Do i need really 8GB or 16 GB of RAM?

ignito

I know this has been a common question with many answers, and Linus stated in his "Holiday Buyer's Guide 2014" for the "Game Now" build with 16GB of RAM that "if you're a tab fiend like him, you might enjoy the extra breathing room" but that still left me wondering whether its completely necessary.

When i use my computer i have a tendency to start opening a lot of tabs on my browser, many of which with YouTube videos open. Sometimes ill have up to 6+ YouTube tabs open, as well as multiple tabs for either social media, or other sites i visit in different windows. I don't like closing the browser/restarting my pc because its a hassle to reopen all the tabs and get back to where i was in some videos, but i feel like my performance suffers because of that.

Now to get on to my actual question; Would 8GB of RAM still be sufficient enough to play more intensive games, even with all those open in the background, or would i benefit from 16GB of RAM? Besides gaming and the things i do on my browser (YouTube, social media, etc.), i dont do any tasks which would heavily benefit from more RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

people who use chrome for webbrowsing need a lot of RAM...i use firefox and i can keep as many tab opened as i want and i game and never run out of RAM...i have 8GB.

BUT i plan an upgrade to 16GB soon because i've seen some games now (COD AW and dragon age) use up to almost 7GB on their own so i fear i might actualy need 16GB for future games soon or later.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I know this has been a common question with many answers, and Linus stated in his "Holiday Buyer's Guide 2014" for the "Game Now" build with 16GB of RAM that "if you're a tab fiend like him, you might enjoy the extra breathing room" but that still left me wondering whether its completely necessary.

When i use my computer i have a tendency to start opening a lot of tabs on my browser, many of which with YouTube videos open. Sometimes ill have up to 6+ YouTube tabs open, as well as multiple tabs for either social media, or other sites i visit in different windows. I don't like closing the browser/restarting my pc because its a hassle to reopen all the tabs and get back to where i was in some videos, but i feel like my performance suffers because of that.

Now to get on to my actual question; Would 8GB of RAM still be sufficient enough to play more intensive games, even with all those open in the background, or would i benefit from 16GB of RAM? Besides gaming and the things i do on my browser (YouTube, social media, etc.), i dont do any tasks which would heavily benefit from more RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8GB still has most people covered at the moment. However, I'm usually already running at close to maximum usage of the 8GB's and I'm the very opposite of a tab fiend. Usually, GChrome, Skype, Itunes and a Game are open. GChrome itself is pretty RAM hungry. Right now I have only 2 LTT tabs open (nothing else) and I'm at 3.71 GB usage.

To summarize, you can get just 8 gigs and be just fine but this might soon change especially if you're still some what of a multi-tasker so getting another 8 gigs down the road is recommended.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I'm hitting about 14 GB when playing Far Cry 4 and running you tube on my second display (Note my paging file if turned off). So In your use case you may benefit from 16GB but if you leave your paging file on you'll be fine with 8GB.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

I think it is a good idea to move to 16 GB. Games start using a lot more RAM, and 8 GB wont quite cut it anymore in the near future. Especially if you are running several background programs or use a lot of tabs in a browser.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Alright thanks, i think i will opt for 16GB for future proofness

8GB is more than enough.  The people who are running into problems with RAM usage are people who use Chrome.  Switch to Firefox, and you can save $60+.

I will have all of these applications running, and have never exceeded 6.4GB of RAM.

ArcheAge(an MMO minimized) + BF4/Hearthstone/Bioshock/LoL + Firefox + Netflix/Movie from HDD + Teamspeak/Ventrillo/Skype + HWiNFO + MSI Afterburner + GPU-Z + RTSS/FRAPS + iTunes + Steam + Origin + Overwolf

I'm not crazy and have all of this going on at once, but it is open and minimized, so when I need to access it, it pops up instantly. If you use Chrome, switch to Firefox.  Its that simple.  I'm sure you can make better use of that $60 elsewhere.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

8GB doesn't seem like enough for me for just Spotify, Firefox + 8 tabs open and opened MMO games (DMO, AA, Wow or SWTOR—one opened at a time of course). I'm running 78-85% most of the time lately. I honestly would suggest 16GB of RAM to people from personal experiences, and plan to expand my RAM as quickly.

16GB is especially useful if you plan on doing graphics work or have lots of applications open.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yep 8GB should cover most if not all games today and is still enough to disable your page file unless your a huge multitasker like I am.

8GB doesn't seem like enough for me for just Spotify, Firefox + 8 tabs open and opened MMO games (DMO, AA, Wow or SWTOR—one opened at a time of course). I'm running 78-85% most of the time lately. I honestly would suggest 16GB of RAM to people from personal experiences, and plan to expand my RAM as quickly.

16GB is especially useful if you plan on doing graphics work or have lots of applications open.

Check your usage rather than say "doesn't seem like enough."  I'm doing more than that, and only using 6.4GB

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Check your usage rather than say "doesn't seem like enough."  I'm doing more than that, and only using 6.4GB

I did say 78-85%, didn't I?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I did say 78-85%, didn't I?

Oh wow, brain fart.  I'm listening to that Podcast Serial and having a hard time concentrating on both, maybe I need more RAM.  Or sleep.  Ya, sleep.

people who use chrome for webbrowsing need a lot of RAM...i use firefox and i can keep as many tab opened as i want and i game and never run out of RAM...i have 8GB.

BUT i plan an upgrade to 16GB soon because i've seen some games now (COD AW and dragon age) use up to almost 7GB on their own so i fear i might actualy need 16GB for future games soon or later.

Seriously? I know dragon age is pretty cpu intensive all my threads on my 4790k are at around 65-75% usage never checked ram

Seriously? I know dragon age is pretty cpu intensive all my threads on my 4790k are at around 65-75% usage never checked ram

yes those two games use up to 12 CPU threads if you happen to have them and will use upward of 6GB of RAM consistently, ...and my VRAM is also maxed out at 3GB while playing them...it's good stuff hehe :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd say go for it. I've been using 16GB recently and I've been loving it  :wub: Although, it' might be overkill for just gaming.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

you don't need 16gb ram today, but maybe you will in 2-3 years. Nobody knows

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Most modern games only take about 6GB, so having 8 gives you some breathing room. However, I wouldn't recommend playing YouTube videos while gaming with this.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have 8gb of ram, and it's been fine for me so far.  I frequently have 10+ chrome tabs open, spotify, steam, and a game, and it's been good.  The only time I maxed it out was using 5-10 chrome tabs, spotify, steam, photoshop, premiere, msi afterburner, and a bunch of file explorer windows.  

If you plan on mostly gaming, just get 8 gigs for now, but leave room on your motherboard for another 8gb in case you realize you need more.

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Most games take ~4.5-5GB of RAM  (some; few take just under 6GB but most of those are unoptimized games like Watch_dogs) I find 8 GB to be just fine

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

honestly I wouldn't upgrade ram till DDR4 cheapens and you are ready to move to it. it is gonna be a while before you need 16gb of ram unless you have some RAM hungry things running in the background (or on a second display) while gaming. I'm only using 6GB ram and the performance drop is very little while running stuff in the background and gaming

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

With a bunch of tabs on chrome and videos playing in the background I use about 3ish GB on desktop and games use <8gb most of the time. I recommend checking your task manager when you're stressing your computer to see how much ram you're using. If you're constantly at or near 100% then I would recommend getting another kit. If not then I would leave it alone. Adding more unused ram would make little to no difference in performance.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

The only reason I've ever found that my 8GB hasn't been enough was because I don't always close Chrome while gaming, and Chrome has a habit of insisting on having 12 instances open at a time.

I refuse to get more RAM for the sake of a web browser on principle.

Honestly 8Gb should be fine, i often have quite a lot youtube tabs open aswell and dont use all of my ram. You could of course go for 1x8gb stick and if you come to a point where you really need more just get another one.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I run an email server on my desktop, keep lots of stuff open and game, 16GB is just right, usually use about 12 with all that stuff open while playing titanfall

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.