New computer drivers, software and stress testing?

Guilty Baby
Go to solution Solved by Akolyte,

@Guilty Baby

No, don't install them from the disk.  Install them from the internet, if you need to install your LAN driver from the disk and go to your motherboard website http://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/ And download all the drivers esspecially, LAN, Audio, Sata, Chipset.  If your using a graphics card don't install the graphics ones for the motherboard. 

For your graphics card download AMD drivers here And Nvidia here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

For your Intel rig (I see your signature) download Intel Update Utility to keep drivers up to date http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect And download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Now that you've downloaded all these.  Install your Chipset drivers first, then Sata, then LAN, then graphics, then audio and then you can install the update utility and make sure your drivers are up to date.  

After that, run Intel Extreme tuning utility and run a stress test for I'd say about 3 hours on stock and see how it goes.   Most times you can run the memory test and that will be fine but you can run memtest86 for a more detailed test if you want. 

I just finished my first build yesterday with my friend. (Details below.) However, I have some questions.

What drivers would I need and where would I be able to get them? Do I need ethernet driver, SSD driver or like DX13 and stuff like that. Also is there a way to make drivers update themselves?

Additionally what software would guys recommend for a smoother PC experience? Stuff like GeForce Experience?

Lastly, what would do you guys use to stress test and monitor your systems? That's kinda important. I also heard some stress test can damage your system if you run it for too long.

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

GPU Drivers, install most of the stuff that comes on the disk with the mobo thats it really

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

I just finished my first build yesterday with my friend. (Details below.) However, I have some questions.

What drivers would I need and where would I be able to get them? Do I need ethernet driver, SSD driver or like DX13 and stuff like that. Also is there a way to make drivers update themselves?

Additionally what software would guys recommend for a smoother PC experience? Stuff like GeForce Experience?

Lastly, what would do you guys use to stress test and monitor your systems? That's kinda important. I also heard some stress test can damage your system if you run it for too long.

to start off with if you dont have a second computer download the ethernet drivers off your motherboard disk. then go to the motherboard/gpu/cpu etc websites to get all the drivers you need.

as for a smoother experience you can get free virus cleaners like ccleaner, spybot, avg

but im not sure about stress testing.

hoped this helped

wolffangs147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Mobo drivers

get from Asus Product page for your model which is the Ranger

GPU drivers get from nVidia.com

for stressing CPUs use ADIA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Software

never use Prime95 for CPU and Furmark for GPUs

Unigine Valley or Heaven are freeware for testing GPU performance 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@Guilty Baby

No, don't install them from the disk.  Install them from the internet, if you need to install your LAN driver from the disk and go to your motherboard website http://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/ And download all the drivers esspecially, LAN, Audio, Sata, Chipset.  If your using a graphics card don't install the graphics ones for the motherboard. 

For your graphics card download AMD drivers here And Nvidia here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

For your Intel rig (I see your signature) download Intel Update Utility to keep drivers up to date http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect And download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Now that you've downloaded all these.  Install your Chipset drivers first, then Sata, then LAN, then graphics, then audio and then you can install the update utility and make sure your drivers are up to date.  

After that, run Intel Extreme tuning utility and run a stress test for I'd say about 3 hours on stock and see how it goes.   Most times you can run the memory test and that will be fine but you can run memtest86 for a more detailed test if you want. 

@Guilty Baby

The motherboard website has a slew of BIOS updates, do I just download the latest one or all of them?

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

The motherboard website has a slew of BIOS updates, do I just download the latest one or all of them?

Generally unless you want more features, a certain bug fix or something updating your BIOS has no real benifits.  If you want to update your BIOS, download the latest one and update to that.  Don't install BETA ones though.  Only stable-released ones. 

Generally unless you want more features, a certain bug fix or something updating your BIOS has no real benifits.  If you want to update your BIOS, download the latest one and update to that.  Don't install BETA ones though.  Only stable-released ones. 

This applies to chipset drivers too? Because are 4 of them on the website. Version 10.0.0.1204, 10.0.14, 10.0.17, 10.0.20. So I would just download Version 10.0.20?

By the way, thanks for the helpful info!

PC Specs

This applies to chipset drivers too? Because are 4 of them on the website. Version 10.0.0.1204, 10.0.14, 10.0.17, 10.0.20. So I would just download Version 10.0.20?

always pick the latest version for BIOS as the lastest BIOS will have updates that are carried over from the previous version rolled into the new BIOS

you just need to extract the file directly into the thumbdrive which is formated to be FAT or FAT32

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Its nice to see how well this community works. Cheers guys!

Ninite.com is one nice place if you are new to PC building or otherwise just want multiple programs at once.

For system stress and monitoring there are lots of stuff but I personally recommend following:

- Benchmarking: 3DMark06, 3DMark, Unigine Valley & Heaven, CINEBENCH, ALLBenchmark, Novabench, SuperPi Mod

- Stress tests: Kombustor, OCCT, Aida64, IntelBurnTest, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (only Intel)

- Monitoring: MSI Afterburner, CPU-Z, HWmonitor, OpenHardwareMonitor, HWiNFO, CoreTemp, RealTemp

- Other stuff: Speedfan, GPU-Z, Speccy

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yup, you only need one driver.  Pick the latest stable one always.  For example if there was a chipset driver 15.01 was released march 2014 and driver 15.20 which was released december 2014 pick the latest one because that would contain all of the improvements ever made to the driver. 

Thanks a lot everyone.

PC Specs

Thanks a lot everyone.

Your welcome Guilty Baby, on behalf of everyone. 

Welcome to the forum and I hope you will join even some of our fun and off-topic stuff.  :) And feel free to post here or even message me if any issues arrise Thanks Guilty :)