HELP! Forgot to plug in CPU Power con. in MOBO now it wont start...

Schmelleck

I have build a new system and forgot to plug in the CPU power connector to the motherboard, when i powered the system ON everything worked for 10 seconds then it turned itself OFF "that was the part where i realized that the CPU connector was not plugged in". Now when i power the system ON the only thing that happens is a blinking led. PS. I already tried clearing the CMOS.

specs:

-MOBO: MSI GAMING 9 ac z97
-CPU: 4790k
-RAM: HyperX Beast 16GB 4x4
-GPU: ASUS GTX 780 ti 
-PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

did you plug in the cpu power connector? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Oh damn, it was a good mobo too.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

shouldnt be a dead board from the lack of a connector, usually they just dont power on. did you plug the EPS12V connector, and not the PCIE 8 pin connector?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Try unplugging all power connectors, plug them back in and then reset the BIOS again.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Did you accidentally plug a 8pin pci power into the eps slot on your mobo? or the eps into a vga

Are you sure that it's the EPS12V and not a PCIe card connector? Check the label.

If you're using a modular PSU can you make sure that the cables are securely plugged into the mobo and PSU?

Just to troubleshoot the problem, could you unplug the power cable and make sure that the outlet you are using works? Just try charging your phone for a moment or something.

Yes the outlet works, the only thing that lights up on the mobo is the powerbutton but when i press it for like 10 seconds a led on the mobo starts to blink

Try CLR CMOS while having the cables plugged out. Then make sure the 8 pin is in TIGHT! (don't put too much force though). Sometimes with a 4+4 pin one side doesn't quite go fully in.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Yes the outlet works, the only thing that lights up on the mobo is the powerbutton but when i press it for like 10 seconds a led on the mobo starts to blink

picture please

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Take the board out and test it on the outside of your case. could be a short somewhere. Use onboard graphics first to see if it boots.

Unplug 8 pin from mobo and see if it will last longer than 10 sec.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I hope you meant the motherboard

The CPU power connector is not in view.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did you plug in the cpu connector?  Cpu power connector = 4+4pin.   GPU connector = 6+2pin.   

Try unplug everything, take the motherboard out of the case.  Put it on the motherboard box and clear cmos, plug everything back in and switch it on.  Also, did you put on thermalpaste correctly?  And is the pump working on your cooler, sometimes H100i coolers can come and fail to work causing the CPU to overheat causing it to suddenly shut down.  I'd recommend taking off the H100i, taking out the cpu.  Check for any bent pins in the socket, put the cpu back in if its clear.  Put the stock cooler on, plug everything in and then switch it on again.   

Before that though try use a 4/3pin to molex connector and plug the H100i pump into a 12v molex, the pump will need full 12v to work effectively.  

Hope this helps :)  I know because i recently built a computer for a friend and the motherboard was dead, had to do some diagnosing myself.