A Guide To Constructive Criticism

Guest Philosophy
Go to solution Solved by Guest Philosophy,

This is going in my signature. more people need to know how to do this

Wow, thank you, it means a lot for sure!

A Basic Guide To Constructive Criticism

Basic Rules of Constructive Criticism:

1. Not all rules broken require any type of criticism (Mods are great at handling things too) 

2. All criticism should be constructive (If not, then do not say it)

3. If it is Constructive Criticism it should be fact not opinion

4. Always Explain what said person can do to improve

5.Always try to add a positive with a negative (ie, "Good job finding the article, maybe you can elaborate on your opinion next time, maybe add some quotes. The community guidelines state that, that is what is supposed to be done :D")

Some More Detail:

Active listing is a big part of constructive criticism, make sure you understand the other person first.  You should go in this order, Listen, Think and then Reply. Always make sure you understand the complete message before replying to anyone (It can be good to restate what they said differently). Constructive Criticism, is really just another word for feedback, so think of it that way.

Always have good intentions when giving Constructive Criticism, this is very important as without it all it is, is Criticism. Constructive Criticism is never for your own good. It is to help everybody, make sure that is what is happening.

Emotions should not play a part. (Ie. "Your action is making me bananas" should not be said.) it is easy to let our emotions control our actions.

This should help you start to give great Constructive Criticism. Enjoy :)

A Guide To Constructive Criticism

1. Not all rules broken require any type of criticism

5.Always try to add a positive with a negative (ie, "Good job finding the article, maybe you can elaborate on your opinion next time, maybe add some quotes. The community guidelines state that, that is what is supposed to be done :D")

Some More Detail:

Active listing is a big part of constructive criticism, make sure you understand the other person first.  You should go in this order, Listen, Think and then Reply. Always make sure you understand the complete message before replying to anyone (It can be good to restate what they said differently). Constructive Criticism, is really just another word for feedback, so think of it that way.

Always have good intentions when giving Constructive Criticism, this is very important as without it all it is, is Criticism. Constructive Criticism is never for your own good. It is to help everybody, make sure that is what is happening.

Emotions should not play a part. (Ie. "Your action is making me bananas" should not be said.) it is easy to let our emotions control our actions.

Some people just need a guide like this taped to their face 24/7 xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1. Not all rules broken require any type of criticism

Some More Detail:

This should be shown to everybody on the interwebs. Was it the post on the thing about Notch that inspired you to write this?

This should be shown to everybody on the interwebs. Was it the post on the thing about Notch that inspired you to write this?

Yes, sir. I figured I'd put my psychology major to use :)

Yes, sir. I figured I'd put my psychology major to use :)

It honestly does get kind of annoying everytime somebody says that something is violating the coc. How about you tell them what they did wrong politely and then help them so that it doesn't happen again. Its common sense.

I generally go with the  'shit sandwich' method for feedback. You tell them something positive, then the negative, then something positive to follow up.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Wow, thank you, it means a lot for sure!