Which is the quietest GTX 970?

TheSven

The Windforce if you want it to be as silent as possible under heavy load

The Strix if you want it silent under low load like movie watching but louder at heavier loads.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Since when are windforce cooler the quietest?

i don,t know where they've took that idea either...the windforce cooler is the loudest of them all and it always has been...tripple fan design are louder they always are because 3 small fans will always be louder than 2 bigger fans, it's logical.

OP the quietest cards amongst those mentionned are the Asus Strix and the MSI gaming card, both are about the same in the noise department.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

noise [dba] under load:

z3QSX3k.png

It's odd that site reports it so much higher than Tomshardware

7bacd40d83.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-15.html

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

noise [dba] under load:

z3QSX3k.png

Can confirm, my MSI 4g 970 is silent under normal gaming load. My HD Blue is louder for comparison.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

MrSuperb, on 22 Dec 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Since when are windforce cooler the quietest?

People are basically obsessed over the Windforce right now and basically believe it to be the best choice in every situation due to the good reviews it get and it's looks. It was the same for the Strix card when it was first released.

Can confirm, my MSI 4g 970 is silent under normal gaming load. My HD Blue is louder for comparison.

haha i have the same problem my freaking hard drive is the loudest shit in my computer right now and it pisses me off.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

People are basically obsessed over the Windforce right now and basically believe it to be the best choice in every situation due to the good reviews it get and it's looks. It was the same for the Strix card when it was first released.

oh the windforce is a nice cooler it does keep the card cool and it cool the vrm and memory chips so its perfect for high overclocks and the gaming G1 card is indeed a binned chip on a very high end board and it's nice but it's FAR from quiet.

I owned a windforce HD7950 and it was the loudest card i've owned over the years...3 small fans spins faster and make an higher pitch noise that is more noticeable and it's just noisier than 2 bigger fans it just can't be any other way around it it's physics.

i_build_nanosuits, on 22 Dec 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

oh the windforce is a nice cooler it does keep the card cool and it cool the vrm and memory chips so its perfect for high overclocks and the gaming G1 card is indeed a binned chip on a very high end board and it's nice but it's FAR from quiet.

I owned a windforce HD7950 and it was the loudest card i've owned over the years...3 small fans spins faster and make an higher pitch noise that is more noticeable and it's just noisier than 2 bigger fans it just can't be any other way around it it's physics.

I don't know why anyone would think adding a 3rd fan would be more quiet than others (Personally I prefer EVGA cards though those aren't quiet either) but it's mostly the hype train taking over at this point.

I don't know why anyone would think adding a 3rd fan would be more quiet than others (Personally I prefer EVGA cards though those aren't quiet either) but it's mostly the hype train taking over at this point.

i have consulted a lot of reviews on these cards to instruct myself on the quality of the strix cooler and all of them ranked the strix and the msi twinfrozr 5 as being the quietest cards of the bunch due to better fan quality and overall better design.

Also both have 0Db mode where the fan shuts off when the card is not under heavy loads.

I've got an Asus GTX980 STRIX. Freaking awesome when you tweak the fan profile a bit the card stays super quiet. I think the GTX970 will perform the same way :) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

haha i have the same problem my freaking hard drive is the loudest shit in my computer right now and it pisses me off.

I'm going to be switching to all SSD's soon :)

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

I'm going to be switching to all SSD's soon :)

i have 3 ssd's but none of them are big enough that i would not need the HDD anymore...i recently bought a 240GB for 89$ ...but i would need at least a 500gb to be able to get rid of the HDD... :(

i have 3 ssd's but none of them are big enough that i would not need the HDD anymore...i recently bought a 240GB for 89$ ...but i would need at least a 500gb to be able to get rid of the HDD... :(

That's what I'm going to do, get a 500GB SSD alongside a 256GB SSD, and possibly my 1TB WD Blue if space is critical. 

The Grey Squirrel