firmware update.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

pretty good price for a free upgrade

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It seems  like it has full hardware support for adaptive sync (free sync is the AMD driver implementation, using Adaptive Sync hardware). However it also seems like the monitor requires a firmware update to actually utilize it at a later time. This requires the consumer to send it to Iiyama for the firmware update.

Yea no thanks. I think I will just get G-Sync. At least I know that works out of the box now.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

A TN panel? How exciting. /s

"Muh color accuracy"

"Look how fucking perfect this blue is"

"IPS rules"

Don't be an elitist, IPS is only really necessary for professional content creation. And even then compression destroys all that hard work.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

iiyama will offer a free of charge upgrade service to upgrade your iiyama 4k monitor to support VESA Adaptive Sync for no charge, you will just have to cover shipping charges.

No thanks, I'll just wait until they ship one already supporting it.  And also who is iiyama?  I have never heard of them before.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"Muh color accuracy"

"IPS rules"

Don't be an elitist, IPS is only really necessary for professional content creation. And even then compression destroys all that hard work.

Nah IPS is necessary unless you like colour banding, shit blacks and whites and colour shift. Personally I don't like any of those things but if you do then more power to you.

Nah IPS is necessary unless you like colour banding, shit blacks and whites and colour shift. Personally I don't like any of those things but if you do then more power to you.

Color banding happens on any type of display, shit blacks and whites can also happen on any display. Every display has shit blacks compared to amoled. And TN panels really don't have issues with color shift anymore, just watch Linus' Benq XL2420G or whatever it is review.

Seriously, IPS isn't necessary if you aren't a professional content creator.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I'm more than happy with my old BenQ TN panel, I paid a fair amount for it many years ago and I am still happy with it's performance today.    I think for majority of gamers and enthusiasts, the quality/features of a product trumps the technology used 9 times out of 10.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Color banding happens on any type of display, shit blacks and whites can also happen on any display. Every display has shit blacks compared to amoled. And TN panels really don't have issues with color shift anymore, just watch Linus' Benq XL2420G or whatever it is review.

Seriously, IPS isn't necessary if you aren't a professional content creator.

Guess everyone who games on an IPS display is a moron then.

Guess everyone who games on an IPS display is a moron then.

No, it means they spent money on something that wasn't really necessary. If you have the money and you want to spend it, then good on you, that's your choice.

But what you're saying is that all non-IPS panels are terrible and should die, and that's just uninformed.

-snip-

IPS is really nice. I have one and I love the crap out of it however there is no 4K IPS G-Sync monitor and we probably won't be getting one for ages so there is nothing wrong with this monitor. Other then it doesn't actually have Free Sync out of the box.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I'm super skeptical of the free upgrade. Things like that don't always go as planned.

A 4k monitor for only $600 USD?

d16.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

A 4k monitor for only $600 USD?

That's actually significantly more expensive than 28" 4K in Aus.  and we usually have to suffer the "fuck you Australia tax".

I can get a Samsung or AOC 28" 4K for about $250 cheaper.

That's actually significantly more expensive than 28" 4K in Aus.  and we usually have to suffer the "fuck you Australia tax".

I can get a Samsung or AOC 28" 4K for about $250 cheaper.

........I wonder what the shipping would be like from there to the east coast of the US.

........I wonder what the shipping would be like from there to the east coast of the US.

at least $50, you'd be better of just buying a G-sync by the time you factored in all shipping and the messing around.

Surely you can get a 28" 4K for under $600 over there?

at least $50, you'd be better of just buying a G-sync by the time you factored in all shipping and the messing around.

Surely you can get a 28" 4K for under $600 over there?

Not that I've ever seen. Still, $600 is a hell of a lot of money for me right now. I'm hoping/praying for the day that they drop down to below $400

I stand corrected. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600338147&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

But judging by the reviews, they all suck.

Not that I've ever seen. Still, $600 is a hell of a lot of money for me right now. I'm hoping/praying for the day that they drop down to below $400

I stand corrected. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600338147&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

But judging by the reviews, they all suck.

I haven't heard this brand Iiyama before so there are no guarantees it won't suck either.

Yea no thanks. I think I will just get G-Sync. At least I know that works out of the box now.

Or just wait a tad bit longer so that this (and others) monitor comes with Adaptive Sync out of the box. This is obviously just because they want to launch the monitor now, but they also want it to have Adaptive Sync, so they compromise (and beeing able to mark it as Adaptive Sync support will draw extra attention too it)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Still waiting for that screen with IPS color and viewing angles with TNs speed. 1440p with gsync or free sync (or both) and ill pay just about anything for it. 

TN? BOOOO!

Still waiting on a quality 4K IPS display with adaptive sync. I love me some accurate color reproduction. 

"Muh color accuracy"

"IPS rules"

I have both an IPS 1440p monitor and a TN 4K monitor, and yes the IPS does offer better color accuracy, but the 4K TN is definitely not a slouch.

It's unfortunate that users jump to conclusions based solely on specifications (panel type in this case) because they might be missing out on something terrific. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ