Samsung Move Over, Graphene CMOS is Upon Us! (Almost)

http://thenews.pl/1/12/Artykul/189573,Polish-scientists-develop-revolutionary-graphene-machine

Long story short: the Polish scientists noted in the article have devised and produced a machine which can make 99.9% pure graphene sheets as large as 2500cm^2 in 4 hours each.

This is just the prototype machine and will not be commercially available until mid-2015 at the earliest. Also, IBM and Samsung and their pending lawsuits can suck it.

For those of you who don't know why this is amazing, graphene is one of if not the biggest contender to replace silicon after 3nm lithography. It's also 100% electrically efficient if correctly tainted by other elements. Furthermore, MIT and others have already produced basic single-core CPUs running at 400GHz and higher that barely give off heat.

Once you have a pure graphene wafer base (much like a silicon wafer) it's only a matter of spraying chemicals on it and running electrical currents to line them up. With this crucial step done, the new CMOS processes are trivial to develop by comparison since the best elecrochemists in the world have been doing it for so long.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Awesome :D 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Poland equalling the likes of the Japanese and South Korea in this area of technology manufacturing must bring great pride to the people working there.

Interesting article.

Zero core temp, hihihihi

This is great news, I cannot wait to finally say "we live in the graphene-age" instead of post-nuclear or whatever this is right now.

So fingers crossed.

oh...so my "Next news: graphene based processors 100x more efficient than silicon based processors" joke actually might be correct....

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Once you have a pure graphene wafer base (much like a silicon wafer) it's only a matter of spraying chemicals on it and running electrical currents to line them up.

Well, there's also the small issue that graphene isn't a semiconductor, so the chip architecture needs to be fundamentally different.

Well, there's also the small issue that graphene isn't a semiconductor, so the chip architecture needs to be fundamentally different.

MIT solved that a long time ago with negative voltage.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

CPU architecture can stay the same, only manufacturing it as graphene only needs to be combined with other chemicals to make it into a semiconductor.

or just make a gap in it, such as capacitors: http://www.nano-connect.org/news/news/converting-graphene-to-a-semiconductor 

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Poland equalling the likes of the Japanese and South Korea in this area of technology manufacturing must bring great pride to the people working there.

Interesting article.

Dat username tho.....

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

MIT solved that a long time ago with negative voltage.

Care to give a link?

Negative voltage is just voltage applied in an opposite direction. What can you apply it in opposite direction to to make a conductor function as a transistor?

CPU architecture can stay the same, only manufacturing it as graphene only needs to be combined with other chemicals to make it into a semiconductor.

or just make a gap in it, such as capacitors: http://www.nano-connect.org/news/news/converting-graphene-to-a-semiconductor 

The moment it becomes a semiconductor, it's no longer '100% effective' and as for the capacitor article, it says 'page cannot be found'

I bet that Samsung, IBM, GloFo, TSMC and Intel remain dominant even after the transition to graphene, because these guys simply want to sell manufacturing equipment to the big fabricators. More like "come over and buy our stuff!" than a "move over".

The moment it becomes a semiconductor, it's no longer '100% effective' and as for the capacitor article, it says 'page cannot be found'

methods for opening a so-called bandgap in the graphene and thereby converting it to a semiconductor.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

methods for opening a so-called bandgap in the graphene and thereby converting it to a semiconductor

Oh, I don't know why, but clicking on the link added some gibberish at the end for me, which made it give the 'page not found' message.

Anyway, from what I understand the actual promising prospect of graphene is using it to make chips that use elements that switch between conductivity and superconductivity, which is what would give the potential massive increase in clock speeds. I'm sure there are some benefits to using a graphene semiconductor over silicon, but I can't see how it would be groundbreaking.

Finally, a CPU that might not burn down my house. Those i7 processors are too hot for me. My Q6600 is cooler than that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Care to give a link?

Negative voltage is just voltage applied in an opposite direction. What can you apply it in opposite direction to to make a conductor function as a transistor?

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/518426/how-to-save-the-troubled-graphene-transistor/ I know this is just a link to the transistor, but they completed a chip about a year later.

I bet that Samsung, IBM, GloFo, TSMC and Intel remain dominant even after the transition to graphene, because these guys simply want to sell manufacturing equipment to the big fabricators. More like "come over and buy our stuff!" than a "move over".

The thing of it is IBM and Samsung both have a crap ton of IP surrounding graphene manufacturing processes. Samsung wants to sell foundry equipment.

This really sounds like a big step forward, so this material will allow for the same processors to be much smaller and faster. I am really scared that these chips will be priced sky high when they get commercially released, companies sure want to put a price tag on such performance.

So, 4k 120fps gaming next year confirmed?

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

This really sounds like a big step forward, so this material will allow for the same processors to be much smaller and faster. I am really scared that these chips will be priced sky high when they get commercially released, companies sure want to put a price tag on such performance.

So, 4k 120fps gaming next year confirmed?

Oh Hell no. I'd be shocked if experimental chip manufacturing was ready by 2018. We still don't have the CMOS process itself, not to mention it's a completely different design concept. That said, much smaller, much less power, much cooler, and much faster are a given.

Oh Hell no. I'd be shocked if experimental chip manufacturing was ready by 2018. We still don't have the CMOS process itself, not to mention it's a completely different design concept. That said, much smaller, much less power, much cooler, and much faster are a given.

I'm only joking, these things never go that fast. I'm happy that this breakthrough was made, which means it will arrive some day.

Thanks for the post, was an interesting read

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Interesting article.

Sure, but I bet our great country will run the idea into the ground and completely ignore its potential, just like they did with Lagiewka's bumper. Still too corrupt to amount to anything useful. Let's at least have hope.

anything with graphene is going to be insanely expensive

Until Graphene becomes easily manufactured, as this machine proves it can be.