sennheiser HD598 vs Audio Technica ATH - AD900X

tztimlee
Go to solution Solved by swifty7,

As an AD900x owner, I HIGHLY recommend them.  It has a very balanced sound, best mids you'll ever hear.  Games/movies comes to life with it.  All it needs is a bit of break-in period and a headphone amp.  Also, they're very comfortable, but the 598 might be a bit more.  I for one don't like Sennheiser sound signature, the 558 I own sounds like dog shit.  For $160 don't even hesitate.  I was lucky to get them for $155 imported from Japan.  The AD900x also provides very good bass, especially after the break-in period, you will also experience sub-bass in some occasions which sounds fantastic.   Playing Alien Isolation with these cans is an experience to be held.  If feels like you're really inside the ship.  You'll hear every creak, crackle and rumble.  It has an expansive soundstage.  In the end the AD900x can handle anything you can throw at it.

I'm looking to replace my headphones for christmas and i've decided on these two since they both cost around the same and they both have good reviews. I'm mostly going to be gaming and listening to music on these and will probably be attaching a modmic to them as well. I've tried on the sennheiser one and they seem quite comfortable but I haven't tried the audio technica ones. Which one would you guys recommend 

I can get both for about $160. does the price-performance of the hd518 still hold up?

between these 2, it isn't about A is better than B. Sound is very very subjective. If you want a somewhat warm sounding headphone (read: more bass) go with the HD598, it does however has a 'veiled' sound of the mid (vocal) that not everyone might like

AD-900X on the other hand is very 'airy' it has a more elevated treble over the other parts (read: less bass) of the sound and creates a bright and more open sounding headphone. Hence, it has better soundstage compared to HD598 (as bright headphone generally does)

If I have to pick between the 2, i would pick AD-900X just because i like a very sweet sounding. but again, this is very personal. Both are excellent headphones.

As an AD900x owner, I HIGHLY recommend them.  It has a very balanced sound, best mids you'll ever hear.  Games/movies comes to life with it.  All it needs is a bit of break-in period and a headphone amp.  Also, they're very comfortable, but the 598 might be a bit more.  I for one don't like Sennheiser sound signature, the 558 I own sounds like dog shit.  For $160 don't even hesitate.  I was lucky to get them for $155 imported from Japan.  The AD900x also provides very good bass, especially after the break-in period, you will also experience sub-bass in some occasions which sounds fantastic.   Playing Alien Isolation with these cans is an experience to be held.  If feels like you're really inside the ship.  You'll hear every creak, crackle and rumble.  It has an expansive soundstage.  In the end the AD900x can handle anything you can throw at it.

oh ok, thanks. which headphone amp do you recommend? I won't be getting one soon, but just for future reference.

• 4 weeks later...

well!!  it all depends in how much you want to spend.  I hear the Schiit magni is good for the price.

oh ok, thanks. which headphone amp do you recommend? I won't be getting one soon, but just for future reference.

Neither of them need one, E10K if you insist.  Also, best if you demo the Audio-Technica's first.  If you need elastic to keep it on your head, don't even consider it.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh