GTX 980 Classy vs GTX 980 HOF

Go to solution Solved by MountainDrew,

Nah. I'd rather not go the SLi route. Wanting to get some high end stuff this time round. Also the fear that one card hits higher than the other in clocks. 

3440x1440 is what i was getting at. Unless that is a weird resolution for games. 

Then I would get the Classified 980, since I trust EVGA from my experience with my GTX 780 SC from them.

Alright, ready yourselves ladies. 

End of the month the cash will be at hand ready to be spent on wither one of these cards. 

What i want to know is which of these will do the better job. For gaming and of course, overclocking.

Does Galax have support like EVGA? Or does EVGA have any stand out features like the Galax card? 

Looking at these two only. Will probably step up to 3440x1440p, (ultra-wide or whatever it is) later down the line as well. 

Already looked at reviews and benchmarks but want a greater option on these two GPUs. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

They all peform about the same, not worth it to pay 70$ more for the ability to overclock 100mhz higher.

But if you like the design, go for the HOF edition.

If you're only gaming at 1440p, go for the gTX 970 to be honest. Save the cash. The 970 is really fast, and will be pretty awesome. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Since EVGA has such great customer support and the Classified 980 can just be overclocked to match or even outspeed the HoF, I would go with the EVGA Classified 980.

Though you could always go with SLI GTX 970s as @ilikemacandpc said.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Since EVGA has such great customer support and the Classified 980 can just be overclocked to match or even outspeed the HoF, I would go with the EVGA Classified 980.

Though you could always go with SLI GTX 970s as @ilikemacandpc said.

Nah. I'd rather not go the SLi route. Wanting to get some high end stuff this time round. Also the fear that one card hits higher than the other in clocks. 

If you're only gaming at 1440p, go for the gTX 970 to be honest. Save the cash. The 970 is really fast, and will be pretty awesome. 

3440x1440 is what i was getting at. Unless that is a weird resolution for games. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Classy all the way, its just way more... classy.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Then I would get the Classified 980, since I trust EVGA from my experience with my GTX 780 SC from them.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Do you know anything about their warranty when it comes to card overvolting? Since the card will run it's life at mostly 1500MHz+ 

Classy all the way, its just way more... classy.

You're a funny guy. I like you. 

You're a funny guy. I like you. 

I have never like how any of the HOF cards have looked. they seem to appeal more to people who are looking for a real in your face kind of card. Where EVGAs cards are very conservatively styled and, IMHO much more of a classy looking card.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have never like how any of the HOF cards have looked. they seem to appeal more to people who are looking for a real in your face kind of card. Where EVGAs cards are very conservatively styled and, IMHO much more of a classy looking card.

What would the world be like with no "IN YOUR FACE" stuff

What would the world be like with no "IN YOUR FACE" stuff

I'm not saying that it doesnt have its place, its just not going in my case.

Do you know anything about their warranty when it comes to card overvolting? Since the card will run it's life at mostly 1500MHz+ 

Yes, if you register the card within 30 days of purchase you will get their limited lifetime warranty.

And yes, you can overclock to your hearts content and still be under warranty (damages not covered by the warranty include: physical damage, water damage, or modifying of the cards BIOS).

MY CURRENT PC

Yes, if you register the card within 30 days of purchase you will get their limited lifetime warranty.

And yes, you can overclock to your hearts content and still be under warranty (damages not covered by the warranty include: physical damage, water damage, or modifying of the cards BIOS).

Brilliant. I'll defo be looking out for the Classy on Overclockers when xmas/January sales rolls around.

Product condition: This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of the Product by the Purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not cover:
  • Defects or damage resulting from accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to liquid, submersion in oil, use of adhesives, use of solder, moisture, rust, cigarette residue, dampness, sand or dirt, neglect, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress.
  • Scratches, dents or cosmetic damage(s) caused to the product.
  • Defects or damage resulting from excessive force.
  • Equipment that has the serial number or factory identification labels removed, defaced, damaged, altered or made illegible.
  • Defects or damage resulting from 'the use of a product in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or secondary peripheral equipment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damages resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damage resulting from external causes such as collision with an object, fire, flooding, dirt, windstorms, lightning, earthquake, exposure to weather conditions, theft, blown fuses, or improper use of any electrical source.
  • Unauthorized changes to the BIOS or Firmware on graphics card that does not have a Dual BIOS option may cause this warranty to be null and void.

I quote "misuse" can be pronounced as they like, as example: overclocking

"abnormal use", "improper testing" "adjustment" these are all not covered by warranty

Product condition: This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of the Product by the Purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not cover:

• Defects or damage resulting from accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to liquid, submersion in oil, use of adhesives, use of solder, moisture, rust, cigarette residue, dampness, sand or dirt, neglect, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress.
  • Scratches, dents or cosmetic damage(s) caused to the product.
  • Defects or damage resulting from excessive force.
  • Equipment that has the serial number or factory identification labels removed, defaced, damaged, altered or made illegible.
  • Defects or damage resulting from 'the use of a product in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or secondary peripheral equipment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damages resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
  • Defects or damage resulting from external causes such as collision with an object, fire, flooding, dirt, windstorms, lightning, earthquake, exposure to weather conditions, theft, blown fuses, or improper use of any electrical source.
  • Unauthorized changes to the BIOS or Firmware on graphics card that does not have a Dual BIOS option may cause this warranty to be null and void.

Well yes, all of that  :P

MY CURRENT PC

I quote "misuse" can be pronounced as they like, as example: overclocking

"abnormal use", "improper testing" "adjustment" these are all not covered by warranty

On the EVGA website everyone overclocks their cards and they are still covered by warranty.

They have their own overclocking software as well: EVGA Precision X

I don't think that EVGA would try to penalize you for overclocking because of this.

MY CURRENT PC

On the EVGA website everyone overclocks their cards and they are still covered by warranty.

They have their own overclocking software as well: EVGA Precision X

Read the agreement of their software, they do not cover any damage done by their software.

Read the agreement of their software, they do not cover any damage done by their software.

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=133591

MY CURRENT PC

WOW, thats what I call support! thanks for the link 

No problem.

MY CURRENT PC

Brilliant. I'll defo be looking out for the Classy on Overclockers when xmas/January sales rolls around.

definitely in a sale. wouldn't pay full price for it!

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

• 3 weeks later...

So you want the fastest GPU you can find, but you don't want it to look like anything other than an ordinary card?  Am I missing something here?

If your case has a window to show off your hardware then why not get hardware worth showing off?

So you want the fastest GPU you can find, but you don't want it to look like anything other than an ordinary card? Am I missing something here?

If your case has a window to show off your hardware then why not get hardware worth showing off?

Have you not seen the classy card? I know the HOF does like great but it does have a major clash with the black and orange theme :/

Yeah the classy has a red accent but that I can live with.

Case is the 750D which is more than happy to show off any £500+ GPU.

Not much of an accent, but I will admit that it would be a lot easier to paint the case on the classified than it would the HOF.  You're at least in the ballpark.

Funny thing is I had settled on the classified when I stumbled across the HOF.  I already planned on the ASUS X99 Deluxe (white) mobo and then I managed to pick up one of the new SeaSonic Snow Silent PSUs on the first day they were released.  All that white and gray sealed the deal for me.  Of course now I have to get my case (Thermaltake Core V51) powder coated . . .