Getting HD 598, need amp, yes/no?

BirdyTheMighty

so yeah i decided to get the HD 598s($245 -_-) tomorrow going to grandmas on Christmass it would be nice to get a headphone to listen to music , as i wanted to try a mid range headphones to see what it sounds like over my main stream HD 419s. 

Kinda know nothing in this department but i do appreciate good sound.

HD 598( i like my Sennheiser, passed down from my dad which he only has Sennheiser he also likes Bose audio  :P)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1525&products_id=17434

back to the question do i really need a amp cant get a sound card cause using ITX, will be bringing laptop to grandmas house instead though for obvious reason 

lives on

BAKABT

what is your motherboard

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

edit the post a bit

upgraded to Asus Z97i plus

you definitely don't need an amp; you should be good to go :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

you definitely don't need an amp; you should be good to go :)

nice so no audio degrade or anything 

lives on

BAKABT

Amp doesn't improve audio quality. It just increases the audio level and makes what you are listening to louder. You'll only need an amp if you notice that the headphones are too quiet at max volume when plugged into the mobo. Otherwise, for clearer audio get a dac.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

yep, it'll sound perfect :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

so yeah i decided to get the HD 598s($245 -_-

Where are you getting them ? they are only 160 on amazon

On top of the 598's sounding identical to the 558, which sound pretty close to the 518's, so you can pick how much money you feel like hating. 

On top of the 598's sounding identical to the 558, which sound pretty close to the 518's, so you can pick how much money you feel like hating. 

This thread topic seems strangely familiar.

This thread topic seems strangely familiar.

Almost as if OP never searches the forum for related posts before making his post. 

Amp doesn't improve audio quality. It just increases the audio level and makes what you are listening to louder. You'll only need an amp if you notice that the headphones are too quiet at max volume when plugged into the mobo. Otherwise, for clearer audio get a dac.

A good amp does improve audio quality if it replaces a shitty amp or onboard device.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

A good amp does improve audio quality if it replaces a shitty amp or onboard device.

I see you have studied the headfi too. 

Can be true if onboard is clipping or unable to drive the headphone to satisfying levels.

Can be true if onboard is clipping or unable to drive the headphone to satisfying levels.

Not really quality, though.

That is a electrical deficiency. if everything is working as it should, paying more for it to work like it should seems dumb to me. Or maybe I have the wrong mindset on the matter.  

Not really quality, though.

Clipping vs no clipping is a quality improvement in my eyes/ears. But I agree that generally an amp only increases loudness.

I don't need headfi to make me believe in that statement. It's just common sense. Cheap - and some expensive - devices can come with noise, clipping at high volumes or just not being neutral (intentionally or not). And you definitely don't need to drop a ton of money to get a decent amp.

Clipping vs no clipping is a quality improvement in my eyes/ears. But I agree that generally an amp only increases loudness.

That's the only thing an amp SHOULD do. However, some of them do a lot more than that, and that's when it becomes detrimental to quality.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

And a chick magnet. Chicks dig $5000 up amps....

Australia aint cheap cause of tax or something so we get like a ~+50% price boost

lives on

BAKABT

Australia aint cheap cause of tax or something so we get like a ~+50% price boost

Just read the price you got. Check how much is Hifiman HE-400 delivered to your door. It's $249 bundled with a headphone case, on head-direct.com.

IMO, HE-400 is miles better than HD598, but there's a bigger chance you'd need an amp with HE-400 though (may not need one, depending on your existing system)

the HE-400 seems to be out of my budget, but i bought the HD 598s anyway, thanks 

lives on

BAKABT

the HE-400 seems to be out of my budget, but i bought the HD 598s anyway, thanks 

The base price is only $4 difference than the $245 HD598. Perhaps it's the shipping and custom that's quite costly.

The base price is only $4 difference than the $245 HD598. Perhaps it's the shipping and custom that's quite costly.

yeah shipping cost heaps  

lives on

BAKABT

Amp doesn't improve audio quality. 

No but it can suit your headphones better than onboard does. My Bowers&Wilkins P7's are 22ohms. The op-amp output is also 22ohm. That's a really shitty impedance match, meaning the electrical dampening will be bad (bass) and ultimate volume.