PC stuttering/Lag

worton issk

I have been having issues were my computer keeps on stuttering in which it freezes for a few seconds then jumps forward. I have been trying to solve this problem for the last 2 months. I am on the brink of selling my entire computer and going back to console gaming. It is driving me mad I have looked at forums, blogs, websites, downloaded programmes. I have narrowed it down to either CPU, motherboard and RAM. The issue is heavily affected in games but when you watch videos it happens less often.Even when I move my mouse on desktop it seems to freeze then moves forward. 

My current system:

Cpu: AMD FX 6300

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M USB3

GPU: EVGA GTX 660

RAM: 8GB

PSU: 750W

Storage: 500gb hard drive and 80gb hard drive

I have uploaded two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkSQL_ePMME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMe9BgtMo0w

Please help me thank you

Have you checked your temp of your graphics card or processor? Disabling or enabling vsync? How about running Malewarebytes on your system to check for those? What about looking at the programs that run at startup?

Thank you for your response. I have removed my graphics card and the problem still persits so I have concluded that my graphics card is not the issue. My Cpu temps are fine I get about 15-20 degrees according to core temp.

I would assume you have done a full windows reinstall?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I would assume you have done a full windows reinstall?

Tried that no luck

What is your CPU/GPU usage when this happens?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

What is your CPU/GPU usage when this happens?

It is not even close to 100% the highest it will reach is roughly 20% but most of the time it usually under 10%.

It is not even close to 100% the highest it will reach is roughly 20% but most of the time it usually under 10%.

the cpu or gpu? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

ASUS M5A78L-M is a god-awful motherboard. I had one myself. Are you overclocking on it? Because the VRM on the board gets toasty very quickly.

EDIT: Also, when did this start?

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Can you RMA the mobo? Or Anything for that matter

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

ASUS M5A78L-M is a god-awful motherboard. I had one myself. Are you overclocking on it? Because the VRM on the board gets toasty very quickly.

I don't know how to overclock I stay away from that stuff maybe in the future I will give it a try lol

EDIT: Also, when did this start?

Back in June some point

I don't know how to overclock I stay away from that stuff maybe in the future I will give it a try lol

Try go into BIOS and disable AMD turbo core technology, Cool 'n Quiet and C1E.

What is that?

It's when you send it back on warranty for a replacement.\

Back in June some point

And you are sure it wasn't like this when you first installed the CPU?

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

I bought it refurbished in which it was tested from a reliable computer shop but it only had 30 days warranty

What is that?

Essentially warranty replacement done through the manufacture. Send it away and they either test it or send you a knew. Kinda have to lie to them and say it broken even if it's not. But unless you have a better way of eliminating potential problems and after 2 months of trying I would say this is a logical next step. I would Start with the mobo.
Spoiler

My guess is motherboard VRMs overheating.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you put your graphics card back in do its drivers install properly? And what about everything else's drivers? Did they get installed with no issue? Does prime95 throw any errors? If you think it's your RAM you could burn Memtest86 to a CD and let it do a full pass to see if it throws any errors to see if your RAM is faulty.

Everything got installed properly. I did run prime95 for about 3 hours that didn't show any error messages. For ram I used the windows memory diagnostic tool which no errors where shown.

I have tried that but no luck. I am pretty sure it wasn't like that was working fine.

My guess is motherboard VRMs overheating.

Please explain further. Thank you

Please explain further. Thank you

Voltage Regulation Modules(VRMs).  The FX processors are fairly old, and use a lot of power.  Because of this, they require lots of strong and steady voltage.  VRMs on AM3 motherboards are a big problem for the majority of people.  To make things worse, you're on a micro ATX motherboard, so the chance for overheating is intensified.  Going mATX with FX at all is considered bad.  Is it possible for you to go into a game like BF4, or Crysis3 and monitor your CPU loads in Task Manager.  If you see your CPU graph bouncing up and down a lot, it could mean that your VRMs are overheating, causing throttling, which is stifling your CPU's performance.

You have the Asus M5A78L-M motherboard.  Looking at the AM3+ Motherboard Phasing Chart, we see that it is a 4+1, non-heatsinked VRM phase design.  This is not good, even for stock speeds.

You should first run the test I recommended above, and second, try and place a fan directly over your motherboard's VRMs.  The VRMs are found around the socket of the CPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'd try Memtest then. Its a bit more hard on your components and really works the memory to see if its working properly.

Is that simular to prime 95 where it keeps on testing your components until you decide to stop it?

Voltage Regulation Modules(VRMs).  The FX processors are fairly old, and use a lot of power.  Because of this, they require lots of strong and steady voltage.  VRMs on AM3 motherboards are a big problem for the majority of people.  To make things worse, you're on a micro ATX motherboard, so the chance for overheating is intensified.  Going mATX with FX at all is considered bad.  Is it possible for you to go into a game like BF4, or Crysis3 and monitor your CPU loads in Task Manager.  If you see your CPU graph bouncing up and down a lot, it could mean that your VRMs are overheating, causing throttling, which is stifling your CPU's performance.

You have the Asus M5A78L-M motherboard.  Looking at the AM3+ Motherboard Phasing Chart, we see that it is a 4+1, non-heatsinked VRM phase design.  This is not good, even for stock speeds.

You should first run the test I recommended above, and second, try and place a fan directly over your motherboard's VRMs.  The VRMs are found around the socket of the CPU.

Thank you for your helpful answer but I don't have any of those games. I do have watch dogs which is probably one of the most stuttering/laggy game I played. I do have all the batman,all gta and tomb raider games that I could try.

I played watch dogs and my CPU usage was between 50-60% and at one point it went to 70% while playing the game at windowed.

I guess I could put it this way, its like Prime95 for your RAM. It runs a test on your RAM, but has a deffinate stopping point, after it runs through all of your RAM, it will throw a text blurm on your screen that says something along the lines of "Pass completed". It will start the test over but it will tell you once its completed the test, but you can leave it running if you want it to do another one.

How long does that take? because I heard that your suppose to run prime 95 for 24 hours