Reddax
Go to solution Solved by Octavialicious,

• CPU  4670k Intel
  • Motherboard  GA-Z87X-UD3H
  • RAM  4x 4GB  - G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
  • GPU  Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Ti Phantom 2GB Graphics Card
  • Case  Antec DF-85 Dark Fleet Full Tower Case
  • Storage  Samsung 440 EVO 260GB + Samsung 2TB HDD
  • PSU  Antec EarthWatts EA 750 Power Supply Unit (UK)
  • Cpu Cooler  Hyper 212 EVO.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yL2kRB

Checking if the psu will fit in the case, one second

btw if you're wondering why I switched the CPU cooler it's because the hyper evo is too big :/

edit: The GPU and PSU will fit and so will the Noctua cooler :) You should be good to go! 

edit 2: All Mini-ITX mobos only have two ram slots, so you will have to get rid of some of your ram. If you still want 16 GB, you can fit a 8GB x 2 Kit in your budget :D

I'm moving out next year for student accommodation so i'm wanting to take a gaming rig with me there - I currently have a 660ti and 4670k processor in my desktop pc. But i think i'd rather buy and take a laptop with me instead,

I've been looking at this; http://www.cclonline.com/product/149554/P15F-V2-CF1/Laptops/Gigabyte-P15F-V2-CF1-15-6-Windows-8-1-i7-4710MQ/1TB/8GB-DDR3L/GTX-850M-/NOT00193/

with my budget around the £800 or £900 mark. Been trying to find reviews and benchmarks for the above laptop but unable to find them.

Help would be appreciated-

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

imo you should spend the money on buying a super small case + upgrading your GPU, but that's just me :3

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

imo you should spend the money on buying a super small case + upgrading your GPU, but that's just me :3

I guess i could - But i'd be coming home on weekends and wouldn't really want to be carrying a desktop back and fourth - it'd be easier with a laptop really.

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

+1 Desktops all the way.

Sig under construction.

I guess i could - But i'd be coming home on weekends and wouldn't really want to be carrying a desktop back and fourth - it'd be easier with a laptop really.

Just build a mini-ITX system.

Sig under construction.

Just build a mini-ITX system.

^ would kick butt and wouldn't be too difficult to carry. If you'd like, I'll send you a pcpartpicker of the parts you would want to get for Mini-ITX if you send me your full spec list :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Location?  Where I am there are much better laptops for that price point.

Unless of course you want to get itx (would be better)

^ would kick butt and wouldn't be too difficult to carry. If you'd like, I'll send you a pcpartpicker of the parts you would want to get for Mini-ITX if you send me your full spec list :)

• CPU  4670k Intel

• CPU  4670k Intel

btw if you're wondering why I switched the CPU cooler it's because the hyper evo is too big :/

edit: The GPU and PSU will fit and so will the Noctua cooler :) You should be good to go! 

edit 2: All Mini-ITX mobos only have two ram slots, so you will have to get rid of some of your ram. If you still want 16 GB, you can fit a 8GB x 2 Kit in your budget :D

edit 2: All Mini-ITX mobos only have two dims, so you will have to get rid of some of your ram. If you still want 16 GB, you can fit a 8GB x 2 Kit in your budget :D

A small form-factor desktop would give you better overall performance and upgradability, yes. But the ease of use and mobility is still better on a laptop. Remember, unless you have a set of both in the location you are going to, you still need to be lugging around a monitor, keyboard, mouse, the cables, etc. around as well. Then you need to set it up when you want to used it, and then take it down when you leave. On a laptop, you just need to close a lid and grab the power cable.

If you are going home frequently on the weekends, I would say a laptop would be more suited for your needs. On the other hand, there's an option to get a lesser performing laptop that can handle your needs on the go and a more powerful, stationary desktop for your more demanding needs.