Archaic Ram, a problem in modern systems?

So i just booted up speccy (awesome program by the way) for the umpteenth time, only to notice something that I've not noticed before,

My 8gb of ram, which i've been using for years is only 666MHz. I've never bothered to upgrade this as I've never really had ram related problems. Linus always speaks out about how low speed ram is sufficient for gaming, but i didn't realize you can get away with such low speeds. 

Has anybody else just not bothered to upgrade ram as their Archaic ram is sufficient for their light use case scenarios?

System is listed in the attachment

Thanks

Jinamgo

post-32867-0-50887300-1418828534.png

So i just booted up speccy (awesome program by the way) for the umpteenth time, only to notice something that I've not noticed before,

My 8gb of ram, which i've been using for years is only 666MHz. I've never bothered to upgrade this as I've never really had ram related problems. Linus always speaks out about how low speed ram is sufficient for gaming, but i didn't realize you can get away with such low speeds. 

Has anybody else just not bothered to upgrade ram as their Archaic ram is sufficient for their light use case scenarios?

Thanks

Jinamgo

666MHz is the base clock for 1333 effective memory. remmember what DDR3 stands for (Double data rate) :)

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

Try benchmarking your system and then compare it to others with the same CPU and GPU setup.

Edited by What's a GPU?

-J.T.

SNIP

you have to double the rate, you are using 1333mhz ram!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You are actually running 1333MHz, Speccy shows the core clock speed of your ram, but you have to remember it's DDR, Double Data Rate; meaning it's double (2 clocks running simultaneously)

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I guess i really don't have to upgrade my ram for ages yet then!

I do remember one benchmark where RAM speed did make a difference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409-4.html

Granted that's quite possibly the only game where it has ever made a difference, it's from nearly three years ago, the differences are all well over 100 FPS in that test, and the memory scaling almost vanishes when they went to Ultra detail.

Cough ram of the devil cough

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Thanks

Jinamgo

I was running my computer's RAM at 667MHz (DDR2-various manufacturers) for quite a while, even though it was rated at 800MHz. It took having to bump up the FSB speed from 333MHz to 400MHz to be able to actually get the full speed. Though I did notice that Windows 7 (on my old laptop anyway) runs extremely slow on anything less than 667. It came with 2x 1GB 447MHz modules (that was the actual speed-I couldn't believe it either as my desktops mobo says anything less than 667MHz is out of spec and may prevent the system from booting), and with no CPU load windows was almost impossible to use (NVS 110M 256MB graphics so that wasn't the issue)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL