Overclocking GTX 970 G1

Powtmow

What do you recommend me to overclock my gtx 970 g1 ? (Im a beginner at overclocking , its my first time)

What do you recommend me to overclock my gtx 970 g1 ? (Im a beginner at overclocking , its my first time)

Yeah, it's free extra performance and you have one of the best overclocking 970's out there. Don't do it if you're feeling uncomfortable about doing it though.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

If you don't want to harm your card don't overvolt it. You can't harm your card with a software overclock.

Tools you need:

-MSI Afterburner

-3DMark Demo

-Unigine Heaven or Valley (having both is recommended)

Install everything, run MSI Afterburner and follow this:

- Max out power limit (don't worry, you're not overvolting)

- Run Heaven Benchmark in extreme preset (Is Windowed). let ir run at background

- Remember: One thing at a time, start with core clock; Start the OC increasing the Core Clock 10MHZ at a time.

- When you increase the core clock, wait 2 minutes, if the benchmark doesn't crash or if there's no artifacts (weird dots and stuff on the screen) keep pushing

- If the benchmark crash or you see artifacts, back up 10Mhz and run a full loop of the benchmark, if it passes you've found the max stable clockspeed.

- Remember the number you achieved, now undo the overclock you just made in the core, and repeat the steps with the memory (My G1 Gaming have a +500 offset, so go with increases of 20Mhz to save some time and don't wait that much after applying the overclock).

- If it crashes or you see artifacts, back up 10Mhz and run a full loop.

When you found the max clocks, apply both Memory and Core clockspeeds andrun a full loop of Heaven. If it crashes you know what to do (back up 10Mhz in both Memory and Core)

If it passes Heaven, now try that with Valley, 3D Mark Firestrike and 3D Mark SkyDiver.

If it passes all that congratulations, now you have a stable OC.

You know what to do if it crashes or if you see artifacts in any benchmark (back up 10Mhz in both Memory and Core)

Good luck :D

But can you broke your GPU if you do it wrong?

The steps I said? Nope, your games will crash or you can get a BSOD if your OC isn't stable, but you can't harm the card.

(Also please quote me so I get a notification)

If you don't want to harm your card don't overvolt it. You can't harm your card with a software overclock.

Tools you need:

-MSI Afterburner

-3DMark Demo

-Unigine Heaven or Valley (having both is recommended)

Install everything, run MSI Afterburner and follow this:

- Max out power limit (don't worry, you're not overvolting)

- Run Heaven Benchmark in extreme preset (Is Windowed). let ir run at background

- Remember: One thing at a time, start with core clock; Start the OC increasing the Core Clock 10MHZ at a time.

- When you increase the core clock, wait 2 minutes, if the benchmark doesn't crash or if there's no artifacts (weird dots and stuff on the screen) keep pushing

- If the benchmark crash or you see artifacts, back up 10Mhz and run a full loop of the benchmark, if it passes you've found the max stable clockspeed.

- Remember the number you achieved, now undo the overclock you just made in the core, and repeat the steps with the memory (My G1 Gaming have a +500 offset, so go with increases of 20Mhz to save some time and don't wait that much after applying the overclock).

- If it crashes or you see artifacts, back up 10Mhz and run a full loop.

When you found the max clocks, apply both Memory and Core clockspeeds andrun a full loop of Heaven. If it crashes you know what to do (back up 10Mhz in both Memory and Core)

If it passes Heaven, now try that with Valley, 3D Mark Firestrike and 3D Mark SkyDiver.

If it passes all that congratulations, now you have a stable OC.

You know what to do if it crashes or if you see artifacts in any benchmark (back up 10Mhz in both Memory and Core)

Good luck :D

Nicely written ;) . Thumbs up for that!

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Nicely written ;) . Thumbs up for that!

Thanks :D Sorry if you find any horrible mistake, English isn't my native language.

OP: Tell us how it ended up or if you have any issues, we are here to help

Thanks :D Sorry if you find any horrible mistake, English isn't my native language.

I will try this in a moment and thanks for the help man! :D

So if i understand when the core clock is ok i reset it and i do the same thing with the memory clock?

So if i understand when the core clock is ok i reset it and i do the same thing with the memory clock?

Yes :) One thing at a time. When you're done with both memory and core clock you test both.

Yes :) One thing at a time. When you're done with both memory and core clock you test both.

Do you know approximately what is the maximum core clock?

Do you know approximately what is the maximum core clock?

Mine it's at 8000Mhz (+500 in Afterburner)

How much did you got?

If you got tired or don't have time, give it a shot with +400Mhz and test

Mine is at +115 core clock and +410 Memory clock. Is that good?

Mine it's at 8000Mhz (+500 in Afterburner)

How much did you got?

If you got tired or don't have time, give it a shot with +400Mhz and test

And do you recommend me to apply the overclocking at system startup??

Mine is at +115 core clock and +410 Memory clock. Is that good?

And do you recommend me to apply the overclocking at system startup??

It's pretty fine. What are your actual in-game clockspeeds?

Apply at startup only if it's 100% stable. If you survived all that benchmarks I think you're good enough.

You saved the settings in a profile right?

It's pretty fine. What are your actual in-game clockspeeds?

Apply at startup only if it's 100% stable. If you survived all that benchmarks I think you're good enough.

You saved the settings in a profile right?

How do i know that? and yes i saved the setting in a profile.

How do i know that? and yes i saved the setting in a profile.

Good. You can see that in the Afterburner Graphs right after you close the game.

If you want you can use RivaTuner Statistics Server, is an OSD (On Screen Display) to monitor and show you stuff like FPS, Frametime, Clockspeeds, Temps, usage etc in real time while gaming.

RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server) is included in Afterburner, I guess you installed it :)

overclocking... You in a game & it just crashes, No overclocking You are in a game all day.

overclocking... You in a game & it just crashes, No overclocking You are in a game all day.

You can game all day with a stable OC.