BIOS not responding to input

Mattophobia

This is a followup from this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27644-my-build-wont-work-and-i-cant-figure-out-why/

After I got the computer to start working I was finally able to see the Motherboard BIOS. It however will not accept any input. I have tried various Keyboards and Mice, some USB and some PS/2. None of them work. I have reset the BIOS to default as well as tried the keyboards in every possible port.

The board is a Gigabyte X79S-UD5-WiFi.

Any tips or help would be appreciated!

- Matt 

UPDATE: I got the motherboard replaced. Ive still got the exact same issue.

Hmm, maybe that portion of your MoBo is dead? I've never seen that happen, only with LAN and VGA, but not peripherals/USB.

This is the type of thing you either email Gigabyte about and possibly get an RMA for. Not sure how to help. Good luck.

Google produces no similar results to your problem.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Heya,

hmm, that's really strange even with PS/2 keyboard  :wacko:

You could try taking the battery out on the motherboard (with the PSU unplugged). Then put it back in after 5-10 seconds. 

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Heya,

hmm, that's really strange even with PS/2 keyboard  :wacko:

You could try taking the battery out on the motherboard (with the PSU unplugged). Then put it back in after 5-10 seconds. 

Elven

Tried that, did nothing. :/

hmmm and you've tried resetting the cmos? could try reinstalling bios with the latest from gigabyte website.

If that don't work, if your warranty from the retailer is still valid. give em a call and see if they can replace it

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

hmmm and you've tried resetting the cmos? could try reinstalling bios with the latest from gigabyte website.

If that don't work, if your warranty from the retailer is still valid. give em a call and see if they can replace it

Elven

I have indeed!

I can't reinstall the BIOS as I simply can't input into the BIOS, so I can't trigger the update.

I shall!

This probably isn't the case but did the keyboards you try have N-Key Rollover switched on? Some motherboards don't like it on like the Ducky for instance

have you tried replacing the battery, have you tried all the usb ports for the keyboards? if all else fails email Gigbyte and they should help out.

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

This probably isn't the case but did the keyboards you try have N-Key Rollover switched on? Some motherboards don't like it on like the Ducky for instance

Nope! 

have you tried replacing the battery, have you tried all the usb ports for the keyboards? if all else fails email Gigbyte and they should help out.

I have indeed to both of those. I have emailed Gigabyte (They don't seem to helpful).