2 wired connections to internet?

Eastwind
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

so you mean to say my current rig connection to router stays, and I can get a powerline adaptor kit for my 2nd rig?

1 Cat5 cable from router to powerline adaptor 1 -> 2nd Cat5 cable from Rig 2 to powerline adaptor 2. Am I correct? So both powerline and network switch method are suitable? 

Right.  Either method would work, you could get a switch and plug it in place of your rig, then wire both rigs to the switch (effectively acting as an ethernet splitter) or you could leave the setup as it is now and get a powerline adapter kit, connect the second rig to a powerline adapter in the wall nearby, plug in the second powerline adapter near the router and connect them.

I am about to build a new gaming rig which makes my home to a total of 2 desktops. I intend to go wired connection on both of my rigs because wired connections are better for gaming in general. Things would be easy if my router is near the PCs which I can just direct connect to my 2nd rig, but unfortunately, no. And I do not want my cable to run through the living room to connect.

Question is: How to I establish 2 wired connections to the internet without moving the router closer to the PCs?

Will a network switch help? 

INTERNET <------> Router <------> Network switch <------> RIG 1

<------> RIG 2

You can use the router to connect both rigs, how many ports does the router have? If 1 then you need a switch ..

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Yes I could, my router has like 4 to 5 ports but its far away and I can't shift it closer to my PCs due to ISP port and wiring constraints. Can the network switch solve my problem of establishing 2 wired connections?

Right now, my current rig is directly connected to the router and that cable is being run around the house to my rig. If I get a network switch and place it near my rigs, am I right to say I should use that particular cable to connect to the switch, which would create an uplink connection between the switch and router. After which, I would need 2 more CAT5 cables to connect my 2 rigs to the switch. Is this the correct set up?

Sounds like you need a pair of powerline adapters.

so you mean to say my current rig connection to router stays, and I can get a powerline adaptor kit for my 2nd rig?

1 Cat5 cable from router to powerline adaptor 1 -> 2nd Cat5 cable from Rig 2 to powerline adaptor 2. Am I correct? So both powerline and network switch method are suitable? 

Right.  Either method would work, you could get a switch and plug it in place of your rig, then wire both rigs to the switch (effectively acting as an ethernet splitter) or you could leave the setup as it is now and get a powerline adapter kit, connect the second rig to a powerline adapter in the wall nearby, plug in the second powerline adapter near the router and connect them.

If I understood your situation correctly, an ethernet switch is a much better solution than powerline.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)