Should I sell my twin G1 GTX 970?

Daniel91
Go to solution Solved by Daniel91,

No.. A GTX 970 is almost the same as the GTX 980, so it would make pretty much no sense to sell those and go for a single 980.

Nooo, a 970 can match a 980. Twin 970 destroy a single 980

ok thank you guys I won't sell then

I'm running SLI GTX 970 G1sshould I sell my GPUs and go for a single GTX 980? I have a friend intrested in buying the 2 cards because of the higher over clocked s[eed he's willing to pay extra and I really like the look of the refrence GTX 98 from ASUS (the titan version)

since Linus always says  a single powerful card is better

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

No.. A GTX 970 is almost the same as the GTX 980, so it would make pretty much no sense to sell those and go for a single 980.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Linus have said that in some cases a single powerful card isn't better, and SLI GTX 970 vs single GTX 980, is one of those cases where the SLI is better.

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

I actually remember him saying that because of the price of the 970 is so competitive its actually a good idea since the price of a 980 plus a bit more will net you a large increase in performance. Since the price jump to a 980 is high but performance isnt that high

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Do you have any major problems with SLI right now? Yes, sell them. No, keep them. Who cares what Linus says "in general" when we talk about your specific case (especially when you already own both cards).

Linus have said that in some cases a single powerful card isn't better, and SLI GTX 970 vs single GTX 980, is one of those cases where the SLI is better.

That's only true for low end cards if the single card is roughly the same price as the 2 lesser cards.

2 970's shits all over a 980.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What..there is a 20% difference. I agree the 980 is quite expensive, but don't make stuff up...

Actually if you OC your 970 it's not hard at all to make it pass a 980

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

ok thank you guys I won't sell then

Actually if you OC your 970 it's not hard at all to make it pass a 980

.... So you overclock the 980 and get the same 20% advantage again. What kind of a skewed comparisson is that.

NO :o the 980 is absurdly overpriced compared to the 970, and two 970s absolutely devastate a single 980.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

.... So you overclock the 980 and get the same 20% advantage again. What kind of a skewed comparisson is that.

lol just playing the devils advocate here, you can get a 970 to the same level as a 980, and also in most cases you won't see much difference between the two anyway.

Do you have any major problems with SLI right now? Yes, sell them. No, keep them. Who cares what Linus says "in general" when we talk about your specific case (especially when you already own both cards).

No problems at all they are performing beautifully,

I was asking cos I remembered a video Linus said that he always went for a single powerful card over a SLI so I wasn't too sure

I got both my cards to run stable without overvolting at 1585 MHz so my friend said he wanted both cardsso I thought it would be a good chance to upgrade to a GTX 980 but after reading the comments I think I'll stick to  my SLI

lol just playing the devils advocate here, you can get a 970 to the same level as a 980, and also in most cases you won't see much difference between the two anyway.

But it's an unfair comparisson. You overclock the one, but not the other. Either keep both stock, or overclock both. This is just common sense, i'm confused as to why this needs explaining.

If you can afford two 980s and you want it then go for it, you can overclock a 970 to basically be a 980 but two 970s overclocked is not going to beat 2 980s overclocked.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

Sorry I read original post as two 980s lol.

Two 970s standard will still beat an overclocked 980.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

This is getting so stupid... everyday people tell others that a 2 way GTX970 SLI destroys a single GTX980... wow hard task...

Get this straight, when you run in stock or OC both cards the GTX980 will always be the faster card, period.

Some people just want the fastest card on the market and guess what, might surprise some people here, but there's nothing better than SLI some of the fastest cards. Same discussion as always 2 GTX670 detroy... 2 GTX780 destroy... as a matter of fact if you take the single card performance or SLI the higher end card as well you'll always end in second place... and not everyone looks on every dollar, and usually people that don't have the extra cash to spend mouth off how worse the highend cards are in price to performance, ridiculous.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

This is getting so stupid... everyday people tell others that a 2 way GTX970 SLI destroys a single GTX980... wow hard task...

Get this straight, when you run in stock or OC both cards the GTX980 will always be the faster card, period.

Some people just want the fastest card on the market and guess what, might surprise some people here, but there's nothing better than SLI some of the fastest cards. Same discussion as always 2 GTX670 detroy... 2 GTX780 destroy... as a matter of fact if you take the single card performance or SLI the higher end card as well you'll always end in second place... and not everyone looks on every dollar, and usually people that don't have the extra cash to spend mouth off how worse the highend cards are in price to performance, ridiculous.

Erm, what? Nobody here commented on SLI 970s vs SLI 980s..... The OP asked a question about SLI 970s vs a single 980, and as long as SLI scales reasonably well the 2 cards will outperform the 980, obviously. What exactly was your point again?

Erm, what? Nobody here commented on SLI 970s vs SLI 980s..... The OP asked a question about SLI 970s vs a single 980, and as long as SLI scales reasonably well the 2 cards will outperform the 980, obviously. What exactly was your point again?

That is the point, isn't it obvious that the GTX970 2way SLI outperforms a single GTX980 by far and gives you an awesome price to performance ratio? I just pointed out that there are so many benchmarks out there that shows what the cards can and can't in single and multi GPU performance. It is just not necessary to stretch out that everytime how a multi GPU setup outruns a single card.

But I'm glad that you feel chosen to point it out to me again.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

But it's an unfair comparisson. You overclock the one, but not the other. Either keep both stock, or overclock both. This is just common sense, i'm confused as to why this needs explaining.

No I know but I think what was being got at was that you can have a 970 run just as well as a stock 980 and so in that sense they are infact so close together in performance it doesn't make that big a difference. also if you look at real world benches you'll find that the performance difference irl is somewhere more in the 5-10% range which actually means its definitely possible to get a 970 that when overclocked will perform just as well as an overclocked 980 (obviously depending on how the silicon lotter goes for ya :) )

No I know but I think what was being got at was that you can have a 970 run just as well as a stock 980 and so in that sense they are infact so close together in performance it doesn't make that big a difference. also if you look at real world benches you'll find that the performance difference irl is somewhere more in the 5-10% range which actually means its definitely possible to get a 970 that when overclocked will perform just as well as an overclocked 980 (obviously depending on how the silicon lotter goes for ya :) )

Your argument still doesn't make any sense. Performance difference between stock 970 and stock 980 is ~20%. You can marginalise all you want, the 970 is not the same card as a 980. The 980 is pricy, but ultimately a superior card by a fair margin. Is it a hefty premium? Sure, but you're not paying it for a nametag alone.

That is the point, isn't it obvious that the GTX970 2way SLI outperforms a single GTX980 by far and gives you an awesome price to performance ratio? I just pointed out that there are so many benchmarks out there that shows what the cards can and can't in single and multi GPU performance. It is just not necessary to stretch out that everytime how a multi GPU setup outruns a single card.

But I'm glad that you feel chosen to point it out to me again.

So you answered a question that nobody asked in a thread that was already answered? That doesn't make any sense and seems like a waste of everybodys time (just like this passive agressive conversation here).

So you answered a question that nobody asked in a thread that was already answered? That doesn't make any sense and seems like a waste of everybodys time (just like this passive agressive conversation here).

Oh so I can't write my opinion in a thread was answered, and passive agressive is such a nice excuse because you stated that, when the thread was already answered too btw, but at least you collect more postings.

EDIT: And as you pointed out so smartly the thread is answered I wont answer any more of your statements, no matter how senseless they might be.